I'm Tired....

island1fox

Exactly where is it that I even hinted that the tax cuts were "evil"? And where in my statement did I infer "tax cuts for the rich"? My point is that politicians of all stripes spend outside their budgets or in the case of the Bush team simply leave little things like spending on 2 wars "off the books". And I believe the tax cuts were left in place for two reasons: 1. part of the stimulus mindset, and 2. letting them expire is politically easier.

Now your turn. If the tax cuts were so good, how did the country end up in a financial meltdown at the beginning of the Obama administration? The Republican wisdom seem to be that tax cuts spur economic growth, so what happened? Why did we have huge deficit spending even not including war spending?

10% unemployment? Institute the draft/civil service corp and make service mandatory for some age groups like in Israel. Then stop extending unemployment benefits. Problem solved.

bbsam,
Again you make me smile --so short sighted .
First of all the left talking points --Bush tax cuts for the rich --evil tax cuts -have been played over and over.

Me next ?
As an Independent I can tell you that our former President --Bush made many mistakes --Nation buiding in Iraq for one and not securing our borders for another.
What I am sick and tired of the left claiming that the Bush tax cuts caused the worlwide economic meltdown.
First Bush came in with a declining economy (DOT COM BALLON BUST} --look at the facts -Clinton"s last six months.
Sept 11th Devasted the economy --Reality -Bush tax cuts for ALL -truly stimulated the economy and kept unemployment in the 5% area -fact.
The economic crisis ????
Another SOCIAL plan gone BAD.
FACTS :
1938 --FDR --created Fannie mae -The NEW DEAL.
1968 -- LBJ --Privatized Fannie mae -Created gov GSE'S
1977 ---Carter---created the Community Re-investment ACT
1997 ---Clinton--Repealed the "Glass/Steagle" bill on banking ---set freddie mac and fannie mae "free" --easing credit reqirements on "RISKY LOANS" --Created Subprime mortgages and encouraged fannie and freddie to purchase them -GSE'S jumped off the rails -opened up for wall street --gov backed corruption !

These risky loans were begun to get more minorities into home ownership -at any cost.
Accuse the right of alot of things --but please --social liberal plans ???

If the lousy healthcare plan is pushed through --when it fails --ten years from now --it will be the "republican's "fault ???? If not honesty --how about a little reality ??
This disaster was in the works for over 60 years --- Bush's fault ?????

island1fox

:wink2:
I am so tired of people blaming everyone but themselves for their failures.
Accept Personal Responsability.
Case in point ----After one full year in office --the most powerful man in the world --has said --with a straight face --"Brown was swept into office the same way I was swept into office -the people are unhappy with George Bush" ????? He really believes we are stupid !!!!

Va, NJ and now Mass ---As I heard from a Senator --who happens to be a Democrat ----If the Dems have not woken up now --they never will.
With Obama's recent "Town hall meeting" He is in serious denial !!!!:sad-little:

I will listen closely to the State of the Union address--if he speaks about how "transparent " he has been --and there have been no "special Interests" groups ----I will just "click" him off for the next three years -- I also believe the vast majority of Independents will do the same !!!:angry:
Also -see above post --Time for a major investigation to what exactly happened and who was responsible. I could care less what politicians,bankers,mortgage providers,people who lied on their credit applications or wall street people would go to jail----bet we will never see it---can anyone say coverup ---with the Dems in total power --it is obvious.

diesel96

:wink2:
I am so tired of people blaming everyone but themselves for their failures.
Accept Personal Responsability.
Case in point ----After one full year in office --the most powerful man in the world --has said --with a straight face --"Brown was swept into office the same way I was swept into office -the people are unhappy with George Bush" ????? He really believes we are stupid !!!!

Va, NJ and now Mass ---As I heard from a Senator --who happens to be a Democrat ----If the Dems have not woken up now --they never will.
With Obama's recent "Town hall meeting" He is in serious denial !!!!:sad-little:

I will listen closely to the State of the Union address--if he speaks about how "transparent " he has been --and there have been no "special Interests" groups ----I will just "click" him off for the next three years -- I also believe the vast majority of Independents will do the same !!!:angry:
Also -see above post --Time for a major investigation to what exactly happened and who was responsible. I could care less what politicians,bankers,mortgage providers,people who lied on their credit applications or wall street people would go to jail----bet we will never see it---can anyone say coverup ---with the Dems in total power --it is obvious.

You feel better now you got that all off your chest ?

https://web.archive.org/web/2013112...ions-2008/who_caused_the_economic_crisis.html

Now lets get the real facts.."In fact, there’s ample blame to go around. Experts have cited everyone from home buyers to Wall Street, mortgage brokers to Alan Greenspan."

The Real Deal

So who is to blame? There's plenty of blame to go around, and it doesn't fasten only on one party or even mainly on what Washington did or didn't do. As The Economist magazine noted recently, the problem is one of "layered irresponsibility ... with hard-working homeowners and billionaire villains each playing a role." Here's a partial list of those alleged to be at fault:

• The Federal Reserve, which slashed interest rates after the dot-com bubble burst, making credit cheap.
  • Home buyers, who took advantage of easy credit to bid up the prices of homes excessively.
  • Congress, which continues to support a mortgage tax deduction that gives consumers a tax incentive to buy more expensive houses.
  • Real estate agents, most of whom work for the sellers rather than the buyers and who earned higher commissions from selling more expensive homes.
  • The Clinton administration, which pushed for less stringent credit and downpayment requirements for working- and middle-class families.
  • Mortgage brokers, who offered less-credit-worthy home buyers subprime, adjustable rate loans with low initial payments, but exploding interest rates.
  • Former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, who in 2004, near the peak of the housing bubble, encouraged Americans to take out adjustable rate mortgages.
  • Wall Street firms, who paid too little attention to the quality of the risky loans that they bundled into Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS), and issued bonds using those securities as collateral.
  • The Bush administration, which failed to provide needed government oversight of the increasingly dicey mortgage-backed securities market.
  • An obscure accounting rule called mark-to-market, which can have the paradoxical result of making assets be worth less on paper than they are in reality during times of panic.
  • Collective delusion, or a belief on the part of all parties that home prices would keep rising forever, no matter how high or how fast they had already gone up.
The U.S. economy is enormously complicated. Screwing it up takes a great deal of cooperation. Claiming that a single piece of legislation was responsible for (or could have averted) the crisis is just political grandstanding. We have no advice to offer on how best to solve the financial crisis. But these sorts of partisan caricatures can only make the task more difficult.

–by Joe Miller and Brooks Jackson

purplesky

Democrats and Republicans are both to blame for this mess. This is not complicated at all folks. In a word its GLOBALIZATION and for us in the this country we are getting it in the rear. This economy has been shrinking for 30 years. Wages have been flat forever and the middle class continues to shrink. Now I could say that big business is in the pocket of the right but I wont. Because obviously all these idiots in Washington are bought and sold. We the people have let this happen. Both left and right. JUST REMEMBER THIS MESS HAS BEEN A 30 YEAR PROCESS. There is plenty of blame to go around. And by the way I am all for free trade but lets just make it fair. :wink2:

tieguy

Banned
diesel96;674665[COLOR=red said:
]Obama....[/COLOR]the days of offering tax cuts for the rich and conducting massive military spending at the same time...equates to massive "BORROWING". Where and how is your concern of paying it back ?

fixed it for ya diez:happy-very:

island1fox

You feel better now you got that all off your chest ?

https://web.archive.org/web/2013112...ions-2008/who_caused_the_economic_crisis.html

Now lets get the real facts.."In fact, there’s ample blame to go around. Experts have cited everyone from home buyers to Wall Street, mortgage brokers to Alan Greenspan."

The Real Deal​

So who is to blame? There's plenty of blame to go around, and it doesn't fasten only on one party or even mainly on what Washington did or didn't do. As The Economist magazine noted recently, the problem is one of "layered irresponsibility ... with hard-working homeowners and billionaire villains each playing a role." Here's a partial list of those alleged to be at fault:

• The Federal Reserve, which slashed interest rates after the dot-com bubble burst, making credit cheap.
  • Home buyers, who took advantage of easy credit to bid up the prices of homes excessively.
  • Congress, which continues to support a mortgage tax deduction that gives consumers a tax incentive to buy more expensive houses.
  • Real estate agents, most of whom work for the sellers rather than the buyers and who earned higher commissions from selling more expensive homes.
  • The Clinton administration, which pushed for less stringent credit and downpayment requirements for working- and middle-class families.
  • Mortgage brokers, who offered less-credit-worthy home buyers subprime, adjustable rate loans with low initial payments, but exploding interest rates.
  • Former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, who in 2004, near the peak of the housing bubble, encouraged Americans to take out adjustable rate mortgages.
  • Wall Street firms, who paid too little attention to the quality of the risky loans that they bundled into Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS), and issued bonds using those securities as collateral.
  • The Bush administration, which failed to provide needed government oversight of the increasingly dicey mortgage-backed securities market.
  • An obscure accounting rule called mark-to-market, which can have the paradoxical result of making assets be worth less on paper than they are in reality during times of panic.
  • Collective delusion, or a belief on the part of all parties that home prices would keep rising forever, no matter how high or how fast they had already gone up.
The U.S. economy is enormously complicated. Screwing it up takes a great deal of cooperation. Claiming that a single piece of legislation was responsible for (or could have averted) the crisis is just political grandstanding. We have no advice to offer on how best to solve the financial crisis. But these sorts of partisan caricatures can only make the task more difficult.

–by Joe Miller and Brooks Jackson

diesel,
It is sad.
On one hand you say how bad the right and Republicans are in helping minorities.
On the other hand when a liberal social plan goes wrong --people able to go into homes with risky loans --deregulated by Clinton --you cannot call it as it is --a good intentioned plan --that is a disaster.
The same with the OPEN AND TRANSPARENT -healthcare reform --back room deals , payoffs , bribes , special interests payoffs --nothing to do with Republicans --but you cannot see the trees while you are pissing on them in the forest.
You are so dug in left ---as I said --very sad. :sad-little:
A-special on TV --"House of Cards" -Highlited how many, many minorities lied on their mortgage applications --that no one checked they "lied" -bought homes they could not afford--no personal responsability !!!
No --before you say Fox --it was on that very right wing media outlet -CNBC---YES --it was bush's fault ??????????
Now Fannie and Freddie have a "blank check" from Obama --the next and coming crash --Bush's fault ?????

P.S. I imagine you would think that John Edwards is a stand up guy --Yeah I know --it is Bush's baby !!!

Last edited:

diesel96

diesel,
You are so dug in left ---as I said --very sad. :sad-little:

I try to give you the benefit of the doubt of not being a mark for the Republican Party for the last 3-4 decades, but your opinions reek of blaming one side, and one side only for our economic downturn....that's right, the liberals and Democrats for all the problems the US has encountered.
My previous post sheds a little more light, truth to power, and spreads the blame all around for you to accuse anyone of being "dug into the left".....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
1997 ---Clinton--Repealed the "Glass/Steagle" bill on banking ---set freddie mac and fannie mae "free" --easing credit reqirements on "RISKY LOANS" --Created Subprime mortgages and encouraged fannie and freddie to purchase them -GSE'S jumped off the rails -opened up for wall street --gov backed corruption !
You can actually thank Phil Gramm for that, though Clinton did sign it into law. Bi-partisanship at it's best. And it was 1999, not 1997.

island1fox

:peaceful:bbsam,
I was watching the football games yesterday and was a little distracted from BC. On a more serious tone --I do agree with some of what diesel has stated. There is enough blame to go around. I feel the politicians on both sides of the aisle are guilty and whatever the idiots touch turns to c---.
I did not list Acorn and Obama's role in the economic meldown --but suffice it to say enough blame to go around.
What gets me upset --even one year later President Obama cries about what he "inherited" from Bush.
Everyone knows this has been a very long process with many ,many hands in the disaster.
The President shoud stop his crying and "campaining" and work to fix it.
As most experts would agree --any person in a position of power --if you do not make real and significant progress on specific problems in your first one hundred days --you never will.
Most people I speak to --Dems, Reps and Ind. are tired of the teleprompter speechs.
The reality of it --the change Obama spoke about --just means bigger gov --and as stated earlier --the gov screws up everything they get involved in .:peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
So, on Weds. night I'm assuming the 'whining' will continue and that's why I won't listen to Barry make excuses for his accomplishing nothing in his first year. If I want to know what he said, I'll read the transcript the next day. He'll just be reading it one day earlier than me!!

I'll probably watch the Animal Planet or something interesting like the puppy-cams!