Becoming an Operations Manager

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Become an evening manager

Our PM manager is never there and when he is he just usually does nothing.

Meanwhile our am ops manager is working 15 hours on Mondays and even covering Saturdays even though that's usually the pm manager.....sounds like the life

How many times have you seen an ops manager covering both sides of the operation while they try and fill an opening? I have seen it many times, and it can go on for a long time because it saves Fred money to have one person do the work of two.

Slave101

No, I don't think I'll be able to make any difference or make bold decisions. From what I understand operations managers are very micromanaged by their SM and higher and just execute the decisions they're told to. I'm just looking to make more money.

No, not at all - it looks like they hate it. Is work supposed to be something people enjoy doing though? I have loved ones I need to support. Does anyone know the starting salary for an Ops manager - I suppose it varies by location, but am not 100% sure.

I understand I wouldn't be able to make many choices and have to be a yes man. How much does it pay starting off though lol. I need more money.

I can do that if it pays enough lol.

Thank you for all the replies and I do think about how bad of a job it would be, I'm just looking for more money at the moment and opportunities to be able to get into other positions within the company, since I'm already a part of it. Hope you guys still respect me lol.
3500 every 2 weeks. $7k a month is pretty darn good

pkg4me

No, I don't think I'll be able to make any difference or make bold decisions. From what I understand operations managers are very micromanaged by their SM and higher and just execute the decisions they're told to. I'm just looking to make more money.

No, not at all - it looks like they hate it. Is work supposed to be something people enjoy doing though? I have loved ones I need to support. Does anyone know the starting salary for an Ops manager - I suppose it varies by location, but am not 100% sure.

I understand I wouldn't be able to make many choices and have to be a yes man. How much does it pay starting off though lol. I need more money.

I can do that if it pays enough lol.

Thank you for all the replies and I do think about how bad of a job it would be, I'm just looking for more money at the moment and opportunities to be able to get into other positions within the company, since I'm already a part of it. Hope you guys still respect me lol.

85 thousand a year

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
/is
A courier who is able and willing to work as much OT as possible can make much more cabbage than a new OPs mgr.

Yes. Many moons ago, when $45k was good money for a courier, the Ops Managers were making about 10k less, but they were tasked far more lightly than they are today.

Your current manager was/is likely:

1. A terrible courier

2. An ass-kisser/brown noser of great expertise

3. An expert "dump king" (or queen).

4. Someone who longs for control over others, but can't cut it as a cop, military officer or other position where you can abuse/control/taunt others for self-enjoyment.

5. A chronic abuser. Of themselves (eww), alcohol or drugs, their spouse, or their family.

6. A high school/GED graduate.

Am I basically saying that your manager is probably a lame-ass, sad-sack loser?

Yes, I am.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For upwards of 60 hours a week and being on call 24/7. No thanks, I have a life outside of this place.

We had an on-car who retired a year or so ago. He drove for 15 years and was in mgt for 18. His total compensation in the last few years was in the $95-100K range, if not a bit more. Yes, he worked a lot of hours, but he was also able to put his three kids through college and walk his daughter down the aisle. He is enjoying his retirement, working only when he wants to as a substitute bus driver.

box_beeyotch

We had an on-car who retired a year or so ago. He drove for 15 years and was in mgt for 18. His total compensation in the last few years was in the $95-100K range, if not a bit more. Yes, he worked a lot of hours, but he was also able to put his three kids through college and walk his daughter down the aisle. He is enjoying his retirement, working only when he wants to as a substitute bus driver.

Just imagine how much more money he would have without a wife or three kids he put through college....then he could have really enjoyed his retirement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

View attachment 36615 View attachment 36615 View attachment 36615
Just imagine how much more money he would have without a wife or three kids he put through college....then he could have really enjoyed his retirement.

...and miss out on this.....

7 days old (4).jpg

Artee

We had an on-car who retired a year or so ago. He drove for 15 years and was in mgt for 18. His total compensation in the last few years was in the $95-100K range, if not a bit more.

Wow...FedEx actually pays more in one area than UPS. After 18 years as a manager at FDX you will be above 100k. There are Ops managers that will be making that in a couple years in the higher paying markets. Most managers will start out around $60k and will work 60-70 hours a week. Raises are small the first handful of years. Maybe a $1k a year raise the first 7 years. There are couriers making 80k a year. One is closer to 100k, but she works 70 hours a week every week.

MAKAVELI

Wow...FedEx actually pays more in one area than UPS. After 18 years as a manager at FDX you will be above 100k. There are Ops managers that will be making that in a couple years in the higher paying markets. Most managers will start out around $60k and will work 60-70 hours a week. Raises are small the first handful of years. Maybe a $1k a year raise the first 7 years. There are couriers making 80k a year. One is closer to 100k, but she works 70 hours a week every week.
70 hours a week at UPS would put you well over a 100 k plus free health insurance and a fat pension.

Artee

70 hours a week at UPS would put you well over a 100 k plus free health insurance and a fat pension.

And your point is? The discussion was about manager pay. My mention of FedEx courier pay, was to piggy back on a prior post that there are couriers at FedEx making more than their managers. Has nothing to do about what a UPS hourly would make.

Goldilocks

I saw a managers check back in the 90's, it was $1700. And he had a 5 digit employee number beginning with 2. Probably hired on in 83 or 84.

Last edited: