Bereavement Leave

psyclone

What is the UPS policy here? I've searched on UPSers and Teamster.org, but can't seem to find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*edit* - I shoulda searched here first - question answered thanks

browndevil

Where do you live? What local? And sorry to ask but who passed away? There are a certain amount of days off for each member of family. A parent you get more than a brother-in-law

IDoLessWorkThanMost

What is the UPS policy here? I've searched on UPSers and Teamster.org, but can't seem to find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*edit* - I shoulda searched here first - question answered thanks

I'm sorry about your and your familys loss...

Hope this helps..

Members of the employee�s family means spouse, child, or step-child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.

An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee�s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee�s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

rod

Retired 22 years
yes they did - but in all fairness they always gave me as much time as I needed (after 3 days it was unpaid).

code5

We have an employee that abuses Bereavement which is unscrupulous if you ask me. His mother has died more times than I can think of and he sure has lots of siblings!

Really, its a lack of pro-active management. He is a product of our system. He thinks, if I can get away with it, anything is possible.

We have a saying here, we could take a package car and probably still not get fired.

I love the freedom that comes with a lack of management sometimes, but it makes my blood boil when people do disrepectful things like that to abuse the system.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have an employee that abuses Bereavement which is unscrupulous if you ask me. His mother has died more times than I can think of and he sure has lots of siblings!

You're kidding, right? While I know that they don't ask you to produce a corpse, I do believe that you have to show an obituary or otherwise provide proof in order to be approved and paid for the applicable time off, which depends upon where in the lineage the deceased is in your family. Now, I will probably catch a lot of flak for this next suggestion, but a quick phone call to the UPS Hotline would most certainly put an end to this abuse of a privilege which has been provided by UPS as a benefit to its' employees. I know that I would be upset if I was given extra work for an employee who was attending his mother's funeral for the third time this year.

code5

You're kidding, right? While I know that they don't ask you to produce a corpse, I do believe that you have to show an obituary or otherwise provide proof in order to be approved and paid for the applicable time off, which depends upon where in the lineage the deceased is in your family. Now, I will probably catch a lot of flak for this next suggestion, but a quick phone call to the UPS Hotline would most certainly put an end to this abuse of a privilege which has been provided by UPS as a benefit to its' employees. I know that I would be upset if I was given extra work for an employee who was attending his mother's funeral for the third time this year.

No, I'm not kidding, it has happened. I'm not even so upset about the extra work when this individual is gone, but for the mere lack of respect for people who need this benefit when a relative does pass.

MarkLaViolette

UPS Canada, Brok. Dept
Where can this be found online. I know at one time it used to be found here in Fredericton, Brokerage Dept in the Brokerage Referance Manual. Now it seems the link has been removed. Can it be found elsewhere?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what yours is in Canada. In the states, we get three days plus one extra day if you have to travel far. I'm using my first day today, I lost my mom yesterday after a long battle with cancer.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
looks like they skipped over aunts and uncles

This is easily explained.
If both my mom and dad had 8 brothers or sisters each, they all married, that's 32 aunts and uncles.
That's a lot of potential funerals.
They have to draw the line somewhere.
The lines in this instance seem reasonable.