Hypothetical Contract Question

HyperBrn

I can't imagine it happening this way this time around. But I was curious.

In the HYPOTHETICAL case where the company and the union negotiators were able to reach an agreement that the IBT passed along to us with a recommendation to ratify, but the membership voted it down anyway. How would the IBT know what to re-negotiate when they went back to the table? In their eyes the deal they pushed to us was good enough for them.

Again this has nothing to do with current conditions. More curious about the edge cases.

Thebrownblob

In the HYPOTHETICAL case where the company and the union negotiators were able to reach an agreement that the IBT passed along to us with a recommendation to ratify, but the membership voted it down anyway. How would the IBT know what to re-negotiate when they went back to the table? In their eyes the deal they pushed to us was good enough for them.

Again this has nothing to do with current conditions. More curious about the edge cases.
Contract meetings at locals, online polls, general word of mouth, it wouldn’t be too hard to figure out what the members were unhappy about the most

Max Headroom

You start over potentially. I think everything is off the table when it gets voted down.

DOK

Was wondering the same, does a voted down tentative agreement automatically trigger a strike since the strike authorization vote was yes?

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Hypothetically speaking, if I were to be hit by a car on the job, and unable to work would workman's comp pay while we were hypothetically on strike.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
So hypothetically I could keep making lease payments on my Altima, pay the HOA fee at my condo, and keep my cat fed, without tapping into my brokerage account at Edward Jones. Hypothetically

Was wondering the same, does a voted down tentative agreement automatically trigger a strike since the strike authorization vote was yes?
Doubtful, since in this scenario the deal was endorsed by the IBT. It would be a good faith gesture to keep us working, and would most likely be the case.