APWA ???

mittam

Fredless said:
I'm very happy with Local 79 in Florida.
There are a lot of people happy with the local they work for. Some areas UPS people are most of the elected union officers, other places there may be one or even none in office for that particular local.Personnally I would attack my local with great ferver they are horrible.Else where I undestand your views......however can the local spare you from the joint council, or the ibt itself if they start wanting to cut back on what you have?Just how far can the local go? I know most of those guys may be your friends, but how far can the local go?

mittam

aviationwiz said:
This would *NOT* be a good idea, even remotely. It's always best to stand strong, and to stand with a union with expirience.

Just look at one of the more recent rogue unions that stole their membership from another one. The NWA mechanics for AMFA. They got busted open like a paper bag because no one wanted to support them as they were a rogue union. The ones that decided to stick with AMFA on the strike? They are now unemployed.

I don't see any of APWA's stances on anything but the pension plan, with contract talks coming up soon, they should be able to talk about a lot more than the pension plan.

These may be nice guys, but don't play games with your job.
The only strength with the teamsters is the amount of money we and UPS gives to them every month for their own agenda, do you really think they care for us outside the cash flow?

Fredless

APWA Hater
Hmmm...Teamsters or...my ass out on the street and have some scab in the seat making 10/hr? I'm sure Eskew and the board is having a good ol time with this. The main arguement I see you guys making is about the Pension fund. Yes it sucks, yes its wrong. Yes it sucks ass to have to think to do this job till you're 62..one of the main reasons I DQ'd myself from cover driving to stay at USF, and try and wait out a 22.3 job, if not..I'll use my degree...besides that, you guys REALLY should have planned for retirement better.

My father worked for Eastern airlines for 34 years, and still has to work 40 hours a week at his age to make ends meet. ANYONE that's my age (21) and been at UPS for a short amount of time, I've been in since I was 18, and thinks that the APWA will have a pension for the young guns like us are FOOLS. UPS paying a pension for us in 30 years? Bwhahaha. I doubt, look at what happened to most of the airline industry, the UAW...steel workers,etc. With dumbasses like Bush running this country, the blue collar worker will continue to get **** on. TAKE care of YOURSELF, and don't rely on anyone else to do so.

Last edited:

Uncle BS

Fredless, UPS doens't have a choice about paying our pension. Their only way out is through the contract or if CS goes belly up, which that is where they are headed. As far as you leaving uncle buster, that was a choice that you had to make and live with. Nobody told you that you had to go. Unless you have been to an APWA meeting, how can you comment on what they have to offer? You know nothing about them. Their web-site has information on there, but their meetings go into greater details. Good Luck at USF.

nospinzone

Fredless said:
Yes it sucks, yes its wrong.
If you were gettin robbed every night, would you continue to sleep with the doors unlocked or continue living in the same neighborhood? It is wrong, but to sit idly by and do nothing is just as wrong. Your passive approach to this problem is why we find ourselves in this situation.
Fredless said:
you guys REALLY should have planned for retirement better.
Hindsight is 20/20 and its pretty easy to sit in your chair at the young, ripe age of 21 and make those comments. Relying on social security would have been poor retirement planning. So how do you explain the people in the Western conference who made that same retirement plans as those in Central States? They made that same choice as we did, but fortunately for their sake, their money wasnt mismanaged and isnt being used to subsidize other companies pension funds as severly as CS.
Fredless said:
...that the APWA will have a pension for the young guns like us are FOOLS.UPS paying a pension for us in 30 years? Bwhahaha.
UPS is making plenty of money. It will be in their best interest to continue making contributions to their employees retirement to insure good retainment and a high quality of performance from their workers. Unless UPS takes a financial nosedive, they will continue to contribute to their employees retirement for the foreseeable future. But in the instance that UPS does go under financially, the funds in the APWA pension plan would not be affected because this is not a company managed pension. Once those monies leave UPS's bank account and enter the APWA pension, UPS has no control of them and would not be able to use that money to save their hide, and bankruptcy court could not seize them either. Your perception that we would be risking the same outcome as the airlines or steel workers is just flawed. Enjoy your new life at USF. Hope that works out for ya.

wkmac

Hey 79.
I just figured one of these latest incarnations of APWA rah-rahers was the saw and feeder. It's funny how they'll come in droves and then die off only to come back when the topic heats up again but it's usually under a different alias.

I've made no bones that I like the UPS only union thinking and looking at other (all) options out there for us. I'd even discuss no union at all but that doesn't mean I'd vote for it under the current situation.

But damn, at least have the guts to come here and stay and defend your position in all kinds of weather. I'm not buying the illusion that the multiple alias' indicate a growing movement although in some areas I do believe this could be the case.

Bill

ok2bclever said:
Outside of this forum most of UPS haven't heard a word about APWA.

I haven't heard the slightest rumor of this outside of here.

I am in Michigan.
The APWA is starting to pick up steam and will be advertised throughout the country soon. You can visit their website.

Bill

nospinzone said:
If you were gettin robbed every night, would you continue to sleep with the doors unlocked or continue living in the same neighborhood? It is wrong, but to sit idly by and do nothing is just as wrong. Your passive approach to this problem is why we find ourselves in this situation.
Hindsight is 20/20 and its pretty easy to sit in your chair at the young, ripe age of 21 and make those comments. Relying on social security would have been poor retirement planning. So how do you explain the people in the Western conference who made that same retirement plans as those in Central States? They made that same choice as we did, but fortunately for their sake, their money wasnt mismanaged and isnt being used to subsidize other companies pension funds as severly as CS.
UPS is making plenty of money. It will be in their best interest to continue making contributions to their employees retirement to insure good retainment and a high quality of performance from their workers. Unless UPS takes a financial nosedive, they will continue to contribute to their employees retirement for the foreseeable future. But in the instance that UPS does go under financially, the funds in the APWA pension plan would not be affected because this is not a company managed pension. Once those monies leave UPS's bank account and enter the APWA pension, UPS has no control of them and would not be able to use that money to save their hide, and bankruptcy court could not seize them either. Your perception that we would be risking the same outcome as the airlines or steel workers is just flawed. Enjoy your new life at USF. Hope that works out for ya.
Here are a few things you forgot to mention. The APWA can boast about giving you $300,000 upon retirement and a $7,000 monthly pension. Do the math. If UPS contributes $196 per week per employee into your pension fund, each UPS employee would have over $1,200,000 after 30 years invested at 8%. Even if the rate of return averaged 6% over 30 years, you would still have $815,000. Right now you are receiving only a fraction of that. Under the APWA, this is your money. Shouldn't you get it when you retire. Do you want a secure retirement or do you want to stick with the Teamsters and collect less than half of what is rightfully yours. It's time for a change. Vote for the APWA and secure your future.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Read what I said, I didn't LEAVE UPS, I merely got out of COVER DRIVING. I am still an Air Driver. I have always been at USF since high school, I merely chose NOT TO DROP OUT for cover driving.

Uncle BS

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I also see where you went back and edited your earlier post. My statement still stands, until you go to an APWA meeting, how can you comment on what the offer? Go to one...you just might like what you here.

ups79

wkmac:do you think "SAWman", who onces posted here could be "SKILLman" as in Van?
30 and out:why waste your time with your post, it appears the dumbest post that I have seen on this board.

wdworker51

The APWA sounds great for someone just starting but I've got over 25 yrs and there aint now way I'll stick aroung another 15 yrs to get the benifits that APWA says that they can provide. Put in 40 yrs for this company. I don't think so!!!

Uncle BS

wdworker51 said:
The APWA sounds great for someone just starting but I've got over 25 yrs and there aint now way I'll stick aroung another 15 yrs to get the benifits that APWA says that they can provide. Put in 40 yrs for this company. I don't think so!!!
You would still receive what you have vested in whatever fund you are in. You would simply draw two checks every month if you stay for at least 5 years. Plus, you won't get smacked with a hudge insurance co-pay after you retire. $300/mn per couple.

Uncle BS

Bill said:
Here are a few things you forgot to mention.
HTML:
The APWA can boast about giving you $300,000 upon retirement and a $7,000 monthly pension.
Do the math. If UPS contributes $196 per week per employee into your pension fund, each UPS employee would have over $1,200,000 after 30 years invested at 8%. Even if the rate of return averaged 6% over 30 years, you would still have $815,000. Right now you are receiving only a fraction of that. Under the APWA, this is your money. Shouldn't you get it when you retire. Do you want a secure retirement or do you want to stick with the Teamsters and collect less than half of what is rightfully yours. It's time for a change. Vote for the APWA and secure your future.

That is not true. You will have the choice of receiving $7,000.00 per month for 30 years of service or receiving a lump sum payment of $300,000.00 and $3,000.00 a month for 30 years of service.

30andout

ups79 said:
wkmac:do you think "SAWman", who onces posted here could be "SKILLman" as in Van?
30 and out:why waste your time with your post, it appears the dumbest post that I have seen on this board.
Ok you win, what was your post on parcelworkers?:lol:

No way Apwa

Apwa give me a break,any little sign of a trouble and everybody's got all the answers. Teamster Union is not perfect(what is?) but they have been taking good care of me for many years.Think not ;just compare your W2 with the fed ex man.Some pension plans are hurting because some companies have gone under and we collectively pick up the slack.This is us as a whole behaving like a union and not me,myself and I and screw everybody else.Together we stand but divided we fall.I stand with Hoffa and the teamsters not with a hope and a prayer with apwa.Way too much at risk for me .:) :thumbup:

mittam

Re: No way Apwa

1980 said:
Apwa give me a break,any little sign of a trouble and everybody's got all the answers. Teamster Union is not perfect(what is?) but they have been taking good care of me for many years.Think not ;just compare your W2 with the fed ex man.Some pension plans are hurting because some companies have gone under and we collectively pick up the slack.This is us as a whole behaving like a union and not me,myself and I and screw everybody else.Together we stand but divided we fall.I stand with Hoffa and the teamsters not with a hope and a prayer with apwa.Way too much at risk for me .:) :thumbup:
if they didn't run the pension as social security is done it would not be in this shape,compare wages with fedex compare jobs they don't do half what we do,I myself don't think I am being taken care of when teamsters take away negotiated beifits, if the company did this to us teamsters would have taken us out on strike