Been a driver for 10 years im 32 years old and im being told im permanently disabled. NEED ADVICE

barnyard

KTM rider
It sounds like you are never going to return to work. If your comp lawyer does not know this, make sure that he/she does and start working on a permanent settlement, including job retraining.

gingerkat

I'm going to address the permanent disability. You must be signed off by your doctor number one. If you plan on applying for Social Security Disability (SSDI), be prepared for a long wait. Since you are pretty young, you might also want to double check that you actually have enough credits to qualify. I think you do, but just look. You get 1 credit for each $4800 with a max of 4 credits per year. Once you put forth your application, you will be seen by SSDI doctors for evaluation.

Also SSDI has the strictest of all definitions of what a permanent disability is. This doesn't mean you can't go back to your usual job, this means you can't even go flip burgers at a jack in the box or bait someone's fishing pole.

I know you are in a terrible spot right now. Depending on what state you are in, if your workers comp attorney isn't doing a good job, you can fire him and get another one and he has to share that cost. In California it's a court regulated, between 10-15% only. With that being said, it's also one of the areas that gets the least amount of attention because of that. These are civil court cases and therefore not as important.

Sorry for your physical, emotional and financial pain, good luck.

HBGPreloader

Start with your BA.
Although I'm no fan of lawyers, getting them involved with your situation sooner than later certainly can't hurt.
If the disability system (which I admittedly know nothing about) is anything like our court system, your appeal can only be based upon the evidence that was introduced in the original hearing. So, if you leave something out now, it may be inadmissible later in the process.
Again though, your BA should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Junkguy

You need a good lawyer. He should be able to get your Long Term Disability or your WC started while you wait. If the WC doc said you were disabled that's good news for the short-term. I would go to another doctor and not wait on SS to send you to theirs. With enough info they will probably forgo their own doc. You should be eligible for a WC disability will pay much better than the normal SSD. Plus you will be eligible for your teamster pension if you have 10 years of credit.
Not the full amount but the amount you have accumulated to date. You are in for a long haul, I feel for you. Do not settle with UPS until everyone has looked it over. It's tempting to take some cash when you're broke but your family will need everything you can get for them. Fortunately I was able to retire (25 and out) before I attempted back surgery which may have been the worst move I ever made. I truly feel for you. Hang tough.

danvike3

Hey after reading about ur injury, I'm so sorry ups has treated this way. However, we are all just a number who works for a big company! But u need a good lawyer, and I know a dam good one, his name is :censored2:. He is in Charlotte nc, his number is :censored2:

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited by a moderator:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hey after reading about ur injury, I'm so sorry ups has treated this way. However, we are all just a number who works for a big company! But u need a good lawyer, and I know a dam good one, his name is :censored2:. He is in Charlotte nc, his number is :censored2:

Sent using BrownCafe App
Please communicate recommendations, phone numbers etc. in a private conversation instead of posting it on the public forum. Thank you.