Becoming an Operations Manager

l22

I saw a managers check back in the 90's, it was $1700. And he had a 5 digit employee number beginning with 2. Probably hired on in 83 or 84.

I don't think they make that much every week except ones who have been managers for a long time. That would be more than 88,000 k a year. I thought most ops managers make between 60-70k a year. Perhaps they have increased what they make after 10 years or so though. I'm sure there are plenty of long time friend/T couriers who make about that much (60-70k) - especially ones who work additional hours.

Goldilocks

I don't think they make that much every week except ones who have been managers for a long time. That would be more than 88,000 k a year. I thought most ops managers make between 60-70k a year. Perhaps they have increased what they make after 10 years or so though. I'm sure there are plenty of long time friend/T couriers who make about that much (60-70k) - especially ones who work additional hours.

Back then, twice a month

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No, I don't think I'll be able to make any difference or make bold decisions. From what I understand operations managers are very micromanaged by their SM and higher and just execute the decisions they're told to. I'm just looking to make more money.

Your primary concerns are safety, service, and productivity. If your workgroup makes all 3 of those goals, you're fine. If you don't make them but can show year-over-year improvement, you're pretty good. There are plenty of other things deal with (most of them administrative) but safety, service, and performance trumps everything.

You'll have to be willing to make changes to start times, routes, and so forth that won't always (or often) be popular.

Or you could be a manager at a ramp. Much easier and your biggest fear is a late plane departure that you can often blame on a station.

l22

How about being a CSA manager? What is that officially called? Is the salary the same as an Ops managers? Is it easier? Do you have to have prior CSA experience? I imagine it's not easy, but I feel like with an Ops manager you need people driving and taking care of certain issues, which is very difficult with someone calling out, etc. whereas a CSA manager primarily has to focus on keeping the front counter staffed while balancing out who is working in the office.

Artee

A lot of times you manage the CSA's and maybe the handlers and a couple couriers thrown in. You do not want to manage CSA's. Most of the time they are all women and half don't get along. Constant whining and complaining. You will hate it. I have not met anyone who liked managing CSA's.

DontThrowPackages

A lot of times you manage the CSA's and maybe the handlers and a couple couriers thrown in. You do not want to manage CSA's. Most of the time they are all women and half don't get along. Constant whining and complaining. You will hate it. I have not met anyone who liked managing CSA's.
What's with that lol? I've notices this for years, woman do not get along at all. Except for the ones whom never had boyfriends or husbands, this one can't stand that one and that one hates this one because she flirts with X courier. Catty. LOL.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I second that. The only reasons to manage CSAs are to pad your resume; to take on a big challenge; or to have a terrible experience so that your next experience seems easy by comparison. They really aren't much different from couriers or anyone else but couriers are only in the building for a small part of their day. They want to hurry up and get out on the road at the start of their shift and want to get out of the building at the end of their shift.

CSAs are there alllllllll day and usually have access to their managers alllllllll day.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I am a woman and I'd hate to manage CSA's, but because of the moodiness and cattiness. Men whine a lot more though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your primary concerns are safety, service, and productivity. If your workgroup makes all 3 of those goals, you're fine. If you don't make them but can show year-over-year improvement, you're pretty good. There are plenty of other things deal with (most of them administrative) but safety, service, and performance trumps everything.

You'll have to be willing to make changes to start times, routes, and so forth that won't always (or often) be popular.

Or you could be a manager at a ramp. Much easier and your biggest fear is a late plane departure that you can often blame on a station.

Your real primary concerns:

1. Looking good on reports (you'll quickly learn how to falsify them).

2. Kissing the ass of the station manager and MD.

3. Taking the credit for something an hourly did.

You're so full of it, Dano.

59 Dano

Your real primary concerns:

1. Looking good on reports (you'll quickly learn how to falsify them).

2. Kissing the ass of the station manager and MD.

3. Taking the credit for something an hourly did.

You're so full of it, Dano.

Which reports should be falsified, and how do you falsify them? Specifics, please.

And why don't you report this rampant falsification?

ILuvPandas

The CSA's are miserable at my sta always gossiping about other workers very stressed out one of them is a chain smoker.
I would go nuts working with them for 2 hours nevermind 8
One positive aspect of being a courier is that you don't take your boss with you.
I haven't had a check-ride in 3 years

Last edited: