Avatar -Science Fiction or Disgrace ?

island1fox

I'm going to have to take your word that "24" is beloved by liberals, I honestly don't know that much about it. Does he really torture someone on every show? My impression had been that it was a plot device on one or two episodes, not that the entire series was a celebration of The Inquisition. I will say that if you start basing real life policy on your favorite TV show, you're on pretty shaky ground.

Jones,
I did not mean to mislead you --I do not speak for libs --Many people I associate and socialize with are very liberal --I live in a "Blue" state --that is 0/k with me each to his own. I just find it amusing when they cheer and yell for Jack Bauer the finctional CIA operative who breaks every law in the book --you name it --torture ect.
You can keep pointing out the show is fictional --I get it --But it is obviously based on our current real war on terror --or whatever you want to call it---It showcases the discussion of "torture vs No torture" I am not saying what is right or wrong --I personally feel that what the "FICTIONAL" CIA man does on 24 is o/k with me in REAL life. My Liberal friends have the conflict --That cheer the fictional CIA MAN --but would want to put the REAL CIA MAN --ON TRIAL ????

P.S. The entire last year season was based on Jack Bauer being brought before the Liberal politicians --to eventually stand trial for his conduct --the entire series was based on this even when the Fictional President of the Fictional United States had to decide to permit torture or not ---I understand you have not watched the show --if you can-- check it out this year --I believe it begins in two weeks ---this year I do not yet know what the season will be based on. As I am sure you will repeat ----it is fiction ----I will repeat --based on CURRENT real events .
I would not be surprised if it deals with a fictional airplane with a fictional terroist with explosives !!!!:peaceful: We will have the same result --the bomb does not go off --should Jack Bauer "interview" the bomber ???

Last year Garafalo worked for the FBI ---of course fictional !!:wink2:

diesel96

dizzee....amazing, your like "Jeopardy Smart" when it comes to Computer graphics..:peaceful:

Now Diesel may say I am Repulican or a phony Independant or Purple may "call me out " --Each to his own.

And may God Bless America --for all its rights and wrongs ---I have lived in three different countries for over a ten year period during my UPS years -Retired with free choice I would live no other place on earth. I try not to live in the past-- Just stongly disagree with the "honest self evaluators" that seem to belong to the blame America first crowd.
If we all truly worked together--We can only Imagine what this great Country would truly be --maybe in the next life:happy-very: If at all possible do not "label " me !!!

We all can adhere and applaud your story and background, as I think we all have an interesting story to tell, but the quote I have highlighted in bold is where I draw the line. If your definition of "self evaluators" is purely a simpleton form of just "Blame America " crowd you are so mistaken.
There is a sleeping giant in the form of "self evaluators" in America who will not sit back and allow their country to self destruct and bankroll America, into oblivion. Once again, there is cause and effects, and if ignorant "self proclaimed" Patriots are incapable of removing themselves from such a self centered, "America can do nothing wrong" attitude, they are nothing more than a "bury they're heads in the sand deniers"...any scholar will tell you, in order to solve an equation, you must first examine the root cause and elements.

Although, I may not agree with Dr Ron Paul and his objection with Gov't handling airport security, he is dead on with X-mas day attack is a direct result of our recent actions in Yemen. This is not what I would classify as "Blame America", but blame the movers and shakers who decided to kill more civilians than bad guys in a series of bombings two weeks ago..

island1fox

dizzee....amazing, your like "Jeopardy Smart" when it comes to Computer graphics..:peaceful:

We all can adhere and applaud your story and background, as I think we all have an interesting story to tell, but the quote I have highlighted in bold is where I draw the line. If your definition of "self evaluators" is purely a simpleton form of just "Blame America " crowd you are so mistaken.
There is a sleeping giant in the form of "self evaluators" in America who will not sit back and allow their country to self destruct and bankroll America, into oblivion. Once again, there is cause and effects, and if ignorant "self proclaimed" Patriots are incapable of removing themselves from such a self centered, "America can do nothing wrong" attitude, they are nothing more than a "bury they're heads in the sand deniers"...any scholar will tell you, in order to solve an equation, you must first examine the root cause and elements.

Although, I may not agree with Dr Ron Paul and his objection with Gov't handling airport security, he is dead on with X-mas day attack is a direct result of our recent actions in Yemen. This is not what I would classify as "Blame America", but blame the movers and shakers who decided to kill more civilians than bad guys in a series of bombings two weeks ago..

YouTube- Ron Paul on Terrorism 12/ 28/ 2009.

YouTube- Ron Paul To Ben Stein December 28 2009 'You're An Embarrassment!'.

Diesel,
As I said each to his own !!
Happy new year:peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally Posted by diesel96

Is that smarter than "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?"

tieguy

Banned

Again the example I give you is the 23 year old nigerian who is our most recent terrorist to attack this country. Exactly what cause hath this country raught on a 23 year old nigerian to gain the terrorist attack as an affect. I don't buy it. Just announce yourself as the country hater you are and lets move on from this bullschit.

Reverend Wrong didn't work for you so now you try to drum up Ron Paul to earn some brownie points?

wkmac

If your definition of "self evaluators"

I got on a self elevator once and was alone with this beautiful, built, very sexy dressed woman. She gave me this real slutty look, hit the stop elevator button between floors, then walked towards me and bent over and starte......what...OH,,,self EVALUATORS! OK never mind!
:wink2:

No seriously, since Tie brought up Rev. Wright and I'll go to the video Tie posted of his infamous sermon. Preachers like lots of various public speakers will use hyperbole with crescendo to bring the listener to a peak point and then used this the drop down and make a deeper point for the listener to consider. Wright did the same but after he built up to his "Chickens home to roost" he used this and the upset of the previous weeks events to say to everyone to take a look at yourself. Be willing to examine yourself and don't be afraid to do so. The message of Jesus also equally sez the same thing and yeah it's not pleasant at times doing so.

Would anyone here, especially those who proclaim the christian faith dare decry me as some unAmerican if I point out in Matthew 26 where Jesus told Peter, "those who live by the sword will die by the sword." I know in context to the situation at the time in which these words were uttered but think of the greater logic here. Does the bully not eventually go down? Even age will make an old man of him and then what becomes of him when he faces a younger and stronger man? Remember Hollywood and the aging gunfighter who either tires of the life of aggression and wants to get away from it or continues until he meets a younger and faster gun and the lifeless body of the old gunfighter lay in the street proving Jesus' point perfectly. Or what if the crowd tires of the bully and faces him down. What are political revolutions? Using a broader context of Jesus words, how do we use the sword and at what peril to ourselves?

I'm not even a self professing christian (although I marvel at Jesus' wisdom and lessons) and I clearly heard Wright's ultimate point and yeah it wasn't comfortable but when is self examination comfortable? Is it comfortable for the sinner to examine himself to the teaching of Jesus and would anyone dare call him a traitor other than another sinner? Going back to the wise point and observation made by Jesus to Peter before being taken away by the Romans, I do see his point from a philosophical POV in a much greater context and thus the reason I marvel at him and thus I grasped the non-aggression beliefs of libertarian/anarchist ideals.

Also because someone criticizes a gov't policy does not in any way mean they hate America. I contend that America and the gov't which dominates it are 2 very separate things entirely and if people truly had any real choice at all and with all the facts in hand, what America would be and what the gov't is would be so obvious, it would be equal to the difference between Jesus and Satan himself and IMHO I'm not using HYPERBOLE either, that is what I think of our gov't!

I think D is dead on the money about a sleeping giant of self evaluators in this country and more and more of them are starting the stir. Like D finding some measure of truth in Ron Paul, so too have I with the likes of say Dennis Kucinich or Ralph Nader although we disagree on so much. The fact is, the walls built by political operatives and vested interests otherwise known as left and right are starting to crack and crumble and none to soon IMO either. Even President Bush wasn't wrong all the time and same true of Obama. I applaud his stand on marijuana and lessening the drug war effect it could have and I applauded his early openings to Iran but this window seems to have closed at this point. But of equal measure neither is Ron Paul always right. But where Ron, Dennis, Ralph have faults, they at least have shown a sincerity and aren't out with evil or self serving intent like so many others are on both sides of the oligarchiacal political isle. The biggest reason Social Security is bad is that Congress used the money as some type of slush fund instead of making a locked away piggy bank and I've no doubt they will manipulate healthcare just as well. Their word is no good with me.

But the only way to move past that oligarchy is the courage to self examine, question and yes even challenge the status quo. Doing this will require self evaluation and national evaluation and it won't be pleasant, it won't be comfortable. But if we don't and continue course, where will we end up?

jmo.

BTW D, what websites you been visiting?
:nono2::winks:

:happy-very:

wkmac

Finally saw Avatar last night (waited for the crowds to die down) and technologically speaking, WOW! Everything else is about been said so I'll leave it at that.

tieguy

Banned

what exactly does a 23 year old rich kid bankers kid have to do with yemen?

how does this now rebubbed theory of yours work. Does the us get any kind of goodness vouchers for the good they do in the world or are we strictly held accountable for the those things percieved to be our fault.

why for instance would the nigerian decide yemen is more important an issue to him as opposed to bushs war on aids in africa?

Since you agree that the terrorist are justified to attack us for these things will you now serve up your family members as payment?

wkmac

what exactly does a 23 year old rich kid bankers kid have to do with yemen?

What is it about this that sounds familar?

From the Helen Thomas thread earlier this morning:

care to comment on what revenge a 23 year old rich kid bankers son sought under your defense of terrorism?

D, are you playing hard to get? Seems to be driving someone crazy!

Keep up the good work!

:rofl:

tieguy

Banned
I'm not sure who the we is unless you have a mouse or other small animal in your pocket.

the argument I make is one that is destroying diesels defense of the terrorist. when you argue that the chickens have come home to roost you are arguing cause and affect. I destroy that argument as I prove that the decision making has been very selective. There are many reasons for acts of terrorism with revenge being just one. The 23 year old nigerian was a rich kid who had no revenge to seek.

I do appreciate your running to diesels defense as it shows I was scoring points and drawing blood.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not sure who the we is unless you have a mouse or other small animal in your pocket.

the argument I make is one that is destroying diesels defense of the terrorist. when you argue that the chickens have come home to roost you are arguing cause and affect. I destroy that argument as I prove that the decision making has been very selective. There are many reasons for acts of terrorism with revenge being just one. The 23 year old nigerian was a rich kid who had no revenge to seek.

I do appreciate your running to diesels defense as it shows I was scoring points and drawing blood.
That would all be fine, Tie, if people were rational. That a "23 year old nigerian" has no reason to seek revenge on the United States may and probably is true. But one's chosen ideology need not conform to the facts in order to hold that ideology as truth. Middle class Americans have nothing to complain about, but they do. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, didn't matter. Recycling in many instances costs more than it saves, doesn't matter. The federal government didn't do anything to Tim McVeigh but he perceived wrong-doing. The facts don't matter to the indoctrinated, which gives Sara Palin a shot at the nomination (I know, not this thread).:happy2::peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
Keep going. Follow the logic all the way through. Don't worry. We'll go slow for you.

A fdx guy has no other speed. You're the guy voting for tax and spend liberals hoping to get rich someday? Kinda like playing russian roulette with six chambers full.

bbsam

Staff member
A fdx guy has no other speed. You're the guy voting for tax and spend liberals hoping to get rich someday? Kinda like playing russian roulette with six chambers full.
Yes, and I still have the confidence that I'm gonna win.:happy-very: May have to redefine "winning", but ya do what ya must.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Back on topic :happy-very:
I finally saw this in 3D (the IMAX in Guilderlands was sold out) and thought it was absolutely stunning. Both the story and the writing had some weaknesses but they were way overshadowed by the film as a whole. Great movie.