Becoming a steward.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Our Ba agent has asked if I would be interested in become a steward, most of ours are older one that will retire in the next few years. What are some tips to become a good one? I am not worried about learning the Union book I can do that and know a decent amount already. More so interested into the meeting with sups and fighting people’s cases etc

542thruNthru

Our Ba agent has asked if I would be interested in become a steward, most of ours are older one that will retire in the next few years. What are some tips to become a good one? I am not worried about learning the Union book I can do that and know a decent amount already. More so interested into the meeting with sups and fighting people’s cases etc

If you're not passionate about it and ready to be basically on call for the members I would think twice about it.

Being a steward is not just some side project like people think. Takes a lot of time and work.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
If you're not passionate about it and ready to be basically on call for the members I would think twice about it.

Being a steward is not just some side project like people think. Takes a lot of time and work.
I know, I want to do it because like I said the older people are leaving that are great stewards and I think we need younger people to take interest in it and hopefully follow their footsteps to actually be good and represent the workers. It’s something I’ve thought about a while now. Don’t expect it to be easy at all but at the same time I think I would like it.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

I know, I want to do it because like I said the older people are leaving that are great stewards and I think we need younger people to take interest in it and hopefully follow their footsteps to actually be good and represent the workers. It’s something I’ve thought about a while now. Don’t expect it to be easy at all but at the same time I think I would like it.

How to deal with management can vary by area. Your best bet would be to see if you can set up something with a current shop steward after work to pick his/her brain. I hope you go to general membership meeting a lot. If not you'll need to start. Easier to talk to your BA about issues and also learn from him and other stewards there.

I know our local has a steward seminar once a year. Hopefully yours does to. I would make sure to go every year for a while if I were you.

This book is also very helpful in learning your rights.
| Labor Notes

There is much more to learn but the best advice I've read on here is... if you don't know something just say so. Don't guess. Let the member know you'll look into it right away and try and get back to the member as soon as possible with the answer.

Good luck man.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
How to deal with management can vary by area. Your best bet would be to see if you can set up something with a current shop steward after work to pick his/her brain. I hope you go to general membership meeting a lot. If not you'll need to start. Easier to talk to your BA about issues and also learn from him and other stewards there.

I know our local has a steward seminar once a year. Hopefully yours does to. I would make sure to go every year for a while if I were you.

This book is also very helpful in learning your rights.
| Labor Notes

There is much more to learn but the best advice I've read on here is... if you don't know something just say so. Don't guess. Let the member know you'll look into it right away and try and get back to the member as soon as possible with the answer.

Good luck man.
Thanks pudding!! That’s what I’m trying to do is basically shadow the current stewards and pick their brains. The management I have a decent relationship with since I’ve been there 15yrs so I know there bs and what not which I feel like will help me. They are actually selling our union building so I am not 100% sure where they hold locals right now etc but I have to look into it and start going. I know it’s a lot to learn but I think it would benefit me and I hope I can help the newer drivers too as some seem to not really care about union etc

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Get a notepad and take notes on every discipline meeting no matter how arbitrary the meeting is. Be sure to write down everything, especially take note of the supervisor writing down the discipline in the log book.

I’ve saved a couple members their jobs in center level meetings calling out my management team for not logging stuff in the discipline book.

rod

Retired 22 years
Be prepared to do everybody elses dirty work and take the heat for it. You will be amazed at how many are afraid to stand up for themselves.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Be prepared to do everybody elses dirty work and take the heat for it. You will be amazed at how many are afraid to stand up for themselves.
That’s one thing I really don’t mind is take the heat. If you would meet my wife you would know management/company are like a vacation compared to her. HA I kid I kid

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Our contract is your foundation, regardless of your feelings on the situation or your personal relationship with the effected employee, you represent the contract.

Like stated above it’s not a casual commitment and you need to be all in. You need to study the contract and never talk out your ass. If you don’t know an answer, simply say that and reassure them that you will find out.

Bottom line is that you will learn a lot and never be afraid to ask questions.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My advice is to focus on learning what you can about pay rates. Most of the issues that I have had to deal with have been payroll errors. Learn article 17 regarding penalty pay, 22 for part time pay, 40 for air pay, and 41 for full time, plus whatever your supplement and local contracts have to say about pay. Then branch out to whatever issues are most common to your building/center. Best of luck to you.