Article no. 52 success cases

ski or die

Ski or Die
Started vacation one day early while calling in sick from phone booth from destination airport with planes flying overhead. This was before cell phones so had to use phone booth. Management was suspicious and actually sent LP to our local airport to see if they could get info on my flights. Too bad the tickets weren't in my name so they came up with nothing. I was gone for 2 weeks and management kept coming by my house leaving sticky notes on my door to call them. Like I was gonna call them, ha ha. Went back to work on Monday after vacation, they never said a word. Bad thing now I'm retired I have to tell my spouse I'm sick and she can tell when I'm faking.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
We have had terminations for theft (misuse of COD money), theft of services ("borrowing" a peel off tracking label from a shipper to return a personal package) and falsification of records (recording a call tag nowhere near the address).

Do they fire people in your center for forging signatures or using the truck to move personal items to their house??

ski or die

Ski or Die
In one of our centers, 2 drivers were helping one of them move to his new house in a rural area. Management got word and parked along the route to try and catch them to no avail. Eventually the one that was moving was promoted to on car supervisor. I guess they figured he knew the tricks the drivers were using and he would be helpful to curb them.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Seriously Bug? I'm sure you have seen a helluva lot more than I have, if you're any good at your job.

A term, that is used quite frequently is;

"What do you have.... in the Bank ?"

Can't count how many RDR's were put back.

I'm not familiar with the abbreviation of RDR.

A few signing customers names.

That's a tricky one.

Anywhere from a 1 week suspension, to 90 day's on the first offense.

A couple of unreported accidents.

I have never understood, the aversion, to reporting an "incident".

What's the worst, that can happen ??

Get a Safety Ride.... and 9 months of easy money.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A term, that is used quite frequently is;

That's a tricky one.

-Bug-

RDR is the practice of scanning a NDA and then driving to the stop to beat the time commit.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

My bank account is full.

Record-Drive-Release.

Upstate already described it for you.

That's a tricky one.

Sounds about right.

Neither have I.

The whole point of this was that you asked for examples of employee put back to work after "committing a cardinal sin."

22.34life

Started vacation one day early while calling in sick from phone booth from destination airport with planes flying overhead. This was before cell phones so had to use phone booth. Management was suspicious and actually sent LP to our local airport to see if they could get info on my flights. Too bad the tickets weren't in my name so they came up with nothing. I was gone for 2 weeks and management kept coming by my house leaving sticky notes on my door to call them. Like I was gonna call them, ha ha. Went back to work on Monday after vacation, they never said a word. Bad thing now I'm retired I have to tell my spouse I'm sick and she can tell when I'm faking.
LP sent out to investigate one employee for calling in sick ONE day?sounds very cloak and dagger esk.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In 20+ years, I've never heard of a "sick day investigation". Our centers usually have bigger fish to fry than someone taking a mental day off.

This should be a warning to newer drivers that if you think you won't get the day off by asking for it, you call out sick. It all means the same in the end.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My bank account is full.

As it should be.

RDR is the practice of scanning a NDA and then driving to the stop to beat the time commit.

Record-Drive-Release.

Thanks for the update, on the abbreviation.

The company, has had that ability.... since SPARCS.

The whole point of this was that you asked for examples of employee put back to work after "committing a cardinal sin."

The OP asked.... not me. :biggrin:

-Bug-

ski or die

Ski or Die
LP sent out to investigate one employee for calling in sick ONE day?sounds very cloak and dagger esk.
I didn't have absentee problem, but I was known for filing grievances. Most were for management doing hourly work, which I won. Eventually became a steward and became a really pain in the rear. So they thought it best to help me find other work. Guess that didn't work either.

clean hairy

Like called off sick and was spotted out on the street somewhere?

Thought when you used a sick day it was your business why you were off.
True, though if a person is too sick to go to work, would you want to risk what happened to Bueller on Buellers day off?

clean hairy

How about getting released from jury duty and saying you're still there? Stupid :censored2:er.
If released on Monday and claiming on Tuesday, still on Jury Duty, yeah, stupid.
Although, if you are released in the morning within the timeframe set in the contract, then the rest of the day is yours to do as you please.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Its not a white lie if it costs you your employment.

We had a 20+ year driver's termination upheld at panel for "calling in sick" to go play in a golf tournament. Arbitratior upheld the termination for dishonesty. Not sure what his jacket looked like, but still something to keep in mind.
That doesn't add up. You don't have to be actually sick to use a sick day.

there must be more to this story.

Steward773

No, you don't. But when you call in and tell them you're sick and won't be in, and get caught, that is dishonesty. 17A in the Central.

I don't know about this. Personally I don't make it a habit to call out unless I'm sick. But how can the company prove you were not sick? Maybe you felt sick on the morning and felt better in the afternoon...you don't need a doctor's note here unless you are sick 3 or more days.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know about this. Personally I don't make it a habit to call out unless I'm sick. But how can the company prove you were not sick? Maybe you felt sick on the morning and felt better in the afternoon...you don't need a doctor's note here unless you are sick 3 or more days.

I agree. But when you call in sick at 8:00 and are at the golf course at 8:30....

Just need to tell them you will not be in today. If they ask why, just tell them it is personal business and you need the day off.