apartments. heavy stuff.

HardknocksUPSer

How did that even make it on to a pkg car ?

Forklift ?
Preloader jerked up on it.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1457210243.627700.jpg

Brown_Star

Methods Man
My center just lost a 33 year employee to a heavy parcel. Had a Next Day Air whose label showed 148 lbs. He backs up to the dock and asks the receiving person for assistance. While lifting this parcel up to the dock platform he blows out his back. Actual weight of the crate was 235 lbs. How could this shipment even make it this far through our system?
He is now scheduled for a four level back fusion and has to retire.
That's a three man job....sorry to hear about our brother!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Wrong.

Wrong on both counts.

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE

PACKAGE HANDLING

The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the handling, pick-up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves to safety hazards.

Section 1. On Area Package Handling

No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee’s good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases, the Employer shall provide whichever of the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages:

1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or

3. Another bargaining unit employee and an appropriate lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

Man up.... and do the right thing.

-Bug-
This translates to: if they (customer) can't help you, do what they said. I've been around a long time and I can't think of one time the sups sent someone out to help lift a heavy.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes because in your training it tells you not to dr apts.
Ive had the 150, thats kg, not pds, usually international, and takes more than 2 to lift, and no getting on dock, goes on ground.
And recent diad training says to dr in secure apt buildings, i dont. Unless its a letter i can slide under door. Im not paying for anyones stuff.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It says in the contract, we get teamster help. Bug posted it. I have got help 3xs. In the last few months. I will do what im comfortable with, but some of its just crazy

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
How is leaving something at an apartment front door any more risky than a house front door?
Apartments generally have more than one entrance to separate units. A house is one owner. There would be more opportunity for theft at a multi unit dwelling as several people will pass the package by on an average day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ive had the 150, thats kg, not pds, usually international, and takes more than 2 to lift, and no getting on dock, goes on ground.
And recent diad training says to dr in secure apt buildings, i dont. Unless its a letter i can slide under door. Im not paying for anyones stuff.
By secure they mean an apartment complex that has a security code or we have a key to.

You can't be made to pay for anything at a secure complex. It's no different than shipper release.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This translates to: if they (customer) can't help you, do what they said. I've been around a long time and I can't think of one time the sups sent someone out to help lift a heavy.
We don't push the issue enough.

It's one of those things we should lock down on as soon as management starts to play their games

AllOnTheHorses

It just seems that more and more apt dwellers are ordering bigger and heavier stuff. When it comes to 4 or 5 forty pound boxes going to an apt up three flights.. or even one 70 lb.. that is when I start thinking, "Man, this sucks."
But so does scanning in the truck, walking up all those stairs just to see if they are home and then leave a sticker, then tote all the crap to the office... or walk back to truck, get their stuff and slowly get it all up to the top floor. ugh.
Call me lazy.. but after enough of that crap, I am almost ready to "lock and walk".
"Over 70" to a house.. no problem.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We have a lot of apartment complexes near industrial areas. Filled with out of town workers who have moved to the area for a job. The companies pay the rent. I've moved dozens of people into their their third floor apartments, one box at a time.

542thruNthru

Had the same thing. Pkg said 150kg some idiot didn't realize that 150kg is around 330lb. It was for a 4th flr apt. Told my OR. He said and I quote. "Just roll it up the stairs." I can't repeat what I said back. ;)

Funny thing is the next day the same person got 53 pkgs that were 45kg (about 100lb). Preload threw them all down the middle. Told my OR I'll need help. He said "sorry don't have any." When he called me and asked me why I hadn't moved in 2 hrs..... I can't repeat what I said back. ;)