BA Told Me I Can Not Do ANY Driving Jobs As Retired Feeder?

clean hairy

We had a retired driver who started a lawnmower repair business out of his garage. They found out and threatened to pull his pension.
What I heard happened many years ago was one started his own lawn care business and his pension was stopped.
They said since the mower had a steering wheel he was working in a driving job, driving a riding mower.

Shiftless

I get it why some retire and then go back
To work for various reasons. I chose to retire very young and stay away from doing any post retirement work if possible. Knock on wood almost 11 years later the plan is still intact.

For those who follow this thread and are unsure on what restrictions are in place to work after retirement should make sure what restrictions if any are followed in their specific area. It is best to get this info direct from your local or Regional Teamster's Office.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I get it why some retire and then go back
To work for various reasons. I chose to retire very young and stay away from doing any post retirement work if possible. Knock on wood almost 11 years later the plan is still intact.

For those who follow this thread and are unsure on what restrictions are in place to work after retirement should make sure what restrictions if any are followed in their specific area. It is best to get this info direct from your local or Regional Teamster's Office.
Most former employees retire because of the mental and physical abuse this company does to them. Also, while retired, able to receive a pension and then go out and find employment that you truly enjoy and a little extra bonus cash. Just being away from UPS changed my mindset tremendously. My spouse seen a big change in me after a few months away from UPS. To be able to do something you enjoy and not be treated like a piece of dirt or cattle is nice. If it doesn't work out, you can always walk away because you aren't tied down due to the income and insurance.

Shiftless

Best to check with your pension office if you are unsure of what retirement work rules you will have to live by once you walk out that bay door!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Most former employees retire because of the mental and physical abuse this company does to them. Also, while retired, able to receive a pension and then go out and find employment that you truly enjoy and a little extra bonus cash. Just being away from UPS changed my mindset tremendously. My spouse seen a big change in me after a few months away from UPS. To be able to do something you enjoy and not be treated like a piece of dirt or cattle is nice. If it doesn't work out, you can always walk away because you aren't tied down due to the income and insurance.
that is exactly what i want to do. however as more and more time goes by i am enjoying my freedom more and more. we like taking day trips and it is great not being tied down to a schedule.

i can also do some volunteer work on the side. i'm surprised how little money we need. we actually have a surplus almost every month even though the pension is about 30% of what i was making. we thought we would have to tap the 401k and IRA money but that has not happened yet.

maybe someday i will go back to work part time but right now we have a to=do or to-go list that is a mile long and grows every month.

Shiftless

I had to do very little to find what was required to retire when I checked it out 11 plus years ago. Altho I had sought out prior retiree's and asked what was their biggest challenge's to retire. The pension people sent me my info quickly. Altho of late, I have heard it has taken serious time to square up ones retirement plans with the pension office. Just a guess from me is that many driver's retiring now were hired after the 1974 Strike/Contract era when UPS went into all states delivery company. This must be jamming up the pipeline is my guess.

I was 49 years old when I last punched out. Using Vacation, Holiday and Sick leave I actually retired much later in that year. Why? In my area you had to be 50 years of age to get retirement health care. A lot of WTF"s were said to me by other employee's. Some knew, some were SHOCKED! I can't stress enough if your thinking about retirement? You should have started that process early on, its never to late to do so. If you haven't, you should make that short or long term plan NOW! Knowing the rules before you jump off the Big Brown Truck will make it a much smoother transition.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I had to do very little to find what was required to retire when I checked it out 11 plus years ago. Altho I had sought out prior retiree's and asked what was their biggest challenge's to retire. The pension people sent me my info quickly. Altho of late, I have heard it has taken serious time to square up ones retirement plans with the pension office. Just a guess from me is that many driver's retiring now were hired after the 1974 Strike/Contract era when UPS went into all states delivery company. This must be jamming up the pipeline is my guess.

I was 49 years old when I last punched out. Using Vacation, Holiday and Sick leave I actually retired much later in that year. Why? In my area you had to be 50 years of age to get retirement health care. A lot of WTF"s were said to me by other employee's. Some knew, some were SHOCKED! I can't stress enough if your thinking about retirement? You should have started that process early on, its never to late to do so. If you haven't, you should make that short or long term plan NOW! Knowing the rules before you jump off the Big Brown Truck will make it a much smoother transition.
so what have you been doing the last 11 years, if you don't mind.

Shiftless

ME? We Travel, Camp and now with Grandkid's we seem to baby sit????? I admit I dig it tho! Love it when I stretch out my arms and I can say to the kid's
"looks like it's your turn" and hand Mr. or Ms. poopie pants back!

I think if I had not had hobbies, retirement would have been a bad thing. I always have had them even when I worked. Mostly
I restore or bring back to life Old Motorcycles and Hot Rod's are my deepest hobbies. Helping my kid's work on their homes is another fun thing I enjoy doing.

I have no idea how I functioned before retirement? I have stayed busy, still don't know how I had time to go to work!
"STAY BUSY" is my motto. I say this because when I started at UPS the few that did retire, died within a frighteningly
short period after they retired. It seemed to me 1 to 2 years in the mid to late 70's and they were dead.

The one thing I saw as I aged with UPS is, those who stayed busy in retirement, LIVED!

ski or die

Ski or Die
Another nice thing about retirement is when a project needs to be done around the house you can take your time to complete it and do it right instead of only having the weekend to try and do it. Maybe 4 hours a day until its completed with no rush.

I also take my 6 grandchildren with us for a 10 day camping and boating trip every year. Been doing it for 19 years. Those kids have skipped trips to Florida just to go on their yearly camping trip.

My pension office said I could do any kind of work and any number of hours when I turn 70 1/2. Yeah, sure. Life is great, why ruin it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've posted before that I have the perfect retirement job. I work as a handi-man for my township. The ONLY requirement they have given me is that the township cemetery must be mowed and cleaned up during the week before Memorial Day. Other than that I come and go as I please and work when I want to or not work at all. I get $20 bucks an hour and have worked long enough to qualify for a small State Pension (small being the key word here). One of the best perks is that any time I feel like leaving the house all I have to do is tell the Misses that I have to do something at the Hall. It nice to have a legitimate excuse other than "I'm bored and want to get away for awhile"---------------and nothing says I can't stop for a few "after putting in a hard half hour at work. Yes I realize I'm not fooling her one bit (we have been married almost 45 years).

twoweeled

We had a retired driver who started a lawnmower repair business out of his garage. They found out and threatened to pull his pension.
Let me take a wild guess at how they found out? Feeder drivers haven't changed much, have they? Tell a graph,
Tell a phone, tell a feeder?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
He made no attempt to hide the fact. He thought he was safe...yeah, feeder drivers do network. Went to a retired feeder driver get together a couple of months ago. There were over 30 of us there. about 90% attendance. A couple couldn't be found. Higher percentage than a union meeting. lol.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
He made no attempt to hide the fact. He thought he was safe...yeah, feeder drivers do network. Went to a retired feeder driver get together a couple of months ago. There were over 30 of us there. about 90% attendance. A couple couldn't be found. Higher percentage than a union meeting. lol.
what does lawnmower repair do with trucke driving? there are teamster lawnmower repairers paying dues?