being asked to work off the clock

TheKid

Think about it this way.....if you had of stayed on the clock, grabbed a pkg. car, done a pretrip, gone and delivered the pkg., drove back to the building, done a post trip, (probably gone over 10), and then punched out....you would have made a heck of alot more than $7.00. BTW....let me know what happens the next time you ask for a favor....like getting out early. Or do you just run your lunch and breaks ? We just love your kind around the union hall.

BTW....think about the $$ that is not going into your 401K and your pension plan when you pull a stunt like that....or is your sup. "buddy" gonna take care of you then too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Think about it this way.....if you had of stayed on the clock, grabbed a pkg. car, done a pretrip, gone and delivered the pkg., drove back to the building, done a post trip, (probably gone over 10), and then punched out....you would have made a heck of alot more than $7.00. BTW....let me know what happens the next time you ask for a favor....like getting out early. Or do you just run your lunch and breaks ? We just love your kind around the union hall.

BTW....think about the $$ that is not going into your 401K and your pension plan when you pull a stunt like that....or is your sup. "buddy" gonna take care of you then too.

What's a union hall?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am a steward in my building and recently had the opportunity to speak with the president of another (larger) local. His quote to me was..."as soon as they put a cross on the front of that building...you can start doing charity work." It does not have to be done in a confrontational manner but I am at UPS for one basic reason....to make $$$ so I can provide for my family. I show up every day and bust my a&% and expect to get paid for working....pure and simple.

I do not come here looking for justification for why I do the job the way that I do it. I do not need words in a contract to tell me if what I am doing is right or wrong. The pkg was NDA for a neighbor in the same condo complex that had refrigerate upon receipt on it so it's not as though I had to go out of my my way to deliver it. I just happened to see the pkg at the end of our belt and did what I thought was the right thing. It takes me about 10 minutes to get home and it was OT so 10 min @ $44/hr which is just over $7--I'm pretty sure I'll survive. The neighbor was very thankful that I took care of her which is all that really mattered.

BTW, we don't have a refrigerator in our bldg so this pkg would have sat until the following morning.

WWJD

TheKid

:dissapointed:
If you guys came to UPS years ago to better the world and make friends with your bosses....you are in the wrong freakin' place. Sorry to break it to you wide eyed do-gooders. Best of luck in Nirvana....please do me the courtesy of letting me know the next time you get friend&$#ed over by your boss and go running to your steward for help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

:dissapointed:If you guys came to UPS years ago to better the world and make friends with your bosses....you are in the wrong freakin' place. Sorry to break it to you wide eyed do-gooders. Best of luck in Nirvana....please do me the courtesy of letting me know the next time you get friend&$#ed over by your boss and go running to your steward for help.

Don't you mean stewart?:wink2:

Look, I really don't care what you think. Goodbye.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
:dissapointed:If you guys came to UPS years ago to better the world and make friends with your bosses....you are in the wrong freakin' place. Sorry to break it to you wide eyed do-gooders. Best of luck in Nirvana....please do me the courtesy of letting me know the next time you get friend&$#ed over by your boss and go running to your steward for help.

A lot of angst and something smells here ... sort of like teen spirit.

nirvana - smells like teen spirit

TheKid

Guys....I am somewhat new to this posting thing but I have been at UPS for 23 yrs. and I have seen alot....as I am sure you have. I am one of those stewards (not stewarts) who took the position thinking I could help people. When anyone asks me a question....the first wordout of my mouth are..."this is what I would do". A huge part of my "job" is advice. Best of luck to everyone in the future.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Guys....I am somewhat new to this posting thing but I have been at UPS for 23 yrs. and I have seen alot....as I am sure you have. I am one of those stewards (not stewarts) who took the position thinking I could help people. When anyone asks me a question....the first wordout of my mouth are..."this is what I would do". A huge part of my "job" is advice. Best of luck to everyone in the future.

Welcome to BC ... these were good posts and I respect your point of view.
Definitely a topic with lots of gray areas ... that's what makes it a good thread.

TheKid

Welcome to BC ... these were good posts and I respect your point of view.
Definitely a topic with lots of gray areas ... that's what makes it a good thread.
Nothing better than a good disagreement........what fun would it be if we all agreed. I am sure we will agree/disagree on many things in the future.

konsole

Companies pay their hourlys to do a job in the time they are scheduled to work. As soon as you are past that scheduled time and off the clock UPS is no longer paying you and no longer has authority over you, other then telling you what you "can't" do with or on company property. Its a nice beneift of knowing that when a certain time is reached you are always free to leave. Salaried employees unfortunately don't have this benefit because they have to work as long as the company wants them to. If a supervisor asked you to do something off the clock then you absolutely do not have to do it, but I think its a good idea to consider the circumstances. If its something real simple that is going to be a pain in the butt for anyone else to do then you should consider doing it. If its something a bit complex and there are other employees around that can easily do it and are still on the clock then I would say reject the request if you want and don't feel bad about it. If I feel its a reasonable request then I atleast give a serious thought.

There are 2 rivaling mentalities, between the employees and management, that have really disgusted me in the 8 years I have preloaded at UPS. One being employees who will refuse to do anything if there not getting paid for it, and the other being the company nickel and diming employees with forcing them to punch out right when that 3.5 hours is up or shortly before for employees that don't care about getting the 3.5, or telling employees they must punch out before they wash their hands, or not even changing the start time even though there are 5,000 more packages, or trying to save a couple minutes off the pick workers time by sending them home a few minutes early and hope that no missorts gets that far into the system, etc. etc.

Last edited:

happybob

Feeders
Not to bust your bubble Mr Dogooder. If I saw you taking that pacakge out the door, off the clock, I would file a grievance on your ass to make sure I get paid for the time you took to deliver that package. When the division manage found out you were delivering packages of the clock he have your supervisors ass for sure, especially after he has to pay me for that time. lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to bust your bubble Mr Dogooder. If I saw you taking that pacakge out the door, off the clock, I would file a grievance on your ass to make sure I get paid for the time you took to deliver that package. When the division manage found out you were delivering packages of the clock he have your supervisors ass for sure, especially after he has to pay me for that time. lol.

Yawn.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It appears your name is a misnomer.

although i have never been asked to do any favors off the clock yet, im sure as hell i wouldnt do it anyway, but i have been asked, "are you still on the clock" when i just punched out. thats as far as it gets really. like how the others mentioned before, UPS wont take any responsibility if i were to get into some kind of accident while doing them their free "favor"