Automation Fails

old levi's

blank space
My retirement celebration was 2 EAM's, left the building before the pcm, heavy day, and when I got back that night, the building was empty.

Clocked out, and went home.

jaker

trolling
My last day is 5/7 and the other driver who is retiring on the same day (6/22) finishes on 5/11. We are combining our last day (5/11) and retirement celebrations.

I hope to hell they don't ask me to say what I really want to say.
Well if is anything like you say here , it more then likely is you saying you are going management

gorilla75jdw

I'm trying to get a larger perspective on the company's attempts at introducing automation in hubs. At least in my building...

• We have three Rubus doors. I haven't seen them used in ages. Too many problems with it, I guess, unless there was some Union thing I'm not aware of.
  • They brought in these "Clearpath" robotic irreg carts. If rumor is correct, one of them hit a worker, and they've all been collecting massive dust ever since.
  • We have a giant robotic arm with suction cups that's supposed to unload pallets. As with Rubus, hasn't been used.
  • We still actively use a gaylord dumper for smalls, but it's only as good as Amazon's ability to put just smalls in the gaylords.
  • Our automatic sorters work most of the time. The tenders are the under-appreciated backbone of the entire operation.
Can we expect any improvement on these failures? Are these failures happening at other buildings as well?
I'm trying to get a larger perspective on the company's attempts at introducing automation in hubs. At least in my building...

• We have three Rubus doors. I haven't seen them used in ages. Too many problems with it, I guess, unless there was some Union thing I'm not aware of.
  • They brought in these "Clearpath" robotic irreg carts. If rumor is correct, one of them hit a worker, and they've all been collecting massive dust ever since.
  • We have a giant robotic arm with suction cups that's supposed to unload pallets. As with Rubus, hasn't been used.
  • We still actively use a gaylord dumper for smalls, but it's only as good as Amazon's ability to put just smalls in the gaylords.
  • Our automatic sorters work most of the time. The tenders are the under-appreciated backbone of the entire operation.
Can we expect any improvement on these failures? Are these failures happening at other buildings as well?

I'm interested in what your calling the "clearpath" irreg mechanism . Is there anyway you could go more in depth , in detail on what it is ? , how it works? Maybe sneak a picture ? Anything descriptive would be appreciated, TIA.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I'm interested in what your calling the "clearpath" irreg mechanism . Is there anyway you could go more in depth , in detail on what it is ? , how it works? Maybe sneak a picture ? Anything descriptive would be appreciated, TIA.

**I am not the photographer.**

22555701_10214129980353061_8174743858644527910_o.jpg

Indecisi0n

Inside automation is coming. In fact it's already in use in most major hubs. Inside jobs look out. Hopefully Union puts language in contract to protect those jobs.

polyp

Inside automation is coming. In fact it's already in use in most major hubs. Inside jobs look out. Hopefully Union puts language in contract to protect those jobs.

I don't expect my job to hang around until I'd be ready to retire. That said, we'll probably be hit by it later than other warehousing operations, since UPS has limited control over the parcels that customers put into the system. Amazon & co can change their box packing to work around the shortcomings in their automated systems. We, meanwhile, can't even get our accounts to use actual tape.