Be careful what you post

fethrs

If you register with upsers.com, they have your computer's address. They can track a lot of things with that. Why people post on Facebook, when we are all too aware of the dark side of it, is beyond me. Facebook is a very dangerous addiction that some people have. Of course, if I did use Facebook, I can only imagine how often I would be in the office. A lot more than I ever was, I am sure of that!! Friday night drunk posting how psyco susie did this or that! Damn mechanic was too busy sniffing paint to fix my seat, again!! That OMS needs to have her cell surgically removed from her hand, so she will stop fighting with her boyfriend and answer the damn phone!! Thank, God, I don't use facebook. LOL!! "Them Sons-a-bitches" as one of my co-workers would say!!! LOL!!

It's not the site that's the problem it's what you post on the site that gets people in trouble.
Some folks just don't think before they post.
It's no different from posting on bc.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not true. No matter how stupid the comment on here, UPS isn't actually using these posts. Feel how you will about the poster, but the only person I have heard of being pulled into the Office is STUG. His center manager must not have a life.

menotyou

bella amicizia
All right, that came out wrong. My point is Facebook is dangerous. JMO. There are a lot of people, me included, who could work on their posting sense.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm not a lawyer, but my advice is to never post personally identifiable information anywhere. That includes this site and every other site on the internet... I have a facebook acccount that I do use but I'm so paranoid about fb that I don't list my info (relatives etc.) or post anything personal there.

Social media emerges as battleground for protected speech at work - Chicago Tribune

Administrative Law Judge finds New York nonprofit unlawfully discharged employees following Facebook posts - NLRB

The National Labor Relations Board’s Acting General Counsel report detailing the outcome of investigations into 14 cases

FACEBOOK FIRED: 8% of US Companies Have Sacked Social Media Miscreants - Mashable

UPSGUY72

In our HUB we just had a young man pulled in the office for posting something on his facebook page about his pay check at UPS. He was told that he would be let go if he ever posted anything about UPS again. The bad thing is the union has done nothing about this issue at all. The area BA was told about this was going to happen time and time again by 2 ex-stewards who would fight and place their butts on the line everyday for people they did not know. Now those stewards are no longer helping the employees with update information about how to fight these kinds of issues. These two ex-stewards would talk to the BA's about building a web-site for the local, but were told buy BA the only thing he needed was his paper note book and he was not going to learn how to use a computer. I did not see this as so and told the the two stewards this. Well I found out the hard way. I placed my faith in a steward who did not know his butt from a hole in the ground. Lets just say Im full time and these two ex-stewards are part-time. So I heard they were not going to be stewards anymore I did go to one of them and tell them how sorry I was and needed to help. The one I went to had not resigned at that time yet. They just smailed at me stated it is ok sometimes you have to find out for yourself but I will help you. They did and 1 hour later the Supervisor came and stated he was sorry all the info was not given to him. This ex-steward did take the time to investigate the info and get the correct info from back cases and from other wed sites and the info saved me from a lot of hard tiimes. I know this has nothing to so with the young man who posted stuff, but this may not have happen if the young man had the tools to fight and not feel like he could not talk to others about this. I did talk to the ex-steward about this issue and they stated how is posting on his facebook page any differant then the driver or a UPS employee interviewed in the New York Times about safey and pay issues. I just wanted others who I know post here and they are from my building. You have lost two great stewards who are very well educated, not just about the Union, but in their personal lives as well. I would like to say the two ex-stewards thank you for all the hard work you did for over 10 years and you will be missed. I know many of the full time feeders and packages drivers are very upset that you are no longer there for the employees, but they understand you had no backing from the local union. I was amazed to find out what these two ex-stewards do in at there fulltime jobs. Lets just say they are truly very intelligent. You will be missed and I have a feeling if the young man had you there this would not have go on the way it did. You think of the issues before they happen and tried to plan ahead with our BA's two years ago but they did not listen to your wisdom. Now, everyone in our HUB is fearful to come here or facebook to post anything at all. You will be missed more then you know. I know at times you felt you felt on one cared about what you had to do, but one thing I know many of us did was stand outside those doors and listen to what was stated so just in case you needed us to help you as a witness. Yes we did do this for you and you did not know until it was to let. That is why we now must stand up in our HUB and take it back and let you know we have your back. We should have told you this a long time ago. WE should have listen to you. We wanted you to run for the BA this fall but we did not let you know this until it was too late, for this we are sorry and I'm speaking for many when I say this. We did not know what we had until it was gone, if any way possible that you will come back we will do anything to help, this is not coming from the part timers, this is coming from the full timers, all of us. Will you come back? If not we understand, ex-stewards I know you post here and will read this so please think about it. We are feed up and we want you back, but i know it is too late. One reason for this posting is to SAY THANK U, and we do mean this. WE heard you and now we are the ones that must step into the door you left wide open for us to fight and we are going to and so take a load off ex-stewards, if you don't come back we have two feet and you can rest now. THANK YOU FOR SO MUCH, "IT IS NOT ABOUT FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME IS IS ABOUT THE TEATMENT OF ONE THAT SHOWS HOW ALL WILL BE TREATED IF YOU DON'T STAND AND BE HEARD." by one of the ex-stward. Words for all us to live by at UPS. Please forgive any misspelling typing from my phone.

It was more than something about his pay check. I would bet he used names, locations, and what he said about the people he named wasn't nice. People get fired all the time for posting stupid stuff on there Facebook page for everyone to see, you here about it all the time in the news.

This situation reminds me of the phrase, "give someone enough rope and they'll hang themselves".

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
totally agree with Cheryl. Its Ok to post your opinions and feeling,my rule of theumb, is , If I would say it to the person, then its OK. but never pertinent info. ON FB and Here you can unse Pms, if it is someone you know, and trust, but if you dont have solid relations with them, I would not even do that. To ask for advice as I have done with many members, has never hurt me. To reach out to someone and give them support, cool too. To plot to kill someone, or wish them dark devious happenings, probaly not.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I bitch about the job on my FB page all the time, and 2 of my Sup's are my fB friends and nobody cares. Maybe I would get in trouble if one of the derogatory statements I made weren't true.

C

chuchu

At that point ment, it means a steward can be there as a witness to what is being said, and possibly working out a settlement. But there is no language for the steward to base a defense on. This is a legal matter as slander or libel is a civil issue.

The steward would have no options if this was the avenue the company chose to follow.

The steward then becomes a witness to the meeting.

Peace.
Wrong. Article 37 fits just fine. The company, when bringing an employee into the office ON THE CLOCK is making it a labor issue, not a civil issue. If they wanted to make it a civil issue the employee would receive a certified letter in the mail, sent to his house, not on company time from a lawyer representing the company. This is a case of harrassment to shut the employee up. If they had a valid issue they would've taken him out of service on the spot (unless I missed that happening in the original post) listing Art. 17 as the contract violatiion. In the case of a civil issue, the employee doesn't even have to answer the management on any question until his attorney is present.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wrong. Article 37 fits just fine. The company, when bringing an employee into the office ON THE CLOCK is making it a labor issue, not a civil issue. If they wanted to make it a civil issue the employee would receive a certified letter in the mail, sent to his house, not on company time from a lawyer representing the company. This is a case of harrassment to shut the employee up. If they had a valid issue they would've taken him out of service on the spot (unless I missed that happening in the original post) listing Art. 17 as the contract violatiion. In the case of a civil issue, the employee doesn't even have to answer the management on any question until his attorney is present.

O, the glory of junkyard lawyers. We got plenty of them.

Peace.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I believe UPS should harness this new deductive power of conclusions and figure out what customers want instead of giving them what UPS wants.

C

chuchu

I believe UPS should harness this new deductive power of conclusions and figure out what customers want instead of giving them what UPS wants.
That might cost the company money. What is good for todays corporations normally isn't in the best interests of the consumer or the employee. Just check out the junk merchandise from China on Walmart's shelves that used to only be "made in the USA". Our business plan and PAS decisions are modeled by the management that won't even make "marketing calls" to see how the customers feel about their delivery times when they do an OJS ride. When was the last time we heard the CSI (customer satisfaction index-remember that?) for our center or division? I keep hearing..."Just be glad you have a job". The company had be equally thankful they have bid drivers that care about the CSI of their on-area customers or the future would look awful scary.

LagunaBrown

Am I missing something here? An IP address only shows your device, the burden of proof is upon "them" to physically link it to you.... Technically it could be anyone around that device or in your home unless you actually admit to doing the act. One time a couple guys at the bar though it would be funny to post comments on a friends phone using FB and saying she was kidnapped in a trunk headed to Mexico. Not such a good idea when people start calling 911. My point is I have seen GPS and Aux reports ( bulkhead door seat belts ect...) off telematics as well as this IP nonsense that is nowhere near correct but people are getting all paranoid when it comes to technology like it is hard evidence. It sounds like a bunch of fishing experiments to me (whomever I may really be). The bottom line is just have some class and you shouldn't have to worry about it anyway.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As I told TOS, I asked my father his opinion on this subject. He says the company has a right to question the employee about the situation to determine the cause. Just from the standpoint of demoralize the crew. The union has a right and a duty to be there to determine if the have 'a dog in the fight'. If the employee is being slanderous and/or somehow acting in an illegal manner, the union do not have a 'dog in there'. There has to be a contractual reason for the union to be there.

DDB

Those are two completely different scenarios, but both carry consequences. Lets make an example. ( this is only an example!)

I go on facebook and post a story where I call * (my supervisor) a bumbling idiot. I go on to say he is stealing from UPS and giving false information to customers. I post his name, center and region. UPS then finds out and calls me into the office.

UPS and * would have the right to SUE me for slander and libelist claims. On a public forum, we cannot name names, or post contact info on a person working at UPS no matter how true it may be. Depending on your state laws, this is illegal.

You cant make claims without proof.

In the case of this thread, we dont know what was posted, but we do know the company took offense to it and terminated an employee. If the post on facebook was benign, or harmless as it did not contain UPS information (like copies of reports, names, identifiers) then there shouldnt have been a problem.

In most cases, people who bash on their employers name names, or make charges in the public domain. For the most part, we do the same here, but we dont name names or give locations.

If you speak to a newspaper and you make similiar claims, two things have to happen, first, you have to go on the record with the claims, that puts the liability on YOU, second, the paper should validate your claims before they print it, cause if they dont, and it makes print and you name names or make charges that cant be proven, then your up a creek without a paddle.

The Teamsters are not responsible for our actions in our off time. They have no obligation to stand up for us when we do something wrong in our personal time.

Indeed, they need to be in the meeting and listen, but at that point, they are limited to being a witness to the meeting, facts and outcome.

People should understand that putting something on facebook is a dangerous action if you are giving out UPS information. Reports and such are proprietary and WE dont have a right to release that information in the public , no matter what the concern is.

For example, we work long hours. If someone copied a WOR report and posted it on facebook, that person would be discharged for Stealing. The information contained in the WOR report is proprietary and protected company information. We have NO RIGHT to release this information to the pubic.

You can be sued and prosecuted for this, depending on your local laws.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

peace.

I understand what you are saying if someone making up things to say, but I'm stating is the young man in Question did not post anything but about pay issues and safety. I read the psot before he took it down. So there coudl nto be any difference between the three, but I understand tour point completely and thank for taking the time to post back.

Am I missing something here? An IP address only shows your device, the burden of proof is upon "them" to physically link it to you.... Technically it could be anyone around that device or in your home unless you actually admit to doing the act. One time a couple guys at the bar though it would be funny to post comments on a friends phone using FB and saying she was kidnapped in a trunk headed to Mexico. Not such a good idea when people start calling 911. My point is I have seen GPS and Aux reports ( bulkhead door seat belts ect...) off telematics as well as this IP nonsense that is nowhere near correct but people are getting all paranoid when it comes to technology like it is hard evidence. It sounds like a bunch of fishing experiments to me (whomever I may really be). The bottom line is just have some class and you shouldn't have to worry about it anyway.

Absolutely right! Any one could be posting on my computer. I LOVE UPS (that was me). Klein is a dork (that was my 9 year old). Don`t get mad Klein. I`ll make him stand in the corner for that.