Becoming a Driver?

kmk42019

Right now Ive been at UPS for 3 weeks as a seasonal package handler during the preload shift. I was thinking about making a career as a UPS driver. What is the process, pay, and work like for a driver at UPS?

disneyworld

I'm sure the so called wait list is only assuming every person they put on road doesn't quit. If I had to guess I would say 3 out of 10 make it. Not everyone can handle it.

browniehound

Right now Ive been at UPS for 3 weeks as a seasonal package handler during the preload shift. I was thinking about making a career as a UPS driver. What is the process, pay, and work like for a driver at UPS?

Now that's a loaded question!:w00t: It all depends on your education and threshold for pain.

Here's my situation. I went to college and got a BA degree and soon decided I didn't want to pursue a career in my field. I actually discovered this in school but thought I should finish my degree. My plan was to get a part-time job at UPS for benefits and the flexible hours in regards to the 4 shifts that were availible that I could work. I was planning on going back for my masters in a different field.

About 5 months into my part-time job the first 22.3 (combo jobs) were created and I secured one. I did this for 6 months and a full-time driving job landed in my lap. Here I am, not even with 11 months seniority and I'm a full-time driver! We'll needless to say, UPS pays its package-car drivers more money than most entry-level, college degree requiring jobs.

So I stayed, always with the plan to move on someday. That was in 1999. While there are days when I hate my job (mostly because I'm physically hurting), I generally do enjoy it and have experienced much worse. I like the people I work with(drivers and management).

Now, if you're a preloader working part-time while you go to college to become an investment banker(read: filthy rich), I'd think your nuts to want to make a career here. But if, you only have a H.S. diploma, then I think this is probably the best place in the world to work.

Even though I have a college education to fall back on, I fear losing my job at UPS. You asked about pay. For example, I could be a school teacher and make $40,000 per year or work at UPS and make $70,000 (granted teachers are more respected and only work 6 hours a day!). I choose UPS for the time being. Whatever you end up doing, good luck.