Archives

R

rushfan

I have the answer. Too many people listen to the ANALists who know as much as your pet snake, cat, dog, chicken, iguana, or any other garden variety domestic animal.

M

mojobuc

I can understand the 'crap' tv. Myself,I enjoy some of the same shows as you, also the Discovery Channel 'monster' series shows are good, and Extreme predators is good.
Hockey and football are high on my must see tv list as well, though 2 jobs, a family, and school make it a very small list.

M

mojobuc

Does anyone know if you lose your 'option time' earned once/if you go from union to being a UPS employee?

O

ok2bclever

Hot off the fax:

To: All Michigan UPS Locals.

Central Conference Director David Robinson has been notified by James Maloney, Vice President of UPS Labor Relations (and UPS chairman of the current 2002-2008 national contract), that the company will be changing the Retiree Health & Welfare co-pays to match Central States Retiree co-pays, effective March 1, 2004.

Seeing as this is coming from the VP and Chairman of the current national contract I would expect similiar announcements are being sent to all other states belonging to the Central States Southeast and Southwest Areas Health and Welfare and Pension Funds .

I would say UPS considers us Teamsters after all, rather than "partners".

Once again the Teamster leaders mindset was a bit short sighted on contractual wording.

As they were aware of the shakey financial condition of the Central States pension fund (and others) during negotiations and did not make appropriate protective language changes in the 2002 contract to at least protect our existing retirement medical benefits which UPS handles and can clearly support I would say they need to get professional help for negotiating future contractual language.

W

wade

I would say UPS considers us Teamsters after all, rather than "partners".

The terminology must have changed over the years. The only times I heard the word partner had to do with management. That goes back several decades though.

But youve got to admit, Teamsters have traditionally conducted business in what they determined was their own best interest certainly not the behavior of a partner. Not that it matters now too much water under the bridge IMO.

T

toonertoo

I like the commercial where the UPS safety sup was writing him up for his safety record, and jarrett said "but they werent my fault" Well we all know all accidents are avoidable, it seemed really real!!

T

toonertoo

One of our guys decided to go with UPS coverage vs the teamster coverage, and chose all his vacations to be done by May, and then got the news about it from the center mgr the day before he was to take his fist vaca, now he knows he has to work another 5 1/2 yrs. Not a happy guy. 510 a month for coverage, and the $50 a yr increase they say NOW, could be 200 per yr, or whatever they decide to change it to, and the way it is going they could change it any way they want, and it seems as tho we have no say, no vote, just the way it is!! Very sad.

T

toonertoo

Mojo, I think you lose your option week, but you gain the 2 weeks pay at Christmas time, called a yearly bonus for all the extra hours you work at that time.

(Message edited by toonertoo on February 17, 2004)

W

wkmac

upsdude,
Got the word this evening. Current car count for The Rock is at 45. The link below shows 44 but now hearing Morgan Shepard is coming to race also. Hate not seeing Dave Blaney up there. If he can't get a Cup ride I hope he throws away the fenders, puts on the wing and go Outlaw racing again. Besides Dirt's for racing and asphalt is for getting there!

E

ezrider

Rushfan that is largely true.Trusting any analyst's reccomendation on a company that has an investment banking relationship with that same analyst's firm is really asking for trouble.Meeker,Grubman,and Henry Blodget made a career out of bogus picks at the expense of all-too-trusting investors.Ironic how when the bubble burst,they and the firms they worked at were the only ones with any profits to speak of.

Moreluck I wouldn't worry about one day's worth of activity too much.I remember many years ago Chrysler announced a record quarter and the stock DROPPED almost 20% after the news.Where's the rationalization behind that one?I doubt Eskew and the board pay that much attention FDX price swings.They look at long term trends like buying a pack and ship chain at a bankruptcy fire sale,turning it into a solid growth engine and then watching FDX have to overpay for KINKOS to remain in a competitive position.

Fred S has always talked a good game with the Wall Street crowd,resulting in the PERCEPTION among analysts that he and his company are the leaders in the sector.Has his company surpassed these same analysts earnings estimates each quarter for over a year as UPS has?I'll bet money FDX hasn't made the cut.In the end the facts are in the numbers and the board in Atlanta will let the numbers do the talking.

T

toonertoo

Blaney is the hometown boy, but I like the outlaws, sure would like to see Schrader have a decent run havent had a real favorite since Harry Gant. Schrader hasnt had a win since 91, should I give him up? Hes so great tho, he has such a great sense of humor......guess he needs it, BAM seems to be a bad car sponsor,, or car owner,.....whatever it isnt working.

O

opie

I enrolled yesterday, it only took a minute. I choose the PCP (CIGNA). Eeriana, why are you paying 20%? You have to stay in the network and everything for the most part is cover 100%, if you are going out of the network, you are only covered between 80%-90%. In an HMO you get no coverage out of network, which contributed to my decision in choosing CIGNA. Because what happens if I am admitted to a hospital not under Aetna's network for something that I think is an emergency? Aetna the HMO may say that they felt that it wasn't an emergency, and I would wind up paying thousands of dollars in medical costs.

G

gman

This is the beginning of the end of the middle class. Fifteen years from now, unions will only be found in history books. George Bush and his band of wealthy men have taken control of this country and of its economy. Freedom for illegal aliens to come in and take what jobs are left while outsourcing more and more manufacturing jobs to other countries. Now even Mexican labor is too expensive so they move the plants to China. Free trade, unless it's to buy prescription drugs at a fraction of the price frome Canada. Cut corporate taxes and those on the walthy, which means higher taxes in the long run for the rest of us. Raging spending and deficites that has caused even the most conservative republican politicians to take a second look at their leader of choice. And guess who is buying up all that debt from American banks. Big Red! China!!! And when they decide to collect the debt owed by the US, things are going to get ugly.
A "sacrifice everything for the present" attitude. Our childrens futures are on the line today. $$$$ has taken control of America and those in control are trying to take control of the world.

And the answer I keep hearing is "this is what the stock holders want". Confidentially, I'm getting a little worried.

E

eeriana

Opie,

I chose the BCBS option... I pay no copay and alot is covered at 100% but tests, xrays stuff like that I pay 20%. I didn't choose the Cigna option it is a little different.

W

wade

Confidentially, I'm getting a little worried.

Id agree that you should be.

You dont want to compete with Mexicans or Chinese. Im not saying you dont want to because you dont have the time or inclination Im saying you dont want to because you cant and youll fail miserably at it.

Nothing personal directed at you, but its something Ive noticed about Americans in general myself included.

I remember seeing an old guy some years back and reading an article in the paper about him later. He was about 70 and worked at a fish packing place in Depot Bay. He worked the line where they shelled those little popcorn shrimp.

Talk about a crappy job. The place had a big picture window where you could watch the people inside working. They had a conveyor belt that fed a steady stream of crushed ice and shrimp down the shelling line. His job was to stand there 10 hours a day and shell the little shrimp and toss them onto another belt.

The guy was Vietnamese and had worked there for over 25 years. The article in the paper had to do with his years of service working with that company and the fact that they thought he had died one day when he didnt show up for work. It turns out that he had worked 6 days a week for over 23 years without ever missing a day. They got concerned when he finally missed one.

The author of the article interviewed him and found out that, lo and behold, he enjoys his job. He LIKES it. It gives him something to do. He enjoys his co-workers. I think he only made around $11/hr, but his earnings allow him to live in a comfortable home with his wife, children, and grandchildren.

Think about that. Heres a 70 year old guy that stands and shells tiny ice-cold shrimp for 10 hours at a pop and enjoys his job. He thinks hes lucky according to the article. He considers himself to be rich compared to his life growing up in Vietnam.

You dont want to compete with that. I dont either. And furthermore, to show my ignorance, I thought the popcorn shrimp shelling was probably done mechanically somehow.

Hes probably dead now. This was 15 years ago or so. Still, theres a million more just like him. (Heck, theres a billion+ more just like him in China and another billion+ in India.)

Its sort of refreshing in a way though. Especially when you look around and see the chubby Nintendo-warrior kids in the neighborhood that couldnt read a sentence from a book without getting winded. Meanwhile, grandpa keeps shelling frozen shrimp, hour after hour, year after year and enjoys it. Ha. Very ironic, IMO.

M

muncher

Has anyone heard about us picking up staples account, I have been getting slammed for about a month now. Paper up the butt!!!!

M

muncher

Just want everyone to know that Momentum Logistics is out of business, funny about two days after I found out I started getting old momentum boxes that looked just like ours, but they had UPS ground barcodes slapped across the old momentum ones, looks like that backroom deal during contact negiations finally came through.

L

local804

I have for been doing Staples for a long :censored2: time. What rock are you hiding under munchy.