Before Canine Attacks, Owner Tells UPS Driver, ‘Don’t Worry, It’s A Nice Dog’

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You sound like an expert. You ever had one? All of my friends have pits. Some have more than one. We even have 3 brothers between my group of friends. All with different personalities. None of which are mean. We've all had these dogs for over 5 years. Not one or anyone who I know with one has tried to bite anyone. I have encountered plenty of pits on route. I've never been bit by one. I've been bit by a large poodle and a golden retriever. Also the worst/meanest dog I've ever been around was my friends brothers golden retriever named daisy. That dog would snap and bite for no reason. I just have to say all you nay sayers of pit bulls go rescue one. My father in law was the same way. He would have killed the whole breed if it were up to him until we rescued ours. 5 years later he has completely flipped his thinking. He loves our dog more than his own.
My uncle is a veterinarian it's not that there are nice ones or mean ones. It's what the breed is capable of.

I know a driver who delivered to a house with 3 of them. He had delivered here many times. The dogs jumped up in his truck normally and he played with them almost daily.

All of a sudden 1 day they attacked. He was out for a very very long time.

Honestly the worst breed I have ever encountered is German shepards. I have had more of them try to bite me than any other breed.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
My uncle is a veterinarian it's not that there are nice ones or mean ones. It's what the breed is capable of.

I know a driver who delivered to a house with 3 of them. He had delivered here many times. The dogs jumped up in his truck normally and he played with them almost daily.

Honestly the worst breed I have ever encountered is German shepards. I have had more of them try to bite me than any other breed.
My uncle is a pediatrician, I still don't understand where your opinion comes from. From TV and YouTube videos? Also any dog can one day just up and turn. That's not pit specific. Honestly all this stuff is funny to me. My big scary looking pit is the best dog I've ever had. He's my little munchkin butt and I don't care what any of you never owned a pit but have serious opinions people think.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My uncle is a pediatrician, I still don't understand where your opinion comes from. From TV and YouTube videos? Also any dog can one day just up and turn. That's not pit specific. Honestly all this stuff is funny to me. My big scary looking pit is the best dog I've ever had. He's my little munchkin butt and I don't care what any of you never owned a pit but have serious opinions people think.
It's just a coincidence that story after story after story like this is a pit?

How many people in this thread said not surprised at all when someone said it was a pit? They have a rep for a reason. It's deserved.

I'm not saying every pit is bad but I'd never trust one there's many other breeds I'd never trust also.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Here are some picks of what a pit bull is capable of. Don't look if your squeamish along with a link showing that they attack more than ALL breeds combined. It's not YouTube, it's reality. I would personally like this breed eradicated from the earth, but I digress.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

10 point

Try a chow. They have no reverse gear.

10 point

I look at it this way.

When a Volkswagen slips out of park and rolls down hill into a house vs a garbage truck doing the same thing.

They all have the capacity to roll downhill out of the owners control but the severity of the damage caused is not even comparable.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There was a chow on a route, been there for years, never bothered us, one day it attacked. Dalmations were big for a while, they innerbred that dog with everything, because of the movie 101 dalmations. 1 and only dog that ever attacked me a dalmation rotty mix, that wont bite.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have an adorable white doberman. (in pic) people think shes a weimereiner. Shes not full blooded doby. I was warned not to adopt her because shes a "white" We watched her, we were very careful. I cannot say she would not attack somebody, but you would have to be real bad. My grandkid, the youngest, punched her in the head one day, and she just looked sad. I didnt allow that to continue of course, he got a big lesson about respect of animals. She thinks, she deduces, she looks to us when she is confused. Shes more human than animal.

10 point

There was a chow on a route, been there for years, never bothered us, one day it attacked. Dalmations were big for a while, they innerbred that dog with everything, because of the movie 101 dalmations. 1 and only dog that ever attacked me a dalmation rotty mix, that wont bite.
I walked around a house in a nice neighborhood on a warm sunny day to leave a pkg out of sight and about stepped on a large chow that was dozing in the sun.

It wasn't pretty.

Thankfully we were still using the first version of the diad (Moses's tablet of stone).

Chows are not easily intimidated, purple tongue, teeth and all.
Yowza.

bacha29

I have a relative who was a mail carrier. One day one of her coworkers was standing on the walk of a house. On theporch was this woman and one of those lock jawed little bastards. When he handed up her mail to her it struck. Gouged out his eye and tore off his lwer lip. Today in some cities if you have a dog that proves itself to be a vicious and a danger to the public you have to go down to city hall register the dog and provide proof that you have atleast $ 50,000 of liability insurance. Just how many drug dealerrs going to do that?

bacha29

I have a relative who was a mail carrier. On day he was standing on the walk. On the porch was this woman who had one of those lock jawed little bastards. When he handed up the mail to her it struck. Gouged out an eye and tore off his lower lip. I'll bet that woman didn't have a nickels worth of liability insurance.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All drug dealers have them. That is why it is important to know your area in the dark. We had a gunman on the loose tonight. I got a call from a resident who saw him. Wanted to come follow me to keep me safe . I was gone as soon as i saw the cops and canines out. I have a protection in the hood. A swing driver does not.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have a relative who was a mail carrier. On day he was standing on the walk. On the porch was this woman who had one of those lock jawed little bastards. When he handed up the mail to her it struck. Gouged out an eye and tore off his lower lip. I'll bet that woman didn't have a nickels worth of liability insurance.
Most of them wont have any house insurance which is what you would sue. The guy whos dog attacked me long ago, had none, I got zip. Missed two weeks of work, I was on my own time when it happened, ripped the bicep, muscle hanging out of my arm..... . It got loose, elderly man was chasing it, asked me to grab the chain as the dog ran by. Told me it would not bite. It did.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of them wont have any house insurance which is what you would sue. The guy whos dog attacked me long ago, had none, I got zip. Missed two weeks of work, I was on my own time when it happened, ripped the bicep, muscle hanging out of my arm..... . It got loose, elderly man was chasing it, asked me to grab the chain as the dog ran by. Told me it would not bite. It did.

If the homeowner does not have the proper insurance you could take them to small claims and get a judgement against them. Of course, getting a judgement is the easy part------getting that paid is the hard part.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If the homeowner does not have the proper insurance you could take them to small claims and get a judgement against them. Of course, getting a judgement is the easy part------getting that paid is the hard part.
He lived a few streets from me, his house was in disrepair. Apparently he owned it but had no homeowners. Did I really want to take his social security? No I didnt, sucked it up.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I always base my behaviors around dogs based on their body language and never on what the owner says. It amazes me how many times the owner says the dog won't bite but the dog is telling me something very different. It's a necessity for just being a pedestrian that going for a walk in the neighborhood. Too many people let their dogs run lose in the front yard here and the owner is nowhere in sight. So when out for a walk you have to deal with them. I have a couple of tactics that work with hostile dogs. I'll stop and face the approaching dog. Most dogs don't like being confronted. Works best with the big dogs as the little ones just bark and run circles around you. The other one tactic I use is to make some offensive cat sounds. I've had two german shepards once coming at me from someone's yard. They both stopped dead in their tracks when I did a cat hiss. Sadly, this tactic only works with about half of the dogs I have encountered. A third tactic I sometimes will use depending on the dogs body language is to turn the tables on the dog and chase the dog. The dog will then turn tail and run away. That last tactic is one I rarely use as most dog's body language tells me it's not a good idea to try. These are just tactics I'll use when out for a stroll in the neighborhood and no where else.

Last edited: