apartments. heavy stuff.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
My center just lost a 33 year employee to a heavy parcel. Had a Next Day Air whose label showed 148 lbs. He backs up to the dock and asks the receiving person for assistance. While lifting this parcel up to the dock platform he blows out his back. Actual weight of the crate was 235 lbs. How could this shipment even make it this far through our system?
He is now scheduled for a four level back fusion and has to retire.

That is a law suit against UPS. Easy win. All the way thru the system. No red flags?

moldsporh

Two things about heavy packages and apartments.

First is alot of customers that use their scale, often set the scale in kilograms but the world ship only sees the value and prints the label in lbs. I've pointed this out on numerous occasions.

Second, is secured apartments. Secured apartments are not a gated apartment with a sidewalk that anyone can enter. A secured apartment is a locked door from the outside.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Second, is secured apartments. Secured apartments are not a gated apartment with a sidewalk that anyone can enter. A secured apartment is a locked door from the outside.
You sure about that though?
Seems to me the latest training module on DR was purposefully vague on this issue. Seemed to give the driver a lot more discretion with a lot less blame.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
getting a signature is not a damn option unless you wanna work three days straight
Isn't that what everyone wants? If following proper methods leads to more work, that means more drivers, more Teamsters jobs. They cant get on you for following methods. If you don't feel the package is safe. Don't deliver it without a signature.
It comes out that door its staying
Don't pull it out unless there is someone there.
Work smart, not hard.

moldsporh

You sure about that though?
Seems to me the latest training module on DR was purposefully vague on this issue. Seemed to give the driver a lot more discretion with a lot less blame.

I guess it depends on center/district...and what LP has on the agenda. Mainly with us, if it's a retirement home, or locked entry for each apartment building, then it's a secure location.

If there's a fence around the apartments but you can walk in the main entrance and meander throughout each dwelling....then it's not secured.