Become a UPS driver or sheriff deputy in Los Angeles

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I'm not sure if I could handle picking up brain matter at a crime scene... I'll stick to picking up cardboard.
Had a boss who was a desk jockey most of his career show up at a scene I was perimeter security on start screaming at people that they shouldn't throw their chewing gum on the ground at crime scenes.

Someone pointed out it was brain matter

Didn't see him for a week

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Before UPS I was pursuing a career in law enforcement. Ultimately I decided I didn't want to deal with the worst of humanity on a daily basis. I decided I just wanted big bucks and some prestige so I went after this instead.

For the most part folks are happy when I show up, and I don't have to worry about someone trying to kill me.

Different strokes, good luck though.
But aren't you still dealing with the worst of humanity or a close facsimile of it, in a daily basis

BrownThunder

But aren't you still dealing with the worst of humanity or a close facsimile of it, in a daily basis

Not even close.
While I was in college I had professors who were current and former police officers/detectives/deputies/ADAs and the stories we heard made it clear what kind of experiences we would likely encounter in the job.

As a driver, what do we encounter that's so bad? A receiving clerk who's got a bad attitude? I am very professional on road so I can usually make good of every situation so it's never a big deal.

The majority of the stress I encounter as a driver comes from preload not having our truck loaded which holds us up in the AM, Dispatch's bright ideas, and management running you around after you're almost done with your run.

At no point am I worried about the possibility of taking a life to protect mine or the life of another's.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not even close.
While I was in college I had professors who were current and former police officers/detectives/deputies/ADAs and the stories we heard made it clear what kind of experiences we would likely encounter in the job.

As a driver, what do we encounter that's so bad? A receiving clerk who's got a bad attitude? I am very professional on road so I can usually make good of every situation so it's never a big deal.

The majority of the stress I encounter as a driver comes from preload not having our truck loaded which holds us up in the AM, Dispatch's bright ideas, and management running you around after you're almost done with your run.

At no point am I worried about the possibility of taking a life to protect mine or the life of another's.
Sorry the joke went right over your head

fuqboi

I'm sort of in a similar position as OP, except that I wear purple. Being a cop was my goal for a while, but it gradually became less and less appealing to me and now I really don't like the idea of being disliked by a lot of people just because of the uniform. Some of the PD applications that I put in before starting at X are picking up and eventually I may have to make a decision.