as a package handler, do we HAVE to work overtime?

mickee24

i applied for 330pm-830pm so anything goes beyond 5 hours is over time.. so do we have to do over time or i can just go home? because i applied in ups because of the time..:happy2:

mickee24

well, they do inform us on how many trailers,cars,skids and extras that we still have to do.. one thing is they dont ask us if we want to go home when our shift is done like 5 hours. :happy2:

UPSGUY72

i applied for 330pm-830pm so anything goes beyond 5 hours is over time.. so do we have to do over time or i can just go home? because i applied in ups because of the time..:happy2:

You applied for a positon the starts at 3:30 and ends around 8:30. Somedays you will be let go early and somedeays you might have to stay later. You get to go home when the job is done and they tell you that you can not when you want.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Mickee if you are working OT as a part time package handler please contact your union and inform them of this. Plenty of full timers are laid off and if part timers are getting OT that will help the union.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Once again, advice is given and no responsible info is posted.

First, in your state, check to see how many hours you have to work in order to qualify for overtime. Most states require employees to work a minimum of 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week before qualifying for overtime.

I assure you, you are coming nowhere near 40 hours in the hub.

The extra time is merely extra time. Take the money and run, you may be laid off sometime in the near future if volume continues to decrease.

Learn to save money and respect the job you have before its gone.

:wink2:

raceanoncr

Yes, you do have to work any and all O/T thrown at you. Sorry if it interferes with your life and I'm not saying that sarcastically. I came here many years ago, too, with the hope to do away with O/T but in 31 years, mostly feeders, I can tell you honestly, there have been maybe 5 days when I just worked 8 hours or a little over.

I know, as a P/Ter, that you probably have other things going on, like school, family or other jobs, but remember that these are trying times. The economy is taking a toll on many peoples lives. Many would die to be in your position right now, and, again, I say that without knowing details of your circumstances.

Also keep in mind that everything at UPS is cyclical, that is everything, given enough time, always come back around to face you again, or bite you, as the case may be. We've got feeder drivers here (and I'll just use that example cause that's what I see most) that get their run cut down to not as much O/T as they're used to. Honestly, I've never seen grown people throw such hissie fits in my life! Two weeks later, their O/T is back with a vengeance! You know what? They're crying again! Now, too much O/T! Gee Whiz! What do you want?

Here, I've always taken what UPS threw at me. If they got the money, I'll take it! I always thot, it may not be there tomorrow.

Remember this also: If you don't want O/T, make it known you want all you can get! You'll be cut down in a hurry.

If you WANT O/T, make it known that all you want is your 3/3.5/8 hours, whatever it may be, you'll get O/T heaped on you like you wouldn't believe. Try it, it works! :why: Don't know!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"

First, in your state, check to see how many hours you have to work in order to qualify for overtime. Most states require employees to work a minimum of 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week before qualifying for overtime.

The extra time is merely extra time. Take the money and run, you may be laid off sometime in the near future if volume continues to decrease.

You criticize other's posts and then post misinformation. Read the original post again and then see if yours fits.:dissapointed:

JonFrum

Language may differ from region to region. This is from the New England Supplement . . .

ARTICLE 55 --- PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1

"Part-time employees are defined as employees who, when reporting to work as scheduled, shall receive the guarantee provided in Article 22, Section 5(d), except for those part-time employees scheduled to work eight (8) hours. Should any part-time employee be required to work beyond the fifth (5th) hour he shall be paid one and one half (1½) times his regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) hours on that day.

When an employee elects to accept an assignment to a second shift, prior to the end of their regular shift this provision shall not apply."

jose lopez

I work at the hub and i get 43.hours a week and I'm a part timer

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I work at the hub and i get 43.hours a week and I'm a part timer
2014-10-12-12-48-56-566294027.jpeg

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's a reality in a lot of locations. Here they give away OT like they're running for office. Lots of double shifting. And our volume is ridiculously high. A normal twilight (reload in some areas I guess) use to be 18k. We run anywhere from 20-27k most days now. Nights are busier too, but we reduced our day sort to a skeleton crew because of late trains. However, we only get 4 of day sorts trailers and they're spread between Twilight and Night and the rest have been rerouted to either DenCo or PorOr. We're still up in volume. Lots of OT here.