Becoming a BA Working for the Union

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How exactly does one get started into holding a full-time position in a Union office?

Have you ever been a Steward ?

That would be the place to start, to gain some experience.

The Local Bylaws would outline getting elected and the rules to be followed.

Absolutely.

You would need to be nominated by a Member in good standing, and then

have another Member "second" the motion. Pretty easy.

@sailfish

I think it's great you show an interest.

If I could make a suggestion, time under your belt as a Steward....

and more than just a few years of seniority, goes a long way.

-Bug-

Last edited:

22.34life

My local is pretty large 6,000 plus members.steward first then business agent.buisness agents are appointed by the president and the executive committee.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Statistics show that 90% of anime fans lose their ba election. Just food for thought. ;)
867DD747-5711-49D1-BAFD-A1809FD42977.jpeg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Have you ever been a Steward ?

That would be the place to start, to gain some experience.

Absolutely.

You would need to be nominated by a Member in good standing, and then

have another Member "second" the motion. Pretty easy.

@sailfish

I think it's great you show an interest.

If I could make a suggestion, time under your belt as a Steward....

and more than just a few years of seniority, goes a long way.

-Bug-
....and you must be "a member in good standings" if you are in a Local that elects their BA's like mine....

....meaning you have to have paid 24 months of continual dues, without lapse or interruption.

~Bbbl~™

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I assume a driver steward would have to be fulltime?

Our BA's are hired.

The main shop steward at my old bldg became a steward as a pt'er then continued after attaining FT.

FT and pt stewards can and do work across each others work group, when needed, but you can absolutely start pt, gain valuable experience and be of great significance to your coworkers.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you do run on a slate, you need to know if your local represents more than UPS Teamsters from other companies, or just UPS. I would recommend getting a member or two from some of the other large companies, or companies who’s members actually show to meetings, to potentially increase your vote total.

oldngray

nowhere special
BA's in my local all run on slates. About 3 different groups taking turns being in charge. Members vote one in on promises and when its just the same as before vote one of the other slates in the next election. One of the BA's will be for UPS but the others are usually from freight.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'll have to keep that in mind. Ours is probably retiring soon.

The reason I suggest that, I've just seen it too many times.

If you run and lose, run and lose, run and lose....

You become "known" as one of those people, that always loses.

Members pay attention to that.

Thankless job, I'm happier driving

Wow.

There's not a rating I can give your post.

Because.... only someone whom has held the position, would understand.

It's definitely a very negative job. But, legitimately help someone out....

and that's what keeps you coming back. Other than that, it's constant complaining.

Very few people I've seen, have not had personal relationship issues because

of the job. Myself included. It's sometimes hard, just to "turn off" the Teamster.

-Bug-

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Our BA's are hired.

The main shop steward at my old bldg became a steward as a pt'er then continued after attaining FT.

FT and pt stewards can and do work across each others work group, when needed, but you can absolutely start pt, gain valuable experience and be of great significance to your coworkers.
If you do run on a slate, you need to know if your local represents more than UPS Teamsters from other companies, or just UPS. I would recommend getting a member or two from some of the other large companies, or companies who’s members actually show to meetings, to potentially increase your vote total.
BA's in my local all run on slates. About 3 different groups taking turns being in charge. Members vote one in on promises and when its just the same as before vote one of the other slates in the next election. One of the BA's will be for UPS but the others are usually from freight.
I know ours ran on a slate the last time, but you could vote for individuals.

BigBrown1234

B.A. appointed or elected?

My Local looks like:

Elected positions.

1. Sec Treasurer (Full Time-acts as B.A.)

2. President (Full Time-acts as BA)

3. Vice President (Part Time)

4. Our B.A.s are elected (divides represented companies)

5. Trustees (Part Time)

If you run for office as a part time employee then you will maintain your regular Teamster Job

Running

If you run alone it’s impossible to win if you run alone against a slate.

Run Alone- get individual votes

SLATE- members are allowed to vote for an entire slate with one bubble (meaning every member can share that individual vote amongst their entire slate) or split one vote per position.

The only way to have a chance is if you run against an individual Incumbent and no other positions are challenged not allowing for a slate to form. Any position not challenged will be considered White Carded (maintained by the incumbent, and should not appear on the ballot.

SoCalUPS

The reason I suggest that, I've just seen it too many times.

If you run and lose, run and lose, run and lose....

You become "known" as one of those people, that always loses.

Members pay attention to that.

Wow.

There's not a rating I can give your post.

Because.... only someone whom has held the position, would understand.

It's definitely a very negative job. But, legitimately help someone out....

and that's what keeps you coming back. Other than that, it's constant complaining.

Very few people I've seen, have not had personal relationship issues because

of the job. Myself included. It's sometimes hard, just to "turn off" the Teamster.

-Bug-
Times have changed. Younger members feel entitled and have little to no respect for seniority or the Union structure. It's a constant ME, ME, ME. Members expect you to be on call 24/7. Family life suffers, marriage suffers, health suffers. Plus some BAs are at will employees. So BAs dont have the protection of an Union contract, you can get fired anything by the Principal Officer. I started as a steward in Freight before all the crazy deregulation. Worked my way for PT, to FT to driver then BA. Decided after awhile, it wasn't worth it.

Over disciplined0123

Haha. Have to go to union meetings first off become involved. If that doesn’t work. Run against them next election
It’s all political I’ve seen some people get appointed as a business agent. One who even crossed the picket line during our last strike. Yes he is now a business agent by being appointed