Are "scratch" drivers looked down upon by other drivers?

billerz

I feel like if you run scratch, and you are working at a pace that is safe, then who cares. If you cover a route that normally does 150 stops for a 9.5 plan and u run it in 9.5, how can the normal driver be mad?

mjjlohn

I've never understood why any hourly would care about what another hourly's numbers are.
Because all you guys do is talk about numbers. The entire system is based on flawed metrics that you guys preach. Hell, you guys take the time to compile it into reports and charts every single day, to report to us.

Eventually some drivers are bound to care about it when they're told it's important everyday of the year.

Get it?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
There are two types of runners in my eyes. There are some guys who just like to work hard and keep busy. They will help you out by running some stops or covering a pickup for you. I worked next to a guy who would chase me down and take 15 stops of me if I would cover his late pickup for him. Not a problem, a win/win for both of us. The other type of runner is out to game the system. He'll stuff loser work off on you. Won't help. Will screw fellow drivers just so they can get in five minutes early. I have no respect for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are two types of runners in my eyes. There are some guys who just like to work hard and keep busy. They will help you out by running some stops or covering a pickup for you. I worked next to a guy who would chase me down and take 15 stops of me if I would cover his late pickup for him. Not a problem, a win/win for both of us. The other type of runner is out to game the system. He'll stuff loser work off on you. Won't help. Will screw fellow drivers just so they can get in five minutes early. I have no respect for them.

I would be Type A.

The Driver

I drive.

I have zero problems helping if I get done early. I just don't like to slouch out there, always work at a good safe pace. I don't have children and like the extra dough.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You say that, not saying its not possible, but most of them do. Ive seen some of them come downstairs after getting the hell scared out of them on conference calls, come down speechless like they were going to freakin cry lol. Funnyasczz stuff, im just like you jackasczzes knew you shouldnt have went into management and were still dumb as hell do it FREAKIN SUCKERZ lol.
Yep. I'm very lucky in that my center manager basically tells them to shove it. Probably the reason they've shipped his ass all over.

mdnj88

I'm also type A. I never mind helping out my pal in my loop if he's banged up. Send me some pickups to cover

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
So true JOEPA lol.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I don't care anymore, but yes, they are looked down upon, in general. Probably different everywhere, but usually the burners are the ones who cry the most.

Faceplanted

As a swing driver I would love covering a slackers route. Why make an easy Monday a hard we'd-fri by burning it up?

I would do only air first, than do everything by the book and enjoy the easy day.

Runners don't understand that when they burn up a route they affect the driver. If ie in Atlanta does a time study on the runner, just him taking his break at the end of the day can have a huge effect on miles from not having to break from resi stops to do pick ups and than driving back to the resi. I had to explain this to the runners covering my route. You do less miles and your numbers actually look worse when burning up a route.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Haha. If you have to ask...
Good talk.
Let me put it this way, I often have no idea if I burned up a route until the next day.

Some routes I'll come in an hour under, others an hour over. Sometimes this happens on the same route just a different day.
I don't like coming in underallowed, I think to myself, I just left money on the table. Could have gone slower and had an easier day, and made more money. But some routes the numbers just don't make sense one way or the other.

The only reason I even look at their numbers is to figure out which routes I need to slow down on, but to be honest it often just makes no sense at all what the numbers come out to, especially when routes have different splits added on every time you run them.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Who cares, just do your job and don't worry about how others do theirs. Personally I always liked having at least one hammer in my loop, made it easier to lose a split.

QualityLoads

The response i get after Covering a route where the bid driver comes in early to sort the day and skips lunch to get home early. "You came in at 7 on Bid drivers route. But the regular driver always brings it in at 4."....

Well i didnt come in an hour early to sort off the clock. the loader thinks bid driver is going to save his butt and load the last hour of preload (preload knows who comes in and helps load their own truck) "oh bid driver comes in early, just stack the boxes outside the truck. Oh :censored2: hes not here throw it in the truck its almost start time". i took my lunch, and i ran the route blind.

margaritaville

I'd like to treat work like a video game. So it sucks less. Doing perfect days, getting 100% on orion, etc can be fun. Even safety can be fun. When i was an air driver i would try to make it an entire saturday with zero backs just to see if i could.

With that said, i get too paranoid that i will start getting more work dumped on me so don't nearly try as hard as i could. I also don't like to bonus drivers routes because i wouldn't want someone jacking up my route if i had one. So what im really trying to say, is it is fun to treat work like a game but its not worth it here. Instead, i just try to be as average as possible. Like a B student. Turn that into a game. How slightly above average can i be?

BostonBo

Just because a guy scratches a route it doesn't mean he's speeding and/or running. Maybe he's not screwing around. Our legs are meant to run and jump, and I've torn my shoulder up holding on to that damn handrail and pulling in the mirrors at every stop. Where's the spring to show how much negative force we place on our shoulder when we do those out of range motions? And some contracts allow us to NOT take a lunch, so other drivers need to mind their own business. If it gets taken out of your pay, take it. If you go out with 12 hour dispatches every day, take it. If you have straight business deliveries up until pickup time, take it. These are the only real instances I can think of where UPS can take advantage of their drivers and cut important routes. If I get a 10 or 11 hour dispatch I just grind it out so I can get home and feed the kids dinner before bedtime. Why stay out an extra hour on top of that?