being sent home, probation, union?

PT Car Washer

I knew a full timer who worked inside as a preloader and sorter who was completely deaf. He was limited in what jobs he could do such as never driving but UPS made sure they had a place for him in the hub. Probably as a token and make UPS good for hiring a disabled worker.
We have an Art 22.3 employee who is deaf. Midnight/preload. Been doing the job for years now.

browner89

For some reason he thought he had already passed his probation after 30 days of work. He did graduate from his trainer a while back. I will read the contract and pass on the information. Thanks!

Theres a"free period" during peak season that doesn't count towards earning seniority, everything goes on hold and should resume tomorrow actually.

Once they have made it through the 30 day period and has paid all initiation fees they'll receive their union card and it will be official. Until they officially are "in" I don't believe they have any protection on being sent home early. Once all dues are paid and they're part of the union they can request their 3.5hr guarantee for part time or 8hr guarantee for full time.

Tried to find the local supplement for you but I'm not sure which it is, have your partner ask for a handbook at work, they should have them.

Edit: Appears more accurate information regarding the "free period" has already been posted.

Damn, 70 in a 6 month period, that's rough, 30 in 90 in most areas.

(wrote this post about 3 hours ago and got distracted and didn't post until now)

Okay, so he needs to start counting his 70 days from tomorrow(1-15-15) correct? And we are only counting days worked and not business days? Do we count the days he showed up fro work but was sent home?

browner89

Okay, so he needs to start counting his 70 days from tomorrow(1-15-15) correct? And we are only counting days worked and not business days? Do we count the days he showed up fro work but was sent home?

Days worked, yes, and it sounds like starting January 1st in your supplement, someone posted stating that the western supplement free period is Oct 1st - Dec 31st. As far as being sent home, I cannot answer that, but I would assume no.

I'd guess that he would need to be clocked in and working for the day to count, thought I doubt once he's clocked in that the number of hours worked that day matter as long as he was actually clocked in the system as working.

From page 183 of the Western Region supplement (found here)

(c) - PROBATIONARY PERIOD (PART-TIME)
A new part-time employee shall attain seniority when he/she has
worked seventy (70) days within a six (6) consecutive month period.
Prior to attaining seniority, as defined in this Section, the
employee shall be considered a probationary employee and may be
discharged without such discharge being subject to the grievance
procedure. However, the Employer shall not discharge or otherwise
discipline a probationary employee for purposes of evading the
terms of this provision or to discriminate against Union members.
Upon completion of the probationary period, the employee shall be
given a seniority date as of his/her first day worked within such six
(6) month period.

Thanks for the info you guys. This seems to solve the mystery. We had assumed he had finished his probation. I guess not. So, he needs to start counting 70 works day starting Jan 1st.

browner89

30in90 is driver language., when you are going full time from a part time position.

Driver language in the west, yes, under many supplements 30 in 90 also applies to PT.

I had actually never seen 70 in 180 before this instance, then again, I haven't had a reason to read every supplement.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I knew a full timer who worked inside as a preloader and sorter who was completely deaf. He was limited in what jobs he could do such as never driving but UPS made sure they had a place for him in the hub. Probably as a token and make UPS good for hiring a disabled worker.
Same here, we have a whole damn crew of people with disabilities at my building. We even have a blind guy who unloads trailers. I wish I could think UPS does this to be a good company but we know it's to cover their ass.

HardknocksUPSer

My partner was hired by UPS as a package handler in early November. He is hearing impaired so does tend to miss information.
Our questions are he has been sent home twice this week due to lack of work. They don't call him first but instead wait until he gets there and tells him to go home. Is they anything in the union contract that prohibits this?
Also, he has not been approached by a union rep in order to join. When does that happen? He has been employed since early November so we assume he is off probation. Is that true?
Is there anywhere on line to go to see an employee handbook so I can perhaps figure out some of this?
Your partner? You called your partner a "he" and your alias is "worn out cowboy" something about this makes me think of rainbows and unicorns.. Maybe even skittles :D