Been a driver for 10 years im 32 years old and im being told im permanently disabled. NEED ADVICE

Colbtown5150

first off i hope im posting the right section so my apologies if im not, im new to brown cafe. I need some advice so here is my story, Years ago when i first started driving a slipped and fell down a flight of stairs landing on my lower back on the bottom step,long story short, herniated my L5 and was off for a year and some change, now since ive came back to work over the past 8 years my back and got worse and worse over time to the point of it effecting my job on a daily basis. I told my center manager and we had to do a new injury, did my 30 days of light duty and been on comp since middle of dec 2012,my newest MRI shows all 5 discs are herniated and i have arthritis in my lower back. Its takin a year to get approved for 1 shot. Ive had multiple issues with workers comp just getting my check, twice i went a whole month with no check and just never know if its coming or not so needless to say being hurt has caused alot of financial hardships, so now my last doc app she said that shes just gonna put me as PD basically and my QME doc is doing the same. Thats all i was told, she didnt make a follow up appointment or anything just walked out the room, since then i was approved for acupuncture which i started to do, but then last monday which is my pay day check comes and its only a quarter of what im suppose to get every 2 weeks, and says this NOTE:ENDING TTD BENEFITS, STARTING PD BENEFITS PAID BY UPS. And no one can tell me anything on what that means, i have no idea when im gonna get a check to pay my rent which is already late, dunno if im getting a check, i haven't got any info from ups about anything and now im just screwed and dunno what to do, so thought i would turn to my fellow co workers to seek some advice. I haven't gone over 104 weeks of workers comp or giving any permanent rating which would be the only reason this would happen from what ive been told, sorry if it was alot to read, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Monday morning you need to call your union local and ask to speak to your business agent (BA). He or she should be well versed on this issue or they should be able to refer you to someone who is. The UPS disability program is administered by MetLife. I would also ask if the union has an attorney familiar with the disability process on retainer. Following this phone call I would call Social Security and apply for disability benefits. My only concern is since you have not received your permanent disability rating I don't know if you are eligible to receive SSD. You will receive a monetary settlement from UPS but this will take some time. Good luck.

Indecisi0n

4eb02113678b63905b4f8aee96164b9e.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You cannot figure out all the terminology and red tape yourself in a timely manner. Get a lawyer. Apply for ssi or ssd depending on your marital situation, and income. Apply for food stamp help, everyone else gets them, someone who truly has a problem should get them. Good luck.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Google lawyers who have won lawsuits against UPS. Only chance u probably have at winning a case. And hold out as long as you can. UPS is going to drag out the lawsuit as long as it can. Put the ball in your and your lawyers court. If it takes 10 years to get what you guys want then so be it. We had a woman get into an accident and it wasnt her fault, and she almost died. UPS screwed her and gave her chump change. She should have held out and not settled. Thats their plan to hold out forever and hope you lose patience and settle for way less than you deserve. Tell them if they screw you over youll be forced to go to media outlets to expose them and tell your story of how they boned you. They dont want that exposure especially all the negative exposure they got after peak last year. Good luck and remember patience now is your best friend.

first off i hope im posting the right section so my apologies if im not, im new to brown cafe. I need some advice so here is my story, Years ago when i first started driving a slipped and fell down a flight of stairs landing on my lower back on the bottom step,long story short, herniated my L5 and was off for a year and some change, now since ive came back to work over the past 8 years my back and got worse and worse over time to the point of it effecting my job on a daily basis. I told my center manager and we had to do a new injury, did my 30 days of light duty and been on comp since middle of dec 2012,my newest MRI shows all 5 discs are herniated and i have arthritis in my lower back. Its takin a year to get approved for 1 shot. Ive had multiple issues with workers comp just getting my check, twice i went a whole month with no check and just never know if its coming or not so needless to say being hurt has caused alot of financial hardships, so now my last doc app she said that shes just gonna put me as PD basically and my QME doc is doing the same. Thats all i was told, she didnt make a follow up appointment or anything just walked out the room, since then i was approved for acupuncture which i started to do, but then last monday which is my pay day check comes and its only a quarter of what im suppose to get every 2 weeks, and says this NOTE:ENDING TTD BENEFITS, STARTING PD BENEFITS PAID BY UPS. And no one can tell me anything on what that means, i have no idea when im gonna get a check to pay my rent which is already late, dunno if im getting a check, i haven't got any info from ups about anything and now im just screwed and dunno what to do, so thought i would turn to my fellow co workers to seek some advice. I haven't gone over 104 weeks of workers comp or giving any permanent rating which would be the only reason this would happen from what ive been told, sorry if it was alot to read, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks
I hope you have retained a lawyer. This should have been the first thing you did. Also you might want him to get the ball rolling with social security.

Colbtown5150

well i want to first thank all of you for advice, and yes i have a lawyer i have had him for all my other injury's which i have had at ups, now i haven't ever had problems before with him, this time he seems to be harder to get a hold of more than ever and with all the problems ive had this time around ive just rolled with him still. The one thing that is a problems with lawyers is the delay on everything cause you cant speak to certain people about your case with is the good thing about having a lawyer and sometimes the bad. I just mainly wanted to see what my fellow drivers have heard of, or know has happened with other co workers, i do appreciate the time for the replys from everyone, Thanks