Become a UPS driver or sheriff deputy in Los Angeles

delta88

I've been working part time as a package handler for about 8 years and should be making a transition to becoming a UPS driver at any time but at the same time I went through the LA county sheriff trainee selection process for past one year and just received a call from the sheriff's department that I passed the selection process and that my 5 months training at the sheriff's academy starts on September to become a sheriff deputy. I really want to do both but I have to choose one as my life time career and give up the other forever. It's very hard decision to make. Any advice or opinions?

km3

If my life situation was a little different, I'd be trying to get into law enforcement or fire fighting right now. In your position, I'd start training to become a deputy. But you have to figure out what's best for you. Good luck either way.

Box Ox

The possibility of having a shot back and knees versus actually being shot at would be an important consideration for me. That, and wearing a uniform that makes me generally loved by most vs loved by most but a possible target for a few.

But you're probably braver than I am. For me it'd probably have to pay more than being a driver does.

If I were a part timer and it was between UPS Management and sheriff's deputy, I'd hands down go for SD every time.

Re-Raise

CA pays big, but sooner or later, it's going to hit the fan with all their debt.
Why you steal my avatar ?!?!?

Arrest Wally OP!!

Edit: It looks like your old avatar on my phone now. Nevermind I guess. It must be my pain meds

Last edited:

Johney

Sheriff. Got a buddy who works county around here, he's been there not quite as long as I've been at UPS but he makes almost as much as I do and his pension blows mine away. He will be retired before me too amazing.

Nike

This is actually a pretty hard question as 8 years is a long time! You should write a list out of things you like about both jobs, assuming you go to package cars. Both jobs could pay out a lot but the sheriff job probably allows for more growth and the possibility to move to different things. However you will probably start out making more as a driver O think.
Do whatever you can to get the training but mainatin ups emplyment as you might be able to carry that over somewhere else should you decide to move/leave

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been working part time as a package handler for about 8 years and should be making a transition to becoming a UPS driver at any time but at the same time I went through the LA county sheriff trainee selection process for past one year and just received a call from the sheriff's department that I passed the selection process and that my 5 months training at the sheriff's academy starts on September to become a sheriff deputy. I really want to do both but I have to choose one as my life time career and give up the other forever. It's very hard decision to make. Any advice or opinions?
What if you pass on the sheriff deputy job and then don't make it as a driver? Tough decision....good luck.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
package driving is pretty much the same everyday.

being a sheriff would be different everyday. lot more challenging , room for advancement , and an occasional adrenaline rush. this would be my choice.

good luck.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Take two blank sheets of paper.....

Write down every pro and con you can think of for both jobs. Make the best decision for you , at this time, and never look back. Good luck.

barnyard

KTM rider
A couple of cousins of mine went the LA country sheriff's route. They did that because after 3 years, they could go to almost any department in the country and be hired.

1 is now a deputy in a NE Wisconsin county and the other is a Wisconsin Highway patrolman. Another cousin was a cop in Phoenix for 5 years. He is now a cop in a very small Wisconsin city.

All of them say that the decision to do the huge metro area was the best career move they could have made.

Last edited: