Background Check - Brokerage

KentuckyNative

I recently applied for a raters position at UPS and got a job offer the other day. I accepted. I'm probably overthinking as this job doesn't entail driving. But, would a DUI from five years (it'll be five years late October) ago make them unable to give me the job. The offer is contingent on a background check.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I recently applied for a raters position at UPS and got a job offer the other day. I accepted. I'm probably overthinking as this job doesn't entail driving. But, would a DUI from five years (it'll be five years late October) ago make them unable to give me the job. The offer is contingent on a background check.
Probably not as long as you put that on your application or told them about it during your interview(s), if they asked.

Background check will include criminal (your concern), school records, work references including the dates.

I would think Brokerage would be more interested in anything related to dishonesty.

Good luck!

KentuckyNative

Probably not as long as you put that on your application or told them about it during your interview(s), if they asked.

Background check will include criminal (your concern), school records, work references including the dates.

I would think Brokerage would be more interested in anything related to dishonesty.

Good luck!

Thanks Jingle! I appreciate it. Should be good to go. They didn't have anything on the application about whether or not I had ever been arrested.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
20180516_173336.jpg

KentuckyNative

I think I'm in the clear. After HR called me yesterday morning for my social security number, I logged into my profile later that day (like 5 p.m.), I had a bunch more forms to fill out including my direct deposit. Guess I'm good to go. I'm a paranoid fella over my stupid mistake I made five years ago.

bumped

If you get the job stay on this site. I'd like to know when a brokerage fee is added and when it is not. No one seems to know in this company. I've had sales people tell me that brokerage fees are not added to next day air or next day air savers but that's not correct.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you get the job stay on this site. I'd like to know when a brokerage fee is added and when it is not. No one seems to know in this company. I've had sales people tell me that brokerage fees are not added to next day air or next day air savers but that's not correct.
Brokerage fees are for international shipments. It’s the customs clearance fee

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I get that. Why are they applied to some packages and not others. How does a person who is shipping a package know if a brokerage fee is applied?
All depends on whether or not the shipper chooses to pay it or not. It could also come down to whether they choose UPS as their brokerage agent or not.

bumped

All depends on whether or not the shipper chooses to pay it or not. It could also come down to whether they choose UPS as their brokerage agent or not.

When one ships online internationally there is no indication if brokerage fees apply. There isn't a line in the fees for brokerage fee when shipping.

UPSBD

Supa Star
Brokerage fees are indeed included in all air international shipments. The charges that the shipper is most likely referring to are duties and taxes. These are assessed by the customs agency of the country the goods are shipped to. These charges will vary significantly based on destination country and the goods. This all gets quite complicated. There are some services customers can use to estimate these charges, some free and some that are fee-based but very comprehensive but know that these charges are not from UPS. Shippers can and often do elect to have duties and taxes billed to the end customer.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Brokerage fees are indeed included in all air international shipments. The charges that the shipper is most likely referring to are duties and taxes. These are assessed by the customs agency of the country the goods are shipped to. These charges will vary significantly based on destination country and the goods. This all gets quite complicated. There are some services customers can use to estimate these charges, some free and some that are fee-based but very comprehensive but know that these charges are not from UPS. Shippers can and often do elect to have duties and taxes billed to the end customer.
They aren’t on all shipments. Some shippers utilize other brokerage agencies. And we clear shipments from other carriers.

bagpipes

Are you a current employee? If so, how many rater jobs do you see posted on MCO typically? Make sure you don’t have anything else that would disqualify you, and odds are you should be ok.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
What is a "rater"?
In all my years I've never heard of it.
I have ... in the LTL industry.
A rater has to keep up with the spot market rates, load availability so that when a customer calls in for a rate, their company can be competitive and use available space availability in FTL, LTL cross docking capacity, etc.