ARIZONA- How long to become driver? (2012)

How long were you a PT employee before getting a FT driver position??? Anyone hired recently??? Been a PT employee since April 2007... Still waiting for a FT driver position.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Seeing as we trained almost 40 drivers this year in the Feeder dept and will probably need another 40 next year I'd say your chances are pretty good. Typically it's been a 3-5 yr wait max in the Phoenix metro area. If you are in an extended center I would transfer.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
About 6 months ago, I looked at the central (PHX) seniority list.
The lowest package car driver had about 4 years.
104feeder is spot on.
I however work out of a center on the west side.

barnyard

KTM rider
Been a PT employee since April 2007... Still waiting for a FT driver position.

If you have been PT since 2007, you really ought to know where the seniority list is in your building. If you do not, find out and look at it. Look how many PT people have more seniority than you, then look at the FT list. How many people have 30+ years of FT service. The combination of those numbers will give you a pretty good idea.

But you probably know this already.

U

uber

I just became a friend/T driver and I started in April 2007 as well. But, I work in Oregon.

Impex

They are down around January of '06, but once they start again, all the guy's that got disqualified earlier will probably be up again ( 6 months) and will bump people on list.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does extended center mean? He works in the Phoenix main hub.

An extended center is one that is away from the main hub. I work in an extended center (Plattsburgh) that is 4 hours away from the main hub (Syracuse) and 2 hours away from the other hub (Albany). Opportunities for advancement are generally better in the larger facilities (unless, of course, you are hired off the street----did I mention that I was hired off the street in 1989?)