Becoming a BA Working for the Union

john chesney

It’s all political I’ve seen some people get appointed as a business agent. One who even crossed the picket line during our last strike. Yes he is now a business agent by being appointed
If that’s true that’s disgusting.I would form a slate and run against them on that fact alone

john chesney

Times have changed. Younger members feel entitled and have little to no respect for seniority or the Union structure. It's a constant ME, ME, ME. Members expect you to be on call 24/7. Family life suffers, marriage suffers, health suffers. Plus some BAs are at will employees. So BAs dont have the protection of an Union contract, you can get fired anything by the Principal Officer. I started as a steward in Freight before all the crazy deregulation. Worked my way for PT, to FT to driver then BA. Decided after awhile, it wasn't worth it.
It’s a tough job it’s in your head 24 hours a day.

john chesney

I'm......really not. Instead if I could make a difference here cracking eggs, even if just one was grateful for it, I'd be on it. No C.M. buddy-buddying from me.
I get the feeling you’re not really ready to be a business agent yet. Become a steward with a great reputation for at least 10 years and when a slate is formed you will get asked.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I’ve seen a retiring BA appoint or highly recommend a steward to BA who just so happened to be his really good friend, it happens. Not all BAs are elected, some are hired.

A retiring BA could recommend a replacement, in Locals that appoint the position.

The Local Union Executive Board would have to approve it.

I don't like that practice. But, if it's in the Local Union bylaws....so be it.

Personally, I like the electoral process.

It's more of a "true" indicator of the (voting) members preference.

I've never seen a TDU (lying POS) do better than me.

FACT

-Bug-

BigBrown1234

Our Local circumvents Electing by waiting until right after an election then someone mysteriously retires (or family gets sick)
Then they get to appoint whomever (with the approval of the E board but they never oppose the recommended individuals) t
Usually family or friend (these individuals might have never even been a steward) then they become part of that slate for the next three years

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Our Local circumvents Electing by waiting until right after an election then someone mysteriously retires (or family gets sick)
Then they get to appoint whomever (with the approval of the E board but they never oppose the recommended individuals) t
Usually family or friend (these individuals might have never even been a steward) then they become part of that slate for the next three years

What Local ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I cant remember what local but it was a shocker when someone ran solo against principal officer and won

I know of one Local where that happened. Knew the guy personally.

Full slate of incumbents vs. a former BA who ran against the Local President.

I've never met you but I'll take the TDU guys in 251 over the old guard every day of the week.

I tend to paint the TDU guys with a broad brush.

I've never seen a TDU (lying POS) do better than me.

FACT

Read a little more into it. ;)

-Bug-

john chesney

I know of one Local where that happened. Knew the guy personally.

Full slate of incumbents vs. a former BA who ran against the Local President.

It might be the same one I’m thinking about can’t remember where or who but it was a shocker

I tend to paint the TDU guys with a broad brush.

Read a little more into it. ;)

-Bug-

BigBrown1234

I’m not TDU. I Love all Teamsters. I respect the mission. We are just weak now due to ignorance and the lack of motivation on the behalf of the members to get involved with Union affairs.

I’m disappointed in the Union leadership’s ability to motivate the members and educate them on the union’s mission.

In my opinion my Locals officers have lost the understanding of their oath and do not take it serious. “It is the members whom I will SERVE”-IBT Oath of office

What does “serve” represent to you?

Being PROUD you won an election with 10% of the members vote, to me is an embarrassment.