being asked to work off the clock

babsjean

I usually ask my sup if he needs me to do anything else before I punch out and he says "your all set" I punch out and then he will ask me to do some minor task that takes all of 2 minutes. I do it but it pisses me off. Can a sup do this? Do I have to comply?

Once your off the clock you`re free to go. If he thinks off something after you punch have him punch you back in. Do you have to comply? Only if your on the clock.

brownrodster

I usually ask my sup if he needs me to do anything else before I punch out and he says "your all set" I punch out and then he will ask me to do some minor task that takes all of 2 minutes. I do it but it pisses me off. Can a sup do this? Do I have to comply?

I fail to acknowledge UPS managements existence when I'm off the clock. Just walk away and ignore him.

City Driver

this isnt as cut and dry as it sounds

theres been a time or two where i have punched out, and on my way out my supervisor will call me over and ask me to help somebody lift something heavy, or something like that, and i do it if its something that minor, cuz my supervisor is a good guy

i know alot of people will disagree with it, and i know its kind of dangerous to do because if i was to strain my back at that time it would be a big deal because i was off the clock

over9five

Staff member

I would say, "No, I'm all set".

raceanoncr

Can a sup do this? Do I have to comply?

Sure they can. They can ASK you to work off the clock.

Do you HAVE to comply? Not if you're on the clock. You're done. Simple.

BUT, how far do you wanna take it? If it's only 2 min out of your time maybe you want to do it. Maybe not. You wanna keep peace or you wanna be on the radar all the time. It's up to you.

Me? They know better than to get me to do anything off the clock. There's no argument, no hassle, no problem. But they keep on tryin, even if it's a little 15 second review before I punch in.

There have been and are going to continue to have arguments here and elsewhere as to what you should and shouldn't do. There are rules written in policy books, in contract books, in simple past procedures. How far do you want to take it.

My take? You give em 2 minutes off the clock today, tomorrow, it's gonna be 5 minutes, next week, ten minutes and on and on.

Read various posts on this forum and you'll find many P/Ters and friend/Ters that are more than happy to do things off the clock, mainly to help themselves and then wonder why they get it broke off in their arse when there is a problem or get more stops or are forced to do more. So, just consider how much you want to be a "good guy" or how much you want to hold the company's feet to the fire.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
When I walked into the office yesterday, my supe wanted me read and sign the new procedures for Blockbuster Video. I said, "Oh, do you want me to clock in early?" He looks at me and says, "Are you serious?" I just smiled, he shook his head and walked away. :laughing:

That didn't make up for them sending me out 30 stops over max, though...

A

anonymous6

lots of good advice here.

you have to decide if you want to be a kiss-ass or a man?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

lots of good advice here.

you have to decide if you want to be a kiss-ass or a man?

If helping out when asked makes someone a kiss ass then please send me some lip balm. I have been asked on several occasions to deliver a LIB on my way home. Have always said yes. Does that make me less of a man?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
If helping out when asked makes someone a kiss ass then please send me some lip balm. I have been asked on several occasions to deliver a LIB on my way home. Have always said yes. Does that make me less of a man?
Doesn't make you less of a man, in my opinion. I don't know what LIB is, but if it is work you should be compensated. What would happen if you were delivering this and something happened? Think your supe would step up and say you were doing him a favor? Highly unlikely. You can tell me about how good your supes are but when the fat's about to hit the fire they are going to do what they have to do to cover their arse.

A

anonymous6

Years ago I would of agreed with you and did not mean any disrespect but this is what I have learned in many years at UPS.

If you give them an inch they will take a mile. If the supe was a friend and respected you he would tell you to get back on the clock. i;m sure you have a family and maybe extended family you have to support? What would happen if you got hurt doing them a "favor" working off the clock?

up the proverbial creek.

Management are paid a salary and have to work 100 hrs a week if need be and don't you think they may resent the fact that we are paid by the hour and don't have the same mindset? ( whatever it takes!!!) They will try to make you feel guilty if you won't do them the "favor."

This is just plain disrespect.

I still say be a man and take care of your family and follow the contract to keep it strong/ It only takes a few holes in the dike to destroy a dam.

Tony31yrs

When my kids were young and had after school activities like sports or band, I often asked for "favors" like a 9 hr day. Needless to say, I missed a lot of their activities because they couldn't get me in at a decent time while some of the runners got in at 4:30-5:00. That was when I stopped doing any favors for them off the clock. If they asked me to come to any of their pizza parties or BBQ's, I told them "Sorry, but I don't have enough time to spend with my family as it is." It was funny how they could get everyone in by 5:30 when they had something that they wanted us to go to after work that would make them look good, but sorry we can't help if you had something to do. I gave them an honest days work for an honest days wage and nothing more.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

What are you going to do when one of these deliveries on your way home comes up missing and the Sup says oh I gave that package to Upstate to deliver, He must have it, or worse he must have taken it, or any number of things that could happen along those lines.

Do you think that good guy Sup is going to take the heat or push it off on you?

If you think these guys give a damn about you then I have some ocean front property for you right here in beautiful Kansas!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What are you going to do when one of these deliveries on your way home comes up missing and the Sup says oh I gave that package to Upstate to deliver, He must have it, or worse he must have taken it, or any number of things that could happen along those lines.

Do you think that good guy Sup is going to take the heat or push it off on you?

If you think these guys give a damn about you then I have some ocean front property for you right here in beautiful Kansas!!!

The beauty of an Internet forum is the ability to learn from some members and ignore others. I will choose to ignore you as you clearly have no idea of the situation or what you are talking about.