Are annual space and visibility rides not necessarily required?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Our space and visibility rides are nothing more than production rides. He talks the safety crap after he gets in and prints the end of day report.
If he doesn't bring up overallowed, that means you ran over bad and he can't think of an excuse. It's rather pathetic.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had some big time management turnover when I was fairly new. I went 3 years without a ride. Since things have settled down, we are back to annual rides.

P

pickup

Are there any official guidelines for this that management uses? It seems like not all guys get them every year, especially high seniority. For the first time, my anniversary date came and went with no ride.

I had a conversation a month and a half ago with a high seniority Feeder driver who had an on road supervisor in his vehicle with him while he was on property . The conversation we had was a few hours after , at lunchtime.

I asked him if that was his annual ride along or was it some other issue that required him to have an on road sup in the vehicle. He told me that the on road sup got on when the driver inbounded at an entry gate and the time spent in any instruction or observation would be from that point until he dropped the trailer and then the on road sup would mosey on back to the gate for another driver.

I think the focus at that time was reducing on property time by trying to reduce the time the driver spent getting rid of his inbound trailer.

This was something new to this high seniority 30 year safety patch wearing driver so afterwards he did some inquiring with some his management friends and told me the results of the inquiry: that the on road sups are going to no longer do annual rides. They will devote the freed up time from that for other activities such as that such as described above as well as hiding in bushes at rest areas(to catch problematic Feeder drivers).

That's what I heard from a good source and so far that is what I have seen, no annual rides for anybody since that conversation. My annual ride is coming up in two months so I'll see what happens.

There is no STANDARD on safety. Meaning no two sups will find the same things that need improvement. SUP A will ask "why didn't you park in the loading zone". While SUP B won't say a thing, because you parked in a safer spot. So SUP A, in reality, will ding you for being safe. What SUP A might not know is that 2 years ago you got backed into while parked in that load zone.
Package cars are another factor. For me, they are the greatest "changing condition". Different sizes, different handling, height, width, turn radius Some have handrails while others have rails by the stairs. And some have both.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I like when customers say stuff like "why you beeping the horn", or "why did you park way down there today"?

ManInBrown

Sups in my center don't even buy lunch anymore. Last time I got a ride as I'm walking into the lunch spot i say "only good thing about getting a ride is free lunch. Thanks. On car goes I'm not buying lunch and chuckled. Said sit at a table by yourself then. I'm not eating with you. We sat at separate tables.

vvv

Our space and visibility rides are nothing more than production rides. He talks the safety crap after he gets in and prints the end of day report.
If he doesn't bring up overallowed, that means you ran over bad and he can't think of an excuse. It's rather pathetic.

Sup was with me on my last space and vis ride from punch to punch and I was near 2.5 hours over. And I was told I'm working very good in all aspects. Strange huh? Such accurate numbers they have.