Aspiring Package Car Driver seeking advice

gmn20

Hi there, this is my first time on BrownCafe, so I'm sorry if this post looks rough. I'm in my early 20's and I live and work for UPS in Illinois. Rumor has it that my facility will be having some package car opportunities heading into the holiday season, I really want to pursue a driving career with UPS especially the package car as I've always thought it would be a super rewarding and steady job. I had some questions and I figured the best way to understand things better was to go to the source, no not UPSers, the real source. Would a standard issue driver's license be enough to apply? or would I need a Class C license? or some sort of non-CDL identification to drive the package car? Also knowing or not knowing driving stick a deal breaker? I'm willing to learn whatever it takes to get the position, but I don't want to put my name down and be underprepared and waste such a great opportunity and maybe even have enough money to have a little family of my own someday. So I turn to the seasoned veterans for whatever wisdom you can spare to a young guy like me, anything I can get is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

542thruNthru

Hi there, this is my first time on BrownCafe, so I'm sorry if this post looks rough. I'm in my early 20's and I live and work for UPS in Illinois. Rumor has it that my facility will be having some package car opportunities heading into the holiday season, I really want to pursue a driving career with UPS especially the package car as I've always thought it would be a super rewarding and steady job. I had some questions and I figured the best way to understand things better was to go to the source, no not UPSers, the real source. Would a standard issue driver's license be enough to apply? or would I need a Class C license? or some sort of non-CDL identification to drive the package car? Also knowing or not knowing driving stick a deal breaker? I'm willing to learn whatever it takes to get the position, but I don't want to put my name down and be underprepared and waste such a great opportunity and maybe even have enough money to have a little family of my own someday. So I turn to the seasoned veterans for whatever wisdom you can spare to a young guy like me, anything I can get is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Regular driver's license is all you need.
Most areas don't train with stick anymore but some still do. So you'll have to ask HR or the training sup.

Do you work at UPS currently? Just know they are only hiring seasonal driver's right now.

Re-Raise

Actually I am a pkg car driver in Illinois and I am pretty sure you are required to have a class C license. Once you are in line to become a driver they let you take pkg car to the DMV to get your C license.

We still have some stick shift vehicles at our center that you may be required to drive at some point, so any experience you can get would be a good idea

GenericUsername

If your center requires a stick shift I'd be surprised. Our last one was demolished earlier this year and we seem to be one of the last places to have new things. In the interim, if your center requires one and you don't have a way to learn before then, at least you have opportunity to be a PVD driver so you can learn some area. That is, if you're willing to use your own personal vehicle.

Other good opportunities would be double shifting inside your center if it's available, or doing driver helper for a few hours after preload/prior to reload if those are your shifts. You can still make good money this time of year, it's just up to you if you want to take advantage of it or not.

542thruNthru

Actually I am a pkg car driver in Illinois and I am pretty sure you are required to have a class C license. Once you are in line to become a driver they let you take pkg car to the DMV to get your C license.

We still have some stick shift vehicles at our center that you may be required to drive at some point, so any experience you can get would be a good idea
Strange, here a Class C is a regular driver's license. What is it there?

gmn20

Regular driver's license is all you need.
Most areas don't train with stick anymore but some still do. So you'll have to ask HR or the training sup.

Do you work at UPS currently? Just know they are only hiring seasonal driver's right now.
I do work there currently as a loader, if seasonal is all that they have I'm content with gaining valuable experience and then waiting for full time work.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Don't need a CDL to drive a package car
5AF213C4-CB55-4D26-A02F-DA9E47B5D625.png

Nobody said they did

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Is a nice house, boat, muscle car, Razor and $400k 401(k) worth more than your livelihood? If it is worth as much or more. Then you should hit it hard. Your personality will do a 180 the longer you stay. Nobody ever, ever retired at UPS that wasn't friend'd up in one way or the other. This is a fact. It will change you. Not scaring you. Just so you know. This applies to those over 25-years.

So if you strive to live good, real good. Go for it. If you are soft, nice, happy and want to remain that way. Shoot for a different career.

charm299

In Louisiana we need a class d chauffeurs license

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Is a nice house, boat, muscle car, Razor and $400k 401(k) worth more than your livelihood? If it is worth as much or more. Then you should hit it hard. Your personality will do a 180 the longer you stay. Nobody ever, ever retired at UPS that wasn't friend'd up in one way or the other. This is a fact. It will change you. Not scaring you. Just so you know. This applies to those over 25-years.

So if you strive to live good, real good. Go for it. If you are soft, nice, happy and want to remain that way. Shoot for a different career.
I assume you're speaking from your own experience... I disagree. My dad and husband both worked for UPS for over 25 years.

JJinVA

Since youve said you already work for UPS, your chances of becoming a driver are greater than an off the street hire. None of the trucks at our center are manual, though I could drive one if I had to, just sucks using a clutch especially in a driving profession, wears your legs and ankles out before you even start the walking.

Do you know where you stand on the seniority list? How many ppl infront of you want to go driving? Lots of ppl sign the list and then never take the opportunity, or something happens like they get a ticket or an accident and get DQ'ed.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
I assume you're speaking from your own experience... I disagree. My dad and husband both worked for UPS for over 25 years.
Your husband & father we're not service providers their entire career. Your dad (according to you) worked corporate and your husband if I remember right was management. I believe a division or operations manager, perhaps center manager.
You're right to your own opinion. I respect that, but your family is not in the same position as this young man right now and perhaps he'll stay, perhaps he'll make it all the way to Georgia but the odds are stacked tremendously now and he will morph over his career. If he's willing to accept that. It's worth it. That's all I'm saying.

I've always said. Nobody succeeded financially without a fair amount of stress. No good/great paying job is easy.

gmn20

Since youve said you already work for UPS, your chances of becoming a driver are greater than an off the street hire. None of the trucks at our center are manual, though I could drive one if I had to, just sucks using a clutch especially in a driving profession, wears your legs and ankles out before you even start the walking.

Do you know where you stand on the seniority list? How many ppl infront of you want to go driving? Lots of ppl sign the list and then never take the opportunity, or something happens like they get a ticket or an accident and get DQ'ed.
I'm still slightly fresh just under a month on the job, but I have a solid reputation with my sups because i like to stay late and come early. From what I hear Covid-19 and retirements are starting to stretch the driving departments thin, and i want to strike while the iron is hot and get my name out there. I'm not entirely sure of where exactly I stand, but I know that my chances are probably at an all time high

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
I will say this. I would of loved to meet your old man. He & I would of got along real good. He was back in the day.

Just yesterday I ran into a 90-year anniversary Founder's Day Gift. Real neat package car with note and corporate letter of thanks from Mr. Kelly and it brought me back to a time before this company was publicly traded. Back to a time a guy like your husband or dad walked into a building and you stood at attention and displayed complete respect. Much like removing your hat.

Those days are gone, Cher. It's only right to let the new hires with young families and huge ambitions to know. It won't be easy. If they're willing to accept that. Go for it. 👍