Backup Feeder Drivers

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Do backup Feeder Drivers (normally full-time package) in an extended center have the right to do extra CPU/delivery work in their center (if the regular Feeder Driver doesn't have enough DOT hours left) over Feeder Drivers from another building? In our local Feeder Drivers aren't supposed to be able to do CPU work in other buildings but that's a battle us little guys keep losing. What I want to know is how that scenario is handled in other areas.
Depends on what building you are talking about. I'm not sure the exact way to word it, but let's say I have three buildings in my area, we all bid on the same runs. So if someone from another building in my area has more seniority over me then yes they can take the extra work over me. So if you are from WC and someone is out of Massman I would assume you all on the same bid, so yea he would take it over you.

Overpaid Union Thug

Depends on what building you are talking about. I'm not sure the exact way to word it, but let's say I have three buildings in my area, we all bid on the same runs. So if someone from another building in my area has more seniority over me then yes they can take the extra work over me. So if you are from WC and someone is out of Massman I would assume you all on the same bid, so yea he would take it over you.

I'm not in either of those buildings but can tell you that they aren't on the same seniority list. They should be though. Along with any other building that is getting screwed out of their own work. If an extended center doesn't ever get an opportunity to do CPU feeder work in their area, or any of the regular Feeder work, then they should be able to bid into the building that gets it. But the best way is to bid all full-time jobs locally and have one seniority list for the whole local to avoid problems/jelousy pertaining to company seniority when a new/vacant Feeder position goes up.

I understand what you said though. And that's how it COULD work if our local (and the company) would come to their senses. I hear that allot of areas are wanting to (or have already started to) run all Feeder work out of the hubs. And not just CPU work. I see it slowly happening here. If that is the end goal then I guess us lowly extended center folks in 480 can kiss feeders good bye.

Last edited:

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm not in either of those buildings but can tell you that they aren't on the same seniority list. They should be though. Along with any other building that is getting screwed out of their own work. If an extended center doesn't ever get an opportunity to do CPU feeder work in their area, or any of the regular Feeder work, then they should be able to bid into the building that gets it. But the best way is to bid all full-time jobs locally and have one seniority list for the whole local to avoid problems/jelousy pertaining to company seniority when a new/vacant Feeder position goes up.

I understand what you said though. And that's how it COULD work if our local (and the company) would come to their senses. I hear that allot of areas are wanting to (or have already started to) run all Feeder work out of the hubs. And not just CPU work. I see it slowly happening here. If that is the end goal then I guess us lowly extended center folks in 480 can kiss feeders good bye.
I agree, it def should be that way. We have three buildings that we all bid off the same list. We are able to bounce from building to building. That would suck to be stuck at one of the two smaller buildings not being able to move anywhere for years and years, I love the fact we can bid around and we are all the same work force.

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree, it def should be that way. We have three buildings that we all bid off the same list. We are able to bounce from building to building. That would suck to be stuck at one of the two smaller buildings not being able to move anywhere for years and years, I love the fact we can bid around and we are all the same work force.
They do that elsewhere in my state. The problem isn't just being stuck. It's that some of us have work available and they give it to the hub with no recourse. But if the reverse happens it's squashed very quickly. Do you guys bid package building to building too? That's the only fair way without certain issues arising. Mainly that it takes less time to go full-time package in the smaller buildings so hub people would get passed up for feeders by the extended centers package drivers even though they have more company seniority. Bidding all full-time jobs locally would eliminate that problem.

Last edited:

Fragile

We don't have feeder cover drivers, you're either in feeder or not. Definitely not driving a package car and a tractor on the same day that's just dangerous.

barnyard

KTM rider
We don't have feeder cover drivers, you're either in feeder or not. Definitely not driving a package car and a tractor on the same day that's just dangerous.

You must be in a larger building. My building has 3 guys on the extra board. This week, I worked 3 days in package and am covering a run this evening. I might work 1 more week in feeders, maybe another couple of days, but other than that, it will be a package job for me.