Bernie Sanders 2016

rickyb

looks like UK did the unthinkable and got their version of bernie sanders in some kind of power. the conservatives lost majority. their PM may resign

Catatonic

Nine Lives
yea america almost had a revolution which is why FDR passed the new deal. FDR wanted a 100% top income tax bracket which would have been roughly $360,000 adjusted for inflation
You know why all this rich politicians like FDR and the Kennedy's are in favor of high taxes on wages don't you?
It's because they have a lot of wealth (stored money already taxed) and very small if any wages.
Taxing wages is how the Rich keep the poor pushed down and make the 'rest' of America pay for government programs.
Bring up taxing wealth and watch those "NIMBY's" go crazy ... I do advise doing so in a public place.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just so crazy that young people want the same free college ... that their grandparents had
This doesn't make sense ... I'm not aware of the US Government offering free college to anyone but through the GI Bill which could be considered compensation in the form of a benefit.
Please enlighten me on this point?

rickyb

This doesn't make sense ... I'm not aware of the US Government offering free college to anyone but through the GI Bill which could be considered compensation in the form of a benefit.
Please enlighten me on this point?
mustve been referring to UK.

but college was much cheaper domestically adj for inflation in the past. i think NYU was free if i remember right

Catatonic

Nine Lives
looks like UK did the unthinkable and got their version of bernie sanders in some kind of power. the conservatives lost majority. their PM may resign
Yep, she misread the voters big time.
The UK pundits were saying it was because of two reasons:
1) She is part of THE ESTABLISHMENT in UK
2) The Radical Islam attacks in UK since she called the election 7 weeks ago. (Note: The reasoning for this was not explained but everyone nodded their heads.)

I watched BBC a bit tonight since the Comey testimony was a big bust today ... much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
mustve been referring to UK.

but college was much cheaper domestically adj for inflation in the past. i think NYU was free if i remember right
Several local governments have offered free college tuition as various times in the last 50 years.
It seems it was limited to certain fields of study based on local industry needs.
Mostly Technical in nature.

Don't get me wrong ... I fully support funded college and Technical education in selected fields and Universal Healthcare (like Medicare) once the funding is in place.
For instance, no one should get government funding for English, philosophy, history and certain other unneeded fields of study with few jobs open in the real world.
Also, no government funding for housing or food or transportation ... encourage kids to live at home and go to college. Community colleges should be the first choice if within 30 miles. Etc, etc., etc.

rickyb

Several local governments have offered free college tuition as various times in the last 50 years.
It seems it was limited to certain fields of study based on local industry needs.
Mostly Technical in nature.

Don't get me wrong ... I fully support funded college and Technical education in selected fields and Universal Healthcare (like Medicare) once the funding is in place.
For instance, no one should get government funding for English, philosophy, history and certain other unneeded fields of study with few jobs open in the real world.
Also, no government funding for housing or food or transportation ... encourage kids to live at home and go to college. Community colleges should be the first choice if within 30 miles. Etc, etc., etc.
heres soemthing i thought of: would you also be against government funding of military housing, food, transportation? and if so, why?

i dont believe education solely as a means to get a job. its supposed to teach people how to think, not what to think.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) here's something i thought of: would you also be against government funding of military housing, food, transportation? and if so, why?

2) i dont believe education solely as a means to get a job. its supposed to teach people how to think, not what to think.
1) I think the Armed Forces personnel are not paid well but their benefits are pretty good. I would have no issues with the US Government 'funding of military housing, food, transportation' or for education. I think their total compensation should be commensurate with a similar job in the private industry.

2) I believe US Government funding for education should only be provided in order to get a job where there is a need.
If an individual wants to get a degree in a field other than 'where there is a need', the US Government should not be funding that study.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Now that's funny as hell ... the UK debt is worse than ours with a bleaker outlook too!
The USA use to look great but not anymore.
A countries debt as a % of GDP should be in the 33% range (where the US was before GW Bush) but the UK's is 42.3%. Even worse, the UK annual debt as a percent of GDP is 8.2%
They going to pay for it with Monopoly money?
Nobody cares. Even if you try to keep spending the exact same year to year, that is called a "cut", and you are accused of wanting to starve children, etc. We are doomed.

rickyb

Nobody cares. Even if you try to keep spending the exact same year to year, that is called a "cut", and you are accused of wanting to starve children, etc. We are doomed.
thats exactly what bill clinton did when he "reformed" (actually deformed) welfare.

rickyb

Stop posting tweets altogether. This forum is intended for your (ricky booby) personal thoughts. Adding links to support one's position is also welcome. Tweets and re-tweets are not.
i feel sorry for your grandkids; so angry! what do you do to keep the fascists at bay besides voting? channel your rage elsewhere

and btw, i could do a tweet and say 1 line or a few words or just repeat something ive already said. it doesnt make much difference

rickyb

real leadership:

Glenn Greenwald Retweeted
Will
Menaker‏ @willmenaker
4h4 hours ago

This is like Christmas in June
1f385-1f3fb.png

DB4VK-jV0AErkjL.jpg

17 replies 340 retweets 1,280 likes