Be careful who you give your cell phone number

sano

The point about using personal minutes would have held more water 5-10 years ago. I remember having a plan that cost .30 per minute in the nineties. Today though if you already have a cell phone, and most of us do, the few added minutes you may use a month with customers or UPS are so cheap that they are basically insignificant.

over9five

Staff member
New question

OK, let's take this to a new level:

Is finding the drivers number in the dealers phone, and the arrest of the driver, enough for UPS to insist on a drug test?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: New question

Is finding the drivers number in the dealers phone, and the arrest of the driver, enough for UPS to insist on a drug test?

My first thought is that the driver's involvement had nothing to do with actually doing drugs but perhaps he was making a buck on the side by working with the dealer. I do hope he has a good lawyer.

Tiny Panda

The point about using personal minutes would have held more water 5-10 years ago. I remember having a plan that cost .30 per minute in the nineties. Today though if you already have a cell phone, and most of us do, the few added minutes you may use a month with customers or UPS are so cheap that they are basically insignificant.

Exactly, i get 1200 free mins a month, i maybe use 300 max for personal use so it doesnt cost me anything.

We have stupid cut off times where i am, like 10am which is next to useless for anyone wanting to ship anything so those customers in that area give me a ring and head into town to meet me once their pkg is ready.

jennie

I know a lot of the drivers from where I am working give their numbers to people they deliver too, is that normal? Anyway, two of my g/friend's who get packasges A LOT (on line shoppers) sometimes miss the guy, call, then meet him in town where he is delivering to get their stuff, is that normal?

What'dyabringmetoday???

My first thought is that the driver's involvement had nothing to do with actually doing drugs but perhaps he was making a buck on the side by working with the dealer. I do hope he has a good lawyer.
Perhaps the driver was innocent and had no knowledge of drugs. This is exactly why drivers should not be using their personal phones for UPS business. Personally, I think that the company ran a lot more smoothly before cell phones came into existence. Now you have supervisors trying to get cover drivers through the day by calling each other on the cell phones all day long.
If any of this information is true that the original poster has discussed, I hope the driver is in fact innocent and comes out of this all right.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Absolutely not. A drug dealer having your phone number does not fit the reasonable cause definition.

He must be observed by 2 members of management, slurring speech, blood shot eyes, smelling like alcohol/drugs etc the list goes on, but having a cell phone number is not one of the criteria.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
but overall to foster a good working relationship with the customer. A customer who calls you and tells you he is not shipping anything today

You can have a good working relationship without giving them your cell number. The last thing I want is a customer wanting to meet me out on the road or calling me about a shipment they are expecting (who cares? I don't).

You're treading uncharted waters taking a customers word if he is not shipping. I'm not taking that chance, I want to see for sure.

If I don't recognize the caller,I'm not answering.

tieguy

Banned

Perhaps the driver was innocent and had no knowledge of drugs.
the more I think about it the more I think the driver is involved. First drug sting I've seen where the police did not involve our security folks. I think they think the driver is on the pushers payroll. Make sense. If you're going to ship drugs then you want to have the ups driver in your back pocket.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Tie made a lot of good points. I also use mine to find bad addresses if a phone number is on the label. I keep these conversations very brief, I use few of my minutes.

Right. When I was a helper in Denver, I had a package for an apartment. I rang the bell and waited. Nothing. I glanced at the label and we'd tried it twice before, so it was going back to sender. I started to leave the building, cell in hand and called the phone number on the label as I went down the steps to the street and the package car. Turns out it was a college student who'd gone home (Missouri, I think) for the holidays. She almost burst into tears when I told her it was going back to sender because we'd tried it so many times. She asked if we could hold it or drop it at a friend's house. I let my driver make that call. He futured it after speaking to the customer. Three minutes of my cell plan for a happy customer was well worth it. Last thing she told me before we disconnected was, "This is why I use UPS. Your service is a cut above anyone else's. Happy holidays!!" -Rocky

SuperSup

Absolutely not. A drug dealer having your phone number does not fit the reasonable cause definition.

He must be observed by 2 members of management, slurring speech, blood shot eyes, smelling like alcohol/drugs etc the list goes on, but having a cell phone number is not one of the criteria.

Never thought I'd see the day that I agree with Red, but he's dead on accurate in this case.