Article calls FedEx " The Wal-Mart of the trucking industry"

jmeti000

I had a nice little chat with my manager the other day about Express falling under RLA and the consequenses of it not...she point blank said there have already been talks and if that were to happen, and employees unionize, then FedEx will dump Express all together because it wont be able to meet the demands that would come with it from workers and still make enough for them to be considered profitable...Then she proceeded to say she really hopes it doesnt happen for 3 more years till she retires. I havent been with the company that long, but that doesnt really give me a warm fuzzy feeling about any great future with/for the company. Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that the best way through if it happens is to certify and gain experience in every little thing I can, and move on when the time comes...whenever that may be.

vantexan

I had a nice little chat with my manager the other day about Express falling under RLA and the consequenses of it not...she point blank said there have already been talks and if that were to happen, and employees unionize, then FedEx will dump Express all together because it wont be able to meet the demands that would come with it from workers and still make enough for them to be considered profitable...Then she proceeded to say she really hopes it doesnt happen for 3 more years till she retires. I havent been with the company that long, but that doesnt really give me a warm fuzzy feeling about any great future with/for the company. Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that the best way through if it happens is to certify and gain experience in every little thing I can, and move on when the time comes...whenever that may be.
I think you'll never regret getting that master's and pursuing whatever options it gives you. Even if you have to work at FedEx for a few years just hang in there.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The world has changed.

And that's the explanation for most of the questions and complaints in your post. The world has changed drastically.

Two quick things. The ration of CEO pay to that of the average ham n' egger doesn't mean anything. The reason so many new hires are leaving Express has to do with the quality of the applicant pool now vs. 20 years ago.

vantexan

And that's the explanation for most of the questions and complaints in your post. The world has changed drastically.Two quick things. The ration of CEO pay to that of the average ham n' egger doesn't mean anything. The reason so many new hires are leaving Express has to do with the quality of the applicant pool now vs. 20 years ago.
Horse hockey!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Two quick things. The ration of CEO pay to that of the average ham n' egger doesn't mean anything. The reason so many new hires are leaving Express has to do with the quality of the applicant pool now vs. 20 years ago.

BS

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Read around the web about the difference in job applicants these days verus, say, 20 years ago. Doesn't matter which industry, they all say about the same thing.

What makes you think that our employer is immune to a hassle that's present in every line of work in the country?

vantexan

Read around the web about the difference in job applicants these days verus, say, 20 years ago. Doesn't matter which industry, they all say about the same thing.What makes you think that our employer is immune to a hassle that's present in every line of work in the country?
Because quality applicants soon realize after they hire on that there's no future here and leave as soon as possible. The lack of quality people who stick with it is in direct correlation with the quality of the job being offered.

WhatCrass

You really think management is going to tell you something that's pro-union!? FedEx made almost $2 billion in profits and paid .0005% in taxes!