APWA Lost KC

sawdusttv

I was notified this morning that the APWA lost big in KC. I do not know the final count but from what I was told it was not close.:thumbdown

W

westsideworma

I was notified this morning that the APWA lost big in KC. I do not know the final count but from what I was told it was not close.:thumbdown

in all fairness I'm not surprised. They're unproven, with no track record whatsoever. Its hard to place your trust in a union that has done nothing in the grand scheme of things. I mean you could argue the Teamsters haven't done anything for us lately, but they have a history and have in the past. I mean don't get me wrong, I like what they (APWA) are proposing benefits and such, but thats all they are right now, proposals.

nospinzone

This arguement holds a little bit of water, west side. And I say a little bit for this reason. Lots of people agree with what the APWA is pushing. But if everyone wants to see a track record, as you said, but no one is willing to afford the APWA the opportunity to build a track record, than you are correct.....these well intended and well-founded proposals will amount to nothing more. People simply want someone else in another barn to stick their neck out and do the hard work.

Here's an example...although to a very extreme, the same principle holds. What if the young men who were on those Higgins Boats that landed on Omaha beach in World War II took your position. "Screw this. Let someone else do the hard work. I'll follow up behind ya once the sacrifice has already been made by others and my risks are minimized." All the "proposals" that the Allied forces had made to reclaim France would have never been converted into results. This is the dilemma that the APWA faces and the question that people like you and I must answer within our hearts. Well more in excess of 30% of the people in Kansas City signed cards for the APWA. This is the case in other facilities across the country. But will people have the fortitude in what they believe to withstand the barrage of attacks by the company and the Teamsters, and to be willing to take the lead in this labor movement. Currently Van and Danny only have the power to make proposals. Its the only the support and commitment of our co-workers that can give them the opportunity and MEANS to show results.

Like you, Westside, I still believe that APWA is the best thing for the Brown and Blue. Question is will others be willing to put their beliefs into action or complacent to wait for someone else to do the hard work.

brett636

This arguement holds a little bit of water, west side. And I say a little bit for this reason. Lots of people agree with what the APWA is pushing. But if everyone wants to see a track record, as you said, but no one is willing to afford the APWA the opportunity to build a track record, than you are correct.....these well intended and well-founded proposals will amount to nothing more. People simply want someone else in another barn to stick their neck out and do the hard work.

Here's an example...although to a very extreme, the same principle holds. What if the young men who were on those Higgins Boats that landed on Omaha beach in World War II took your position. "Screw this. Let someone else do the hard work. I'll follow up behind ya once the sacrifice has already been made by others and my risks are minimized." All the "proposals" that the Allied forces had made to reclaim France would have never been converted into results. This is the dilemma that the APWA faces and the question that people like you and I must answer within our hearts. Well more in excess of 30% of the people in Kansas City signed cards for the APWA. This is the case in other facilities across the country. But will people have the fortitude in what they believe to withstand the barrage of attacks by the company and the Teamsters, and to be willing to take the lead in this labor movement. Currently Van and Danny only have the power to make proposals. Its the only the support and commitment of our co-workers that can give them the opportunity and MEANS to show results.

Like you, Westside, I still believe that APWA is the best thing for the Brown and Blue. Question is will others be willing to put their beliefs into action or complacent to wait for someone else to do the hard work.

Your example given is a bit extreme for the situation. You are comparing a major battle in a world war to that of some unionized employees picking between two unions.

A good example would be someone coming to your door to sell you a vacuum cleaner. You already have a vacuum that works for you, but this salesman wants you to buy his because he says its better. Only problem is they haven't gone into production yet so he can't prove to you that it will work as well as he claims it will. how can you buy into something thats not proven?

nospinzone

You make a good point if you ignore the fact that the old vacuum cleaner requires that you deposit a 50cents for every minute of use.... but oddly enough when you've only been using it for 30 seconds it shuts off and starts asking for another 75cents!! Not to mention the fact that the damn thing couldn't suck up a hairball.:lol:

brett636

You make a good point if you ignore the fact that the old vacuum cleaner requires that you deposit a 50cents for every minute of use.... but oddly enough when you've only been using it for 30 seconds it shuts off and starts asking for another 75cents!! Not to mention the fact that the damn thing couldn't suck up a hairball.:lol:

I would still stick with the vacuum that I have then give money to a salesman who cannot produce a vacuum for me to test.