Becoming an Operations Manager

l22

What is some advice for someone thinking about becoming an operations manager from being a courier/handler - i.e. how does one go about doing it? I'm vaguely familiar with AIM but need to learn more about it. Is there anyone who could provide more info? Thanks.

Please, nothing about "don't do this whatever you do," etc. I have no comment on those things and just want some info/advice on how it is done. Thanks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What is some advice for someone thinking about becoming an operations manager from being a courier. I'm vaguely familiar with AIM but need to learn more about it. Is there anyone who could provide more info? Thanks. I know it's a very hard job - please, nothing about "don't do this whatever you do," etc. I have no comment on those things and just want some advice. Thanks.

Aim elsewhere. I'd ASSPIRE to be anything but a manager. Don't do this...whatever you do.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't know about where you are, but at my station, managers work 12-14 hours. They are overworked and underpaid like the rest of us. FedEx IS their life. Stress is a normal and it shows. They are glorified babysitters and make very few decisions on their own.

whenIgetthere

What is some advice for someone thinking about becoming an operations manager from being a courier/handler - i.e. how does one go about doing it? I'm vaguely familiar with AIM but need to learn more about it. Is there anyone who could provide more info? Thanks.

Please, nothing about "don't do this whatever you do," etc. I have no comment on those things and just want some info/advice on how it is done. Thanks.

I would say don't do it. You want to become a manager so you can make a difference, or make decisions, right? Well, not as a FedEx Op's Manager. All you will do is institute asinine one rule fits all circumstance's decisions.

Bankrupt

I don't know about where you are, but at my station, managers work 12-14 hours. They are overworked and underpaid like the rest of us. FedEx IS their life. Stress is a normal and it shows. They are glorified babysitters and make very few decisions on their own.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bankrupt

I would say don't do it. You want to become a manager so you can make a difference, or make decisions, right? Well, not as a FedEx Op's Manager. All you will do is institute asinine one rule fits all circumstance's decisions.[/QUOTE
Our sr mgr is never there, from what I've heard he's never at his other sta either. The ops mgrs all are trying to leave some have even gone back to courier. The ones left have had to work double shifts extra days etc. our sr has never run the am or pm shift to help out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

SmithBarney

I appreciate the input. If you're going to be there everyday, why not do it ?

Not because "you'll be there everyday", because even when you are not there, you are working, working from home, fielding calls, etc etc.. Now being a OpsMgr means you need to be a YES-MAN(or woman) you are told what to do and when to do it, and you say YES SIR.. you are mearly a puppet for the company head, you don't have much flexibility in actually making choices that impact the company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not because "you'll be there everyday", because even when you are not there, you are working, working from home, fielding calls, etc etc.. Now being a OpsMgr means you need to be a YES-MAN(or woman) you are told what to do and when to do it, and you say YES SIR.. you are mearly a puppet for the company head, you don't have much flexibility in actually making choices that impact the company.

You are owned by FedEx as a manager...at any level. What does he not get about this job? Some people are just created to be abused.

l22

I would say don't do it. You want to become a manager so you can make a difference, or make decisions, right? Well, not as a FedEx Op's Manager. All you will do is institute asinine one rule fits all circumstance's decisions.

No, I don't think I'll be able to make any difference or make bold decisions. From what I understand operations managers are very micromanaged by their SM and higher and just execute the decisions they're told to. I'm just looking to make more money.

Look at your manager right now. Does he/she look like they like their job??

No, not at all - it looks like they hate it. Is work supposed to be something people enjoy doing though? I have loved ones I need to support. Does anyone know the starting salary for an Ops manager - I suppose it varies by location, but am not 100% sure.

I understand I wouldn't be able to make many choices and have to be a yes man. How much does it pay starting off though lol. I need more money.

Leave your spine and morals at the door.

I can do that if it pays enough lol.

Thank you for all the replies and I do think about how bad of a job it would be, I'm just looking for more money at the moment and opportunities to be able to get into other positions within the company, since I'm already a part of it. Hope you guys still respect me lol.

Bankrupt

I don't even think they can order uniforms without approval!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bankrupt

No, I don't think I'll be able to make any difference or make bold decisions. From what I understand operations managers are very micromanaged by their SM and higher and just execute the decisions they're told to. I'm just looking to make more money.

Prob a lot less than you think, then figure in no ot prob around min wage

No, not at all - it looks like they hate it. Is work supposed to be something people enjoy doing though? I have loved ones I need to support. Does anyone know the starting salary for an Ops manager - I suppose it varies by location, but am not 100% sure.

I understand I wouldn't be able to make many choices and have to be a yes man. How much does it pay starting off though lol. I need more money.

I can do that if it pays enough lol.

Thank you for all the replies and I do think about how bad of a job it would be, I'm just looking for more money at the moment and opportunities to be able to get into other positions within the company, since I'm already a part of it. Hope you guys still respect me lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Purplepackage

Become an evening manager

Our PM manager is never there and when he is he just usually does nothing.

Meanwhile our am ops manager is working 15 hours on Mondays and even covering Saturdays even though that's usually the pm manager.....sounds like the life

l22

Become an evening manager

Our PM manager is never there and when he is he just usually does nothing.

Meanwhile our am ops manager is working 15 hours on Mondays and even covering Saturdays even though that's usually the pm manager.....sounds like the life

PM management seems like it's a bit easier than AM management, although I'm sure it has it's own set of challenges. How hard is it for an ops manager to get terminated or demoted? It seems like SFA makes no difference in determining whether or not they can stay a manager - a low score just means they need to implement some changes, give presentations, will have more micromanagement from above, etc.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
PM management seems like it's a bit easier than AM management, although I'm sure it has it's own set of challenges. How hard is it for an ops manager to get terminated or demoted? It seems like SFA makes no difference in determining whether or not they can stay a manager - a low score just means they need to implement some changes, give presentations, will have more micromanagement from above, etc.

A low SFA, at worst, just means they have to take an all expenses paid "vacation" to Memphis for retraining. It's a fun week for them.