Are You Working Feb 14th?

quadro

OK, Mr. Sarcasm. When upper management cuts special deals like this they open the door for future special deals...like delivering Xmas Day for Amazon or on Mother's Day for the flower companies, or any other Sunday where they can have a monopoly on the business.If they make it an open bid where only the people who want the OT get it, that's fine, but in my station people will be mandoed.

Think it through. Based on the 34 hr "recharge" rule, only Tues-Sat people will be working in most cases. And a lot of employees don't want to work Sundays for religious reasons or perhaps because they want to enjoy V-Day with their significant other.

I'm guessing this will become more frequent if it is a success, and we'll be working all the big shipment days. That's what happens when you don't have a contract.
You, FedExer267, and Washu234 apparently don't understand the 34 hour rule. Might want to "think it through". All that rule does is reset the total hours under the 60/70 hour rule. Why would only Tu-Sa people be working? There's nothing stopping Mon-Fri people working. Even Mon-Fri people who don't work feb 13 and work 50 hours feb 15 thru feb 18 can easily work 5 hours on feb 14 and still have 5 hours of cushion.

And so what if FedEx does end up delivering on Sundays and holidays? If enough customers want it and it's profitable, why wouldn't we want to do that? When we tried Sunday delivery before, we had people working Sunday as their scheduled day. Lots of people in many walks of life work Sundays. Why should FedEx employees be exempt?

Plenty of people will volunteer to work on the 14th and if by some chance not enough people do, then yes, some may get forced but at least it will be by reverse seniority and rotated through (i.e. fair and consistent) and that likely wouldn't be any different if a contract existed. There would have to be something in there regarding situations such as this.

quadro

It is ridiculous first of all working on a Sunday as the post says the 14th the last time I checked the 14th was a Sunday.
No one said the 14th wasn't a Sunday so what's your point?
Take into consideration that if this was to occur all the drivers who work sunday will not be working Monday because they will need 34 hours of rest before returning to work.
It is going to occur, no "if's" about it. See above regarding 34 hour rule as you have a solid misunderstanding of it.

northeast swing driver

Of course i will not be working because one of the few benefits I receive for getting jerked around every day as a swing is I can never be forced to work on a saturday or in this case a sunday.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I believe you are wrong there..if you are full time and have no hours issues, then they can force you to work...but there are ways out of it..lol

Doesn't the wonderful "operational necessity" clause apply to everyone? I know that part-timers can refuse due to their PT status, but FT people can be force-scheduled as needed.

Also, doesn't FedEx go by the 60 hr rule, and not the "60/70" regs as suggested by someone else? It's one or the other...not both. I know the RTD's are required to have 34 consecutive hours off-duty before the 60 hr clock can be reset. I'm no DOT expert, but management at my station isn't wanting any M-friend couriers to work the 14th because of hours issues.

northeast swing driver

Not sure how things work at your station but i havent worked a mandatory saturday in three years. not the saturday before xmas, not mothers day, not valentines day. about three years ago mgmt informed all the swing drivers in my sta that they had just been informed by district that we could never be forced to work any saturday. Haven't worked one since.

quadro

Doesn't the wonderful "operational necessity" clause apply to everyone? I know that part-timers can refuse due to their PT status, but FT people can be force-scheduled as needed.

Also, doesn't FedEx go by the 60 hr rule, and not the "60/70" regs as suggested by someone else? It's one or the other...not both. I know the RTD's are required to have 34 consecutive hours off-duty before the 60 hr clock can be reset. I'm no DOT expert, but management at my station isn't wanting any M-friend couriers to work the 14th because of hours issues.
It's a little unclear about the swing drivers being forced to work. I haven't really taken the time to look into it because at my location most of the swings want to work and sign up anyway so it's never an issue.

As for the hours, technically, I suppose you cannot have both as they are one and the same. When FedEx refers to 60 hours they are referring to 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days. Those are the DOT hours of service rules. Anyone, not just RTD's, have their hours reset anytime they have 34 consecutive hours off. If you work just 8 hours and then don't work for 34, you start again from zero.

There's really no reason that the M-friend couriers cannot work the 14th as long as you manage the hours. Having the Tue-Sat couriers work the 14th gives them 6 days (feb 9 thru feb 14). Having the M-friend couriers work the 14th gives them 6 days (feb 14 thru feb 19). The Tue-Sat couriers will have to be careful about running into the 60 hours on the 14th depending on how their week went. The M-friend couriers will have to be careful about the 60 hours on the 19th depending on how their week goes.

If your managers don't want the M-friend couriers to work then they are denying additional hour opportunities to those employees as well as being shortsighted in their schedule management.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's a little unclear about the swing drivers being forced to work. I haven't really taken the time to look into it because at my location most of the swings want to work and sign up anyway so it's never an issue.

As for the hours, technically, I suppose you cannot have both as they are one and the same. When FedEx refers to 60 hours they are referring to 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days. Those are the DOT hours of service rules. Anyone, not just RTD's, have their hours reset anytime they have 34 consecutive hours off. If you work just 8 hours and then don't work for 34, you start again from zero.

There's really no reason that the M-friend couriers cannot work the 14th as long as you manage the hours. Having the Tue-Sat couriers work the 14th gives them 6 days (feb 9 thru feb 14). Having the M-friend couriers work the 14th gives them 6 days (feb 14 thru feb 19). The Tue-Sat couriers will have to be careful about running into the 60 hours on the 14th depending on how their week went. The M-friend couriers will have to be careful about the 60 hours on the 19th depending on how their week goes.

If your managers don't want the M-friend couriers to work then they are denying additional hour opportunities to those employees as well as being shortsighted in their schedule management.

We go off the 60/7 rule, not the 70/8.

The Mayor

Another fine example of our PSP minded and religious sensitive upper management team. No matter what your beleifs, didn't they all have at least one day of rest??....Oh yeah, that's right, it was on SUNDAY.........

As much as we may not necessarily agree with everyone's posts or comments on this site, it is true though that this is just another area or window of opportunity for upper management to apply the shaft to hourly employees. Working on another holiday....Don't forget boys and girls...Christmas of 2010 is on a Saturday too....smell anything fishy?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Another fine example of our PSP minded and religious sensitive upper management team. No matter what your beleifs, didn't they all have at least one day of rest??....Oh yeah, that's right, it was on SUNDAY.........

As much as we may not necessarily agree with everyone's posts or comments on this site, it is true though that this is just another area or window of opportunity for upper management to apply the shaft to hourly employees. Working on another holiday....Don't forget boys and girls...Christmas of 2010 is on a Saturday too....smell anything fishy?

Smells like the bathroom on a tuna boat.

quadro

We go off the 60/7 rule, not the 70/8.
I know that but the restart rule is the same. My point was that several posters here, yourself included, don't seem to understand how that rule works. I was just trying to give an example to illustrate it.

quadro

OMG! First of all, Valentine's Day isn't a holiday by any stretch of the imagination. Secondly, you a little full of yourself and a little too self-important if you think that you are better than the thousands of other people, hourly and salaried, that work on a Sunday at a multitude of business around America? And so what if Christmas 2010 is on a Saturday? That'll be the observed holiday and just like most Christmases past, they'll be plenty of people who volunteer at FedEx to work that day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OMG! First of all, Valentine's Day isn't a holiday by any stretch of the imagination. Secondly, you a little full of yourself and a little too self-important if you think that you are better than the thousands of other people, hourly and salaried, that work on a Sunday at a multitude of business around America? And so what if Christmas 2010 is on a Saturday? That'll be the observed holiday and just like most Christmases past, they'll be plenty of people who volunteer at FedEx to work that day.

First, 60/7 requires a 34 hour reset. Second, do you happily and sheepishly comply with everything the company wants, no questions asked? Pretty soon, FedEx will be working Easter, Mother's Day, and Christmas too, just because they can. You know what, maybe I don't want to be required to work any of those days if there aren't enough volunteers. If past history is any indication of future trends, eventually it won't even be OT because they'll figure out a way to schedule people so they're on straight time. It wouldn't work for Xmas, but Easter and Mother's Day aren't FedEx-recognzied holidays. What's stopping them?
If Fred asked for your soul, would you give that to him too? Probably. Please grow a spine and stand-up for something besides the Smith Doctrine.

The Mayor

First off, you don't know me. I consider Valentine's day to be a holiday because I am in loving relationship with my wife and this is just another opportunity to demonstrate in a romantic way by spending time with one another, as well as an appreciation for one another. Secondly, if it's not considered a holiday, then why do millions of people in this country celebrate it? It is posted on calendars right?

I am not full of myself. You seem like an arrogant, blindsided Fed Ex cheerleader who is on their knees for upper management and the corporation. Granted, I will reluctantly agree with you that many people outside of Fed Ex will be working, but I will bet you 10 to 1 that they would much rather be at home with their signifcant others, spouses, or partners.

For all of the fool hardy people (like yourself) who are more eager to work on holidays (like Christmas) as you stated, be my guest pal. With my 20 year anniversary this year, I'll have no problem being at home with my family. Fred and company actually love people like you who are willing to put him and the company before their own family. Wonder how your family feels? :angry::biting::dead:

quadro

First, 60/7 requires a 34 hour reset.
I know that!!! That's what I've been telling you! What I don't think you understand is that it is 60 hours in a rolling 7 days, not a fixed 7 days.

Second, do you happily and sheepishly comply with everything the company wants, no questions asked? Pretty soon, FedEx will be working Easter, Mother's Day, and Christmas too, just because they can. You know what, maybe I don't want to be required to work any of those days if there aren't enough volunteers. If past history is any indication of future trends, eventually it won't even be OT because they'll figure out a way to schedule people so they're on straight time.
And so what if they can. Lots of businesses do. If FedEx can find a business model that works for those days and generate revenue, just like any other business, more power to them. That just means there are more hours to go around and possibly more jobs available. That is actually a good thing. And if FedEx decided to begin Sunday deliveries again, then why wouldn't they schedule people so they are on straight time just like they did before? Those employees might have Mon and Tue off and work 5 days. Some people like having days off during the week. There is nothing inherently wrong with working Sunday. Some people have a religious concern about that and good for them. I respect their beliefs. Some people don't have a concern and are fine with working Sunday. To each his own.
It wouldn't work for Xmas, but Easter and Mother's Day aren't FedEx-recognzied holidays. What's stopping them?
Mother's Day isn't a FedEx recognized holiday because...drum roll please...it's not a holiday. At least in the sense that Christmas is. It's really just a commercialization of an idea and a way for Hallmark to make lots of money. But I digress. Nothing is stopping FedEx from operating on those days. I don't need to be told what day to honor my mother. I do it each and every day and love her dearly. That doesn't make me a bad son if I work on Mother's Day.
If Fred asked for your soul, would you give that to him too? Probably. Please grow a spine and stand-up for something besides the Smith Doctrine.
No I wouldn't give him my soul and he's not asking. I stand-up for what I believe in and I believe that asking people to volunteer to work (and if necessary force a couple of newbies) on Valentine's Day is no big deal. There are literally millions of people who would love to have the opportunity to work, let alone on Valentine's Day and of all the problems to get bent about, this really isn't one of them.

quadro

First off, you don't know me. I consider Valentine's day to be a holiday because I am in loving relationship with my wife and this is just another opportunity to demonstrate in a romantic way by spending time with one another, as well as an appreciation for one another. Secondly, if it's not considered a holiday, then why do millions of people in this country celebrate it? It is posted on calendars right?
No, I don't know you and never said or implied I did. I just called it like I saw it. You can consider Valentine's Day to be a holiday all you want, it isn't a holiday in the sense that Christmas is. Millions celebrate it because it's there and they can. Also because Hallmark likes to make a lot of money and commercialize these things. :) It's too bad that it's the only day a lot of people take time to cherish their loved ones. Lots of people like to make a romantic day out of it and to them I say more power to you. If that's what makes you happy, go for it. I've got absolutely nothing against that. I also realize that a lot of people work on Valentine's Day, some by choice some not. For those FedEx employees that want to volunteer, good for them. For those that don't, good for them too. If you're a relative newbie and get forced, well sometimes that happens. You'll get paid and most likely it will be overtime so it's not the end of the world.
And just because it is on a calendar, doesn't make it a holiday.

I am not full of myself. You seem like an arrogant, blindsided Fed Ex cheerleader who is on their knees for upper management and the corporation. Granted, I will reluctantly agree with you that many people outside of Fed Ex will be working, but I will bet you 10 to 1 that they would much rather be at home with their signifcant others, spouses, or partners.
"Someone who is arrogant behaves in a proud, unpleasant way towards other people because they believe that they are more important than others." Your post to which I responded smacked of how you are too important to work on Valentine's Day and you said it with little regard for the plethora of people who do work on Valentine's Day.

For all of the fool hardy people (like yourself) who are more eager to work on holidays (like Christmas) as you stated, be my guest pal. With my 20 year anniversary this year, I'll have no problem being at home with my family. Fred and company actually love people like you who are willing to put him and the company before their own family. Wonder how your family feels? :angry::biting::dead:
There's that arrogance again. Why are people like me who want to work on a holiday foolhardy? What makes you so much better than me? To quote you, "you don't know me". With my 25+ years, I'll have no problem getting some overtime. I can then use that extra money to buy a little something extra for my loved one. I'm not putting FedEx before my family, I'm simply balancing the needs of my family with the requirements of my job. And because that allows me not only to provide for my family but spend time with them, my family loves me and appreciates the opportunities I've had over the last 25+ years. Thanks for asking. :happy2:

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I thought they were taking volunteers to work on VALENTINES DAY, but I watched Frontline yesterday and MT3 said that they were taking volunteers for VALENTIMES DAY...is this a wholly seperate day, is it still in the MUNT of FEBUARY? Or is it in FEBRUARY like VALENTINES DAY?

Just curious...

quadro

I thought they were taking volunteers to work on VALENTINES DAY, but I watched Frontline yesterday and MT3 said that they were taking volunteers for VALENTIMES DAY...is this a wholly seperate day, is it still in the MUNT of FEBUARY? Or is it in FEBRUARY like VALENTINES DAY?

Just curious...
Ah ha! True colors. Nice.