Becoming a BA Working for the Union

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
How exactly does one get started into holding a full-time position in a Union office?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How exactly does one get started into holding a full-time position in a Union office?

You attend your monthly membership meetings to learn how the local operates.

You find out when your elections are. You get nominated to run on a slate for office.

You campaign to beat the incumbents.

I don’t know how you get nominated, but around here, that’s an elected position. I assume that it is everywhere.

Some local actually hire their BA's, they are not elected.

Gimme Danger

Find out if your local has elected or appointed BAs. Find out if your local has elected or appointed stewards. Get involved in your local. Do a good job as an active member, as a steward. Show up to every picket line, union meeting and union event that you can. Make a name for yourself.
Either get along with your current local leadership in hope of proving you can do the job (if you agree with the job they do). Or run for office (E board or BA), preferably with a slate to maximize your ability to win. Run a positive campaign on how you can do a better job for the members.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I don’t know how you get nominated, but around here, that’s an elected position. I assume that it is everywhere.

Some Locals have appointed BA positions, usually the large ones. The smaller Locals usually have a BA position attached to an elected position(ie. President, Secretary/Treasurer, etc). The Local Bylaws would outline getting elected and the rules to be followed.

Gimme Danger

Some Locals have appointed BA positions, usually the large ones. The smaller Locals usually have a BA position attached to an elected position(ie. President, Secretary/Treasurer, etc). The Local Bylaws would outline getting elected and the rules to be followed.

If a local had elected BAs before 1982, then it has elected BAs.