Aspiring Package Car Driver seeking advice

JJinVA

I'm still slightly fresh just under a month on the job, but I have a solid reputation with my sups because i like to stay late and come early. From what I hear Covid-19 and retirements are starting to stretch the driving departments thin, and i want to strike while the iron is hot and get my name out there. I'm not entirely sure of where exactly I stand, but I know that my chances are probably at an all time high
Its true that your chances are much higher right now. Fortunately on the one hand and unfortunately on the other, this wave of opportunity wont last indefinitely. Which means yes, you might end up getting in the driver seat sooner, but you also may end up catching the boot once things go somewhat back to normal in the form of a layoff. Dont make the mistake of being so eager to impress management that you end up getting out there and having an accident due to rushing. Do the job safely, with a responsible sense of urgency. Best of luck

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm still slightly fresh just under a month on the job, but I have a solid reputation with my sups because i like to stay late and come early. From what I hear Covid-19 and retirements are starting to stretch the driving departments thin, and i want to strike while the iron is hot and get my name out there. I'm not entirely sure of where exactly I stand, but I know that my chances are probably at an all time high

Doesent matter how much ass you kiss it goes by seniority when you have enough of
It you get your chance

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Your husband & father we're not service providers their entire career. Your dad (according to you) worked corporate and your husband if I remember right was management. I believe a division or operations manager, perhaps center manager.
You're right to your own opinion. I respect that, but your family is not in the same position as this young man right now and perhaps he'll stay, perhaps he'll make it all the way to Georgia but the odds are stacked tremendously now and he will morph over his career. If he's willing to accept that. It's worth it. That's all I'm saying.

I've always said. Nobody succeeded financially without a fair amount of stress. No good/great paying job is easy.
My dad started out at UPS when I was a very little kid. UPS was only in a couple of states and he was in customer service. We moved to Atlanta and then California based upon his job. He got my high school bf, now long time husband, a pt job there when he was 18. He was a pt splitter, then added a pick up driver to splitter for a few years, then was a full time driver for several years, then went into mgt for a few. He left before retiring to help out with the business stuff my dad took care of after my dad unexpectedly died at 57.

We've known a lot of upsers over many years. Your blanket statement is based upon your own experience. I'm not saying you don't believe it. I'm just saying that your own point of view is based upon your own life experience and attitude. Just like mine is.

....No good/great paying job is easy.

This one is. Maybe you have no other work experience so your worst day at UPS is your worst day at work, ever. It's all relative, but if you have nothing to compare it to, you'd never know. Every Friday, I wake up and feel like I'm stealing. Again, my experience, my perspective.

quad decade guy

My dad started out at UPS when I was a very little kid. UPS was only in a couple of states and he was in customer service. We moved to Atlanta and then California based upon his job. He got my high school bf, now long time husband, a pt job there when he was 18. He was a pt splitter, then added a pick up driver to splitter for a few years, then was a full time driver for several years, then went into mgt for a few. He left before retiring to help out with the business stuff my dad took care of after my dad unexpectedly died at 57.

We've known a lot of upsers over many years. Your blanket statement is based upon your own experience. I'm not saying you don't believe it. I'm just saying that your own point of view is based upon your own life experience and attitude. Just like mine is.
Interesting conversation. May I? I won't go into the minute details but I have 40 years and still here. UPS has been a love/hate relationship: love the paycheck and hate (some) of the folks I've worked for. The benefits and steady employment keeps me here. I've always admired the UPS'ers that seem to skip into work always positive. The hard, long work days never bothered me. The unnecessary hateful attitudes of some mgt. did. I have worn a brown uniform for 40 years. The size has changed over the years....Does it change you? Sure. But that's a terribly complex question.

Do it again? I would. Knowing what I know now of course. Getting into mgt. as fast as possible would have had the greatest opportunities vs. hourly. Not only for the financial benefits but job availability. My biggest disappointment is/was not being able to tap into our aviation department as I am a pilot, mechanic and airplane owner as well as degreed in aviation. For the record, when I hired on- I did not know we were so limited for job opportunities. Shame really....for everyone. Thanks for listening.

quad decade guy

Doesent matter how much ass you kiss it goes by seniority when you have enough of
It you get your chance
Well, not all together true. If they don't like you-you won't make it. You'll get your chance true. But not the chance to make it if they don't want you to. You don't make it by pure seniority. With all respect.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I hope this doesn't equate to you working when not punched in...

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

He was lucky to have you as his daughter. ❤️

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
@FitbitApp doesnt know his nose from his a jole half the time.
Yes sir, that FitBit was a chowder head. Obnoxious would be more fitting. I think he knew the time at that time was not the time to take a stand. I believe in a couple years he'll step back and not voice his opinion so rudely. 2-years ago... it had to be said. Sorry Poopy, everything is working out.

bumped

To the OP...I wouldn't try for the seasonal driving job this year. Do your part time and try to driver help. The extra couple of dollars are not worth it. Try to have your driver teach you the DIAD. You can watch and learn up close, and decide if this is a career you want to go after.

rustys954rr

To the OP...I wouldn't try for the seasonal driving job this year. Do your part time and try to driver help. The extra couple of dollars are not worth it. Try to have your driver teach you the DIAD. You can watch and learn up close, and decide if this is a career you want to go after.
I pretty much did it this way, I wouldn't waste my time with a seasonal driving job especially since you're working part time you probably have another job you'd have to quit. Just bid until you get one, then go all in.