Becoming a Driver, Some Questions

I'm the process of becoming a driver, going on road with my Sup this week. I have a few questions, mostly concerning definition or what you vets suggest I do.

So I've been a pre loader for 1.5 years, I'm already 6th in seniority. My first Q is about seniority becoming a driver.
We have a few others qualifying to be drivers, have some that have been driving for about a year or under, I believe all are 22.4s. Is seniority for drivers all based on the day you get your 30 days in to qualify? Didn't know since I have seniority as a part time preloader if that helps me at all. There is only 1 person qualifying with me that has more time working at ups than me(local sort). The others and even 2 of the 22.4s were hired well after I gained seniority.

What are all the levels of drivers? Air, part time, 22.3, 22.4, feeders...i know there are more tiles, but if anyone could clarify them, greatly appreciated. I want to become a full time, which I know it will be a waiting game. They just had bids for full time driver spot, there was 6 people all with seniority over me. Missed signing up.

When qualified, I'm guessing Ill be a part time, fill in driver. Are there bids to become a 22.4, are they considered full time?

Any steps to take, to be properly documented(we know how UPS messes up) as I work my way up and as fast as possible? I know it's kind of a weird question.

Thank you for any information

PPH_over_9000

22.4s are guaranteed 8hrs a day. It's a full-time gig unless you choose not to demand your guarantee.

So FT seniority trumps PT. A single day of FT seniority will win out over 10 years of PT seniority. Your PT seniority date will stand until you qualify. Then your seniority will change to full-time, you'll be thrown to the bottom of the list and your seniority date becomes your 31st day of driving.

Your "part-time seniority" will still be attached to your employee number, but only entitle you to choosing vacation weeks and retaining your benefits. If I recall correctly, it won't help you for anything else.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
22.4s are guaranteed 8hrs a day. It's a full-time gig unless you choose not to demand your guarantee.

So FT seniority trumps PT. A single day of FT seniority will win out over 10 years of PT seniority. Your PT seniority date will stand until you qualify. Then your seniority will change to full-time, you'll be thrown to the bottom of the list and your seniority date becomes your 31st day of driving.

Your "part-time seniority" will still be attached to your employee number, but only entitle you to choosing vacation weeks and retaining your benefits. If I recall correctly, it won't help you for anything else.
In my local after qualifying, our seniority date changes back to the first day of Integrad or class.

meritocracy

I'm the process of becoming a driver, going on road with my Sup this week. I have a few questions, mostly concerning definition or what you vets suggest I do.

So I've been a pre loader for 1.5 years, I'm already 6th in seniority. My first Q is about seniority becoming a driver.
We have a few others qualifying to be drivers, have some that have been driving for about a year or under, I believe all are 22.4s. Is seniority for drivers all based on the day you get your 30 days in to qualify? Didn't know since I have seniority as a part time preloader if that helps me at all. There is only 1 person qualifying with me that has more time working at ups than me(local sort). The others and even 2 of the 22.4s were hired well after I gained seniority.

What are all the levels of drivers? Air, part time, 22.3, 22.4, feeders...i know there are more tiles, but if anyone could clarify them, greatly appreciated. I want to become a full time, which I know it will be a waiting game. They just had bids for full time driver spot, there was 6 people all with seniority over me. Missed signing up.

When qualified, I'm guessing Ill be a part time, fill in driver. Are there bids to become a 22.4, are they considered full time?

Any steps to take, to be properly documented(we know how UPS messes up) as I work my way up and as fast as possible? I know it's kind of a weird question.

Air driver is a part-time gig delivering air.
22.3 is FT combination of two part-time jobs. Pretty hard to become a 22.3.
22.4 is a FT driving job that pays slightly less than Regular Package Car Driver (RPCD) and can't get on the 9.5 list. You can technically be asked to work in the building if needed but I've never heard of that happening.
Feeder is the "top" driving job although lots of people never go to feeders. Feeder drivers are the ones who drive a semi truck with a trailer full of packages. The path to feeder driver depends on the local. In some places you can get a CDL and go to truck driving school on your own dime and go straight to feeder from PT inside due to the insane demand for truck drivers right now.

If you want to be a package car driver or feeder driver (eventually) make sure you're on the list to become a 22.4 and wait until your name is called. You can do air and work inside in the meantime. After becoming a 22.4 get on the list to be an RPCD.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

C1713F70-E931-446F-91DC-E7006F9E7D55.gif

Zowert

RPCD is where the money is, get in as a 22.4 then keep signing RPCD bids. It will take a while but you’ll get there eventually. Once you get that first FT paycheck as a 22.4 you’ll be hungry for more.

Some people be so negative towards other people's goals, oh well. For the rest, thank you for the info. Any bit helps, at my facility, answers vary....
Quite a few drivers who only been certified for a little over a year are 22.3. We have some guys retiring this year and shortly after, so I'm pretty much just going to grind until I get to where I want.

I ultimately would love to become a feeder, but that's a long ways away....just had a lower seniority driver become a feeder. Anything is possible, sometimes ya get lucky, other times......just sucks there are only 30 routes here.

Def don't want to be an air driver, but I know they will have me run it a few times as they do everyone here.

I have also only seen one part time driver come in to preload cuz he wasn't getting time on the road, that was only about 4 days work...other than that, never seen any driver, any rank, come in to help preload.

I do have one more question, what is the 9.5 list? Only time I ever heard it was here....

I have also only seen one part time driver come in to preload cuz he wasn't getting time on the road, that was only about 4 days work...other than that, never seen any driver, any rank, come in to help preload.

I do have one more question, what is the 9.5 list? Only time I ever heard it was here....
When you get to be an RPCD driver if you make it that far then you can ask that question again

DVIR

i qualified and my part time senority jumped multiple off the street hires. We even had some guys with 5+ years preload jump ahead of tons of guys after getting promoted so check with your shop steward

charm299

It’s a list to get on if you want to work from 9 in the morning to 5 in the evening. It’s a great list to be on