Anything I can do?

upsgrunt

Let me summarize a preloaders job:

1. Read the PAL label.

2. Locate shelf/floor location.

3. Load package.

4. Repeat 800-1200 times during shift.

Sounds like rocket science to me.

Have you ever done it? It's much easier to make it sound easy than to do it. I wouldn't make such statements until you've walked a mile in a preloader's shoes.

govols019

You smell that?
And here we go again. The semi-annual preload vs. driver debate.

Which job is tougher on your mind? Driving. Which job is tougher on your body? Preload

Good job management. You lied to the woman and you know it. More than likely the husbands load increased because of IE cutting allowances, the driver is more than likely over dispatched daily QUOTE]

I find it very interesting that when someone in management brings up "the other side of the story", it's a lie. I don't always agree with what's posted here, but I don't think they're lies; no, people are just telling the truth from their perspectiive.

Take a look at what Cino321 posted earlier - "Who cares about the packages. Honestly, when I go home at night, I could care less about what made service and what didn't, or who I disappointed today. I'm not here for extra credit." With this attitude, Cino is probably the driver that 55andout? is talking about- the guy who used to do the job, but now doesn't.

The point is that there's another side of the story. Someone once said "there's your side, his side and the truth" (somewhere in between). There are poor supervisors at UPS, but there are also poor drivers and both cause problems for the good people every day.

What I find interesting is that you chose to quote my attention getting rant of a composite situation and ignored the POINT of my post. The point was and still is, the supervisor should not have discussed the matter with the spouse. PERIOD. The spouse is not a professional, she is (or was, in this case) a loving wife worried about her husband. However 55and out is SUPPOSED to be a professional and should know full well that talking with her about her husbands performance and integrity was out of line and should have never been said.

I do my job, and very well. But I don't let anyone take advantage of me. I'm not a farm animal. My number one goal is to remain accident and injury free, I do have a life after the job, and I certainly want to experience it one piece. I don't go to work with the intention of scum bagging anyone.
Cino, just an FYI. It was not me that insinuated that you might be the driver than 55and out was talking about. Your post made it look like it was me.

backinbrown

respect my authority
If my sup talked to my wife id be pissed off, i feel he went to far, i leave my job there when i leave i don't need management bringing it home for me, i would probably have let my supervisor know this.

55andout?

If my sup talked to my wife id be pissed off, i feel he went to far, i leave my job there when i leave i don't need management bringing it home for me, i would probably have let my supervisor know this.
Maybe I should have put more detail into it, for that I am sorry...But I didnt call her. She called me, on my phone, on my time. I was patient and she was as obtuse as her husband. She wanted answers so I let her know the truth. You will be happy to know that the morale in that loop is much higher now that he is gone. Now everybody does there own work. Again, my phone, my time....

I totally agree with you, but it would not stop there. When I got home I would so gently inform my wife that even though I love her for being concerned about how hard I work, to please never call my bosses again.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Let me summarize a preloaders job:

1. Read the PAL label.

2. Locate shelf/floor location.

3. Load package.

4. Repeat 800-1200 times during shift.

Sounds like rocket science to me.

Ouch :knockedout: a bit harsh don't you think?

Just a friendly reminder before all out war ensues..comparing driving to preloading is like comparing apples to oranges. There is just no way to do it other than to say they are both jobs at UPS.

Every pull is different, just as every route is different. To generalize and say driving is harder than preloading or preloading is harder than driving is unrealistic. It's give and take...The harder I work (reworking PAS,damage control,etc..)..the easier my drivers have it. The less thought a preloader puts into the job..the harder a driver is going to work. Period.

BigBrownSanta

I've always looked at preload as doing 4 to 5 times the work of a driver in about 1/3 the time of a driver for about 1/3 the pay.

Preloaders make or break your day.

Upstate wouldn't say that if his preloader obliged him every friday by loading everything exactly as it comes down the slide, starting at section 1 and working to section 8 and on monday said, "Sorry dude, I ain't no rocket scientist".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just a friendly reminder before all out war ensues..comparing driving to preloading is like comparing apples to oranges. There is just no way to do it other than to say they are both jobs at UPS.
Exactly. Yes, my response was harsh and I do apologize for that but I had to respond to the person who thought preloading was harder than driving. Perhaps my response was a bit over the top...

The preloader can make or break the driver's day--period.

BTW, I did leave one step off of the loaders job summary.

Compare PAL label to address on pkg.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Exactly. Yes, my response was harsh and I do apologize for that but I had to respond to the person who thought preloading was harder than driving. Perhaps my response was a bit over the top...

The preloader can make or break the driver's day--period.

BTW, I did leave one step off of the loaders job summary.

Compare PAL label to address on pkg.

No worries Upstate..I know where you were going with your response. :happy2:

rocket man

To anything. we all package drivers dont deserve it what you wrote about.But in each center across the country. we have some people who run like the wind. and some who cant . There are some who do 150 are all ressys. then you have a route with 80 stops but they have 60 businessestops25 ressys and say 25 30 pick ups. The company looks at the 150 ressy route and its good enough for that route good enough for all routes its a ton of fake numbers. we have many who complain. so hes not alone..ITS The only company I Know 730 pm is a good day.

tieguy

Banned
These things should be taken up with the driver, not his/her spouse, even if they do call you. A real man would have respectfully told the wife that he would not discuss these matters with her because that is between the driver and the company.

A real man wouldn't let his wife call the center? This real man blamed his supervisor and then let the wife call the supervisor to browbeat him. What she got was an honest answer of what the supervisor felt the problem was. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer

A real man wouldn't let his wife call the center? This real man blamed his supervisor and then let the wife call the supervisor to browbeat him. What she got was an honest answer of what the supervisor felt the problem was. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer
Not married are ya Tie? LOL
I've already posted that I would ask my wife not to call anymore. Believe it or not, there are times when your spouse may do something you don't approve of but it's after the fact and it's done, can't "let" or "not let" them.
The overwhelming fact is the supervisor saw a chance to unload on someone and took it, not very professional.