Average Retirement Contribution

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Property taxes------zero.

Car insurance-----$60-70/month

Homeowners insurance-----$125/year (renter's policy)

Utilities---$100/month

Cable/internet----included in rent.

Vacations-----??

The first $40K of my pension is tax free in NY.

If you're in the area I think you're in (and I think you are), you're right on a lake, right? If so, do you know Matt, the Express manager there?

59 Dano

Matt married my former niece so, yeah, I know him.

No kidding?? His opening line to his crew when he arrived was something like, "I bet you think I'm waiting for my mom to pick me up from soccer practice" or something like that. Dude didn't look old enough to drive!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No kidding?? His opening line to his crew when he arrived was something like, "I bet you think I'm waiting for my mom to pick me up from soccer practice" or something like that. Dude didn't look old enough to drive!

Still doesn't.

I was worried that the boys would walk all over him but it turns out they really respect him.

BTW, he was quite the soccer player in school.

59 Dano

Still doesn't.

I was worried that the boys would walk all over him but it turns out they really respect him.

BTW, he was quite the soccer player in school.

His accent is funny, especially for that area. IIRC, he's from VA and is wife is from the NE. She got a job in that area and that's how he ended up there. Worked as a handler at UPS before Express.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

His accent is funny, especially for that area. IIRC, he's from VA and is wife is from the NE. She got a job in that area and that's how he ended up there. Worked as a handler at UPS before Express.

Without giving away too much personal information, she is from this area and went to school in Virginia to get away from her helicopter parents. That is where she met Matt. She was somehow able to convince him to move away from his family and relocate here. Ironically they live two houses down from her parents. She finished her degree, got a really good job and recently had a baby. Matt is doing really well at Express and I definitely see him moving up and also see them moving away. He worked as a handler while going to school in Virginia.

Oldfart

Without giving away too much personal information, she is from this area and went to school in Virginia to get away from her helicopter parents. That is where she met Matt. She was somehow able to convince him to move away from his family and relocate here. Ironically they live two houses down from her parents. She finished her degree, got a really good job and recently had a baby. Matt is doing really well at Express and I definitely see him moving up and also see them moving away. He worked as a handler while going to school in Virginia.
Glad you didn't reveal too much personal information.

TUT

I am as old as old gets. I am not sure 4k is even correct, might be a little low.

Be my guest. Do not invest in the 401k. That is everyone's choice. I will live comfortably and do whatever I want with nearly 100% of my working income during retirement. I don't want to survive, I want to thrive.

There has to be a word for people that keep discussing a scenario to a question never asked and at the same time always centering it around themselves, when it was about others in a different scenario than their own.

All my answers were directed to old timers at Fedex that didn't think much about their retirement. Not if they did the right/best things or not, but could they make it or not by not doing much. They'll make it, yes younger workers, best be thinking more about it, they don't have some of those old-school policies in place anymore.

But yes tell me about your scenario again... :) (Picture Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in a posture caring to hear about it)

vantexan

Actuallly, my birthday was in February. I'll let it slide that you didn't send me a gift; from my understanding, your finances are in quite the state!
Yeah, right, you're a precocious 17 year old. By the way I'm debt free, how about you? Oh that's right, you live off your parents. That's ok at 17, but you're more likely 37 and living in their basement.

Oldfart

There has to be a word for people that keep discussing a scenario to a question never asked and at the same time always centering it around themselves, when it was about others in a different scenario than their own.

All my answers were directed to old timers at Fedex that didn't think much about their retirement. Not if they did the right/best things or not, but could they make it or not by not doing much. They'll make it, yes younger workers, best be thinking more about it, they don't have some of those old-school policies in place anymore.

But yes tell me about your scenario again... :) (Picture Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in a posture caring to hear about it)
You stated that OLD TIMERS would bring in more than my 4k prediction. I simply stated that you are misinformed. I am as old as dirt and I simply corrected your misinformation. Someone might beat my pension and SS by $100 a month or so, not enough to make a big difference is your quality of life. If you can live on 50% on what you make now, then live on that now and save a bundle for retirement. If you make 50k, live on 25k and invest the rest after taxes. Retirement is the time you should enjoy your freedom, both financially and commitment wise. There are no "do overs" for financial security. If you do not save and prepare for life after you retire, you just might find yourself handing out shopping carts at Walmart when you are 80 years old.