Dispatch said Trailers DON'T Need Load Bars

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
I've been in Feeders for six years and 14 total with company, and I was always told, starting out as a loader, that all trailers need a load bar or strap before you shut it down. Now that we are low on load bars, I'm being told that they don't need them and that it's not a DOT requirement, contrary to what I read in Title 49 years ago, and I got told, as a shifter, to stop sitting on moves and just pull the trailer when it's shut down. I've been putting load bars on trailers this entire time and it's never been an issue until now.

I know a lot of drivers don't care about load bars anymore. I only do it because it's UPS policy (although apparently not anymore according to someone in dispatch) and I thought it was a DOT regulation. However, I can't find the information on load bars/straps in §396 regarding load securement, but I know it found it somewhere.

So, short of talking to safety or stopping at my local FMCSA, I figured I would ask here tonight and check out the answers in the morning.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ya Dad

Found it.

§ 393.106 (b)

General. Cargo must be firmly immobilized or secured on or within a vehicle by structures of adequate strength, dunnage or dunnage bags, shoring bars, tiedowns or a combination of these.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I've been in Feeders for six years and 14 total with company, and I was always told, starting out as a loader, that all trailers need a load bar or strap before you shut it down. Now that we are low on load bars, I'm being told that they don't need them and that it's not a DOT requirement, contrary to what I read in Title 49 years ago, and I got told, as a shifter, to stop sitting on moves and just pull the trailer when it's shut down.
Wait, are you asking as a shifter or as a driver?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Our shifter didn’t appreciate safety compliance or safety committees, he was eventually severely injured in the head with an unsecured irregular hitting him in the noggin.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was a long time steward, myself and my E Board‘s position regarding UPS Safety Training was that “work as directed” never , ever trumped UPS safety training.
Point is, the company can change what is current safety protocol and what is not. Things change. You do not make the rules. Is bracing really necessary? Don't know?

Ya Dad

Trained to "work as directed". Do what thry tell you to do.

@Ya Dad
You think not using the bars to be a major issue?
It goes against UPS policy, how I've been trained in the hub and as a driver, and it's DOT regulation, so yes, it's an issue. They are low on load bars so now they are saying it's not a violation to skip using load bars. I have never pulled a load without one and I don't plan on starting now. They have so many rules that they enforce on us but don't want to follow them if it's inconvenient for the company. They don't like me sitting on a move, I get it, but if the trailer isn't ready, the trailer isn't ready. Lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Ya Dad

That's nice and obtuse.

Are you asking about a load you are going to be driving off of UPS property?
I must have misunderstood your question. There are hubs where non-uniformed employees are shifters. I was clarifying that at our hub, you must be in Feeders in order bid on and win a shift job.

over9five

Staff member
Wait, are you asking as a shifter or as a driver?
This is a great question. I would think:

If you're shifting (not pulling the trailer on-road), you have to work as directed.

Up to the driver who takes it on-road to make sure there's a load bar.

Also, I appreciate that a shifter would take the time to put a load bar in. That would NEVER happen here....

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I must have misunderstood your question. There are hubs where non-uniformed employees are shifters. I was clarifying that at our hub, you must be in Feeders in order bid on and win a shift job.
I don't think you misunderstood the question, I think you didn't answer it on purpose.

I think you're a shifter, trying to use DOT regulations as a reason to take time to put load retainers up before moving a trailer when management told you not to do that.

I don't think that's going to go well for you.
Good luck though.