Average PT to FT progression where you live?

foreverPT?

I've been part time at UPS for 8.5 coming up on 9 years & there is no light at the end of the tunnel in sight to go full time. I know people who have 13+ years in part time & they get to cover from time to time but they have nothing concrete either.

I have no problem putting my time in & waiting my turn but i feel this is getting out of hand. I know there are places all over the country that have much faster progression than what is here in East Tennessee but i want to know what it is like where you live.

My girlfriend is a Physicians Assistant & we want to start our lives together but working a full time job during the day that takes up 9-10 hours plus working part time at UPS for 4-5 hours a day is not really conducive to getting married or starting a family.

We have talked about & are open to moving cities or even states to make full time happen sooner. She can get a job most anywhere due to her qualifications & i would like to stay working for UPS. I know transferring is usually only done for school & that can be taken care of. I am aware i lose my building seniority but keep my pay, benefits, & company seniority.

I am a worker. I am willing to take the hardest most unwanted route (feeder or package) just to start working full time & begin that stage of my life.

All that to say this: If you could let me know what you think the average progression is where you live or if you know of any driving positions hiring off the street that would be great so we could see where might be a place that we could possibly move to.

Thank you.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
What is your full time job? What education or skills do you have? Might be time to move on from ups.

9.5 everyday

It's all about timing. I was hired in 2007 to drive seasonal. I did a pretty respectable job and they offered me a driving position. The center manager knew of a spot opening and told me it would be about 4 months. I worked part time for 4 months, and qualified in May of 2008. A friend of mine started 2 weeks after me (2007), and it took him 4 years to get FT. He actually was top scale by the time he won a bid. I would have to say 8 years of PT is crazy. Either keep signing bid lists or move. Good luck.

BRWNEYEGENT

MATURE VETERAN
Hello. I have got hired thank God. I am due to start work on next week preload. Is there any pointers anyone can give me? Is there any good habits or routines that can help me better prepare for my new job career eventually? When does the work week begin and end.

I applied to have my check deposited in my own bank. If there is any other helpful information I can read or get from you all so I can be a better future UPSER New Mexico.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hello. I have got hired thank God. I am due to start work on next week preload. Is there any pointers anyone can give me? Is there any good habits or routines that can help me better prepare for my new job career eventually? When does the work week begin and end.

I applied to have my check deposited in my own bank. If there is any other helpful information I can read or get from you all so I can be a better future UPSER New Mexico.

Will I be able to work more during the upcoming holiday season regardless of seniority?

You kinda hijacked the OP's thread, there is a section at the top of the page for all new hires and FAQs but since you're here now just take your time to learn what they teach you and take it one day at a time. Things will come together for you.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Wow, 9+ years is a long time. It took me 4½ years to go full time. Other people at my center were walk ons which is bull:censored2:, and some others only had to preload for 6 months to a year before going full time

YouOver

Like most things in this world, it's not what you know, but who you know- and a few other things that have absolutely nothing to do with how hard you work.... There's guys in my building 20 years part time- they gave up trying at some point... Then you got guys that are drivers in a few months. Full time supervisors related to the DM. It is what it is. That's life in the good old US of A.
Go to HR and ask where exactly you are on the list. Know any managers in your building that are cool?(good luck with that).... They can make it happen too. I'd say bother the HR person every single day so they'll get you a spot just so you'll leave them alone- if you create work for people they'll do anything to make you go away- good luck.