APWA ???

mittam

mittam said:
a fool is one who looks straight at someone who says we are going to screw you and they do and then you cry because it happened, yes they are legal now if you do not believe so e-mail them and find out
oh by the way I do agree give a 10% match on 401k but have it through independent broker that is chosen by union/company /worker agreement not held and ran by company and especially not the teamsters

Uncle BS

I don't get the hold-up on the $150. How much money are we "throwing away" each week/month to the IBT and our locals? Even if you feel you cannot do that all at once, you can make payments as low as $12.50 a month. Now tell me you cannot afford that? As said earlier, they are an official, non-for-profit, union now. If it is not on their web-site, I agree, e-mail them. Ask questions. What's the worst that can happen... you might like what you hear.:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:

brett636

mittam said:
a fool is one who looks straight at someone who says we are going to screw you and they do and then you cry because it happened, yes they are legal now if you do not believe so e-mail them and find out

Um, no, they are not legal to represent anyone. To represent a group of employees as a union you have to be registered with the NLRB, and guess what....the APWA isn't! They can't represent me or anyone that works for UPS or any other corporation in this country for that very reason.

Uncle BS- You see, thats the problem. Just like a used car salesmen will only tell you the good things about a car you really need to check under the hood yourself and see if there are any problems before you make that major purchase. Same goes for the APWA, I've checked under the hood and found some major problems. I will not buy into their BS or yours.

nospinzone

brett636 said:
Um, no, they are not legal to represent anyone. To represent a group of employees as a union you have to be registered with the NLRB, and guess what....the APWA isn't! They can't represent me or anyone that works for UPS or any other corporation in this country for that very reason.
Brett,,,do you know what the legal process is for decertifying and replacing a collective bargaining agent? If APWA has somehow strayed from this process and is operating illegally, we'd love to hear about it.

Bottom line is that there is a way to go about this and they are doing it by the book. If any other union or trade was attempting this, that group would be doing the exact same thing that APWA is doing. First they incorporate and establish a charter which defines how the association operates(officer elections, removal of officers, officer performance expectations....). Second, they register with the IRS as a non-profit to avoid being taxed by Uncle Sam. Third they build up their support via internet, local meetings, and print. Finally, they hold a card campaign in order to petition the NLRB to hold a secret ballot election. So the NLRB doesnt get involved until the last step. This is how ANYONE AND EVERYONE would go about this process. Youre using the old, overused, weak talking points that your business rep or local president gave you......get new material please.
nospinzone:cool:

brett636

nospinzone said:
Brett,,,do you know what the legal process is for decertifying and replacing a collective bargaining agent? If APWA has somehow strayed from this process and is operating illegally, we'd love to hear about it.

Bottom line is that there is a way to go about this and they are doing it by the book. If any other union or trade was attempting this, that group would be doing the exact same thing that APWA is doing. First they incorporate and establish a charter which defines how the association operates(officer elections, removal of officers, officer performance expectations....). Second, they register with the IRS as a non-profit to avoid being taxed by Uncle Sam. Third they build up their support via internet, local meetings, and print. Finally, they hold a card campaign in order to petition the NLRB to hold a secret ballot election. So the NLRB doesnt get involved until the last step. This is how ANYONE AND EVERYONE would go about this process. Youre using the old, overused, weak talking points that your business rep or local president gave you......get new material please.
nospinzone:cool:

funny, I've never talked to nor met my local business rep or local president. Thats completely my own argument and not my only reason for not signing up with your little non for profit organization. You know, the one that cannot represent me. I wouldn't pay a doctor for services to be performed before he has his medical license, or a contractor before he has his contractor's license. Why would I pay an organization that can't even do what it says it will do before its legally capable of doing so?

brett636

Uncle BS said:
Brett, I think you need to check that engine on the bus you have been riding because the rubber band has broke! It is going no where!

blahblah.gif

uh huh...
blahblah.gif

nospinzone

brett636 said:
funny, I've never talked to nor met my local business rep or local president.
Glad to hear its business as usual for Teamster officials in your local.

brett636 said:
Why would I pay an organization that can't even do what it says it will do before its legally capable of doing so
Good question. I'll answer that with a question. Why do people contribute money to political candidates every two to four years....candidates who want to make improvements in their community even though they arent currently in office? It's because contributors disagree with the incumbant and want to move in a different direction. In our case, APWA supporters find the chump change that IBT is payin out in pensions to be unsatisfactory and want to put a bargaining agent in who has a plan to improve the situation. By decreasing the number of companies represented to one, APWA can improve on the response time of resolving grievances and become a true advocate of its members who regularly visits the worksite to address member issues. But obviousley you are satisfied with how Teamsters are running the show......
:cool:

mittam

Uncle BS said:
I don't get the hold-up on the $150. How much money are we "throwing away" each week/month to the IBT and our locals? Even if you feel you cannot do that all at once, you can make payments as low as $12.50 a month. Now tell me you cannot afford that? As said earlier, they are an official, non-for-profit, union now. If it is not on their web-site, I agree, e-mail them. Ask questions. What's the worst that can happen... you might like what you hear.:w00t: that's a big ol' AMEN

mittam

nospinzone said:
Glad to hear its business as usual for Teamster officials in your local.

Good question. I'll answer that with a question. Why do people contribute money to political candidates every two to four years....candidates who want to make improvements in their community even though they arent currently in office? It's because contributors disagree with the incumbant and want to move in a different direction. In our case, APWA supporters find the chump change that IBT is payin out in pensions to be unsatisfactory and want to put a bargaining agent in who has a plan to improve the situation. By decreasing the number of companies represented to one, APWA can improve on the response time of resolving grievances and become a true advocate of its members who regularly visits the worksite to address member issues. But obviousley you are satisfied with how Teamsters are running the show......
:cool:
Ever been to a state or regional hearing? UPS has a 6 member panel,so do the teamsters. All 6 for UPS are from UPS of course, how many with the union are form UPS? The one time I was there just one,that's right just one who knew my job. Just one who knew my job! Not the others from other trucking companies or wherever just one . THAT'S RIGHT JUST ONE.With the APWA being soley UPS we will have the same as the company ,I like those odds a lot better.We will have the same knowing our jobs. Better yet we want more of these hearings to be settled locally.We don't want to waste time and money form affected employee, or representative traveling all over. OH, is that common sense that seems too simple? That is also a big think what makes sense.

YAKMASTA

GUYS IM ACTUALLY VERY HAPPY WITH MY UNION REPRESENTATION AND I FEEL THIS APWA HAS GOTTEN MORE ATTENTION THAN IT DESERVES THIS THREAD WAS STARTED ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND I STILL HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ORGINIATION OTHER THAN ON HERE IM IN NYC AND VERY VERY HAPPY WITH LOCAL 804 !!!!!:thumbup1:

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm sold on the whole idea of kicking the Teamsters to the curb. It seems there are two groups of people who are against it. You've got your skeptics (understandibly). And you've got your scum of the workforce that relys on Teamster protection so they can half-ass it at work every day. That of course is WHEN they actually do come to work. The bulk of the UPS workforce is probably ready for a change. The whole process just seems to be moving a bit slow and I think that is turning people away. I've never been a fan of the Teamsters or a multi-employer pension plan but was content. I've recently changed my mind. Probably like many others. I don't like watching other companys retire off our money after 20-25 years while we can't retire until after 40! I know there is more to it than that and that it is not completely the union's fault but most of the blame falls on them and the rest on UPS itself. We cant kick management to the curb but the IBT should be concerned.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
There`s a few that are happy with the teamsters and there are alot that are not ! New Yorkers,chicagoians and the western states have a stable pension. Central States does not ! Just like representation there a few that get it and alot don`t !:cool:

ups79

no you also have your already retired, enjoying the benefits of not quite getting that big raise every year, but putting some of that money into a pension plan, that to this day has worked.(I can only hope it continues to work).

Uncle BS

79...I am glad you're happy, but their are a slew of people there that aren't. It might not be because of their pension, which the APWA is not only about, but REPRESENTATION. Everyone thinks their pension is secure, look at CS, they were 93% funded. Who's next?

nospinzone

YAKMASTA said:
GUYS IM ACTUALLY VERY HAPPY WITH MY UNION REPRESENTATION AND I FEEL THIS APWA HAS GOTTEN MORE ATTENTION THAN IT DESERVES THIS THREAD WAS STARTED ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND I STILL HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ORGINIATION OTHER THAN ON HERE IM IN NYC AND VERY VERY HAPPY WITH LOCAL 804 !!!!!:thumbup1:

Masta, sir....I can respect your position. From all that I've heard about the NYC locals, you enjoy good service and a healthy retirement plan. You'd be crazy to want change. Thats precisely the reason why you've heard nothing in NYC. The APWA could make minimal improvements on what youre getting, but even so, you've got a pretty good thing going. So their efforts would probably land on deaf ears, thus they havent spent the time or money to aggressively campaign in your area.

But the question has to be asked,,whats you and your fellow New Yorker's opinion of the current debacle that THOUSANDS of your co-workers are in: poor representation and a very very poor return on their retirement contributions? At some point this discussion is going to leave the webboard and enter every center with some significant media coverage when the card signing campaign begins, and i believe the vote will be a close one possibly leaving you with a new union. How do you suggest we handle the problem? This may be the last good opportunity to make a change for EIGHT YEARS. If our co-workers in financially secure areas like yours choose to vote against us, that leaves us with slim chances of improving our situation. What say you?:cool: