Best guitar and/or drum solo

wkmac

www.appalachianuprising.net

a guy in my building helps put this on...
ive been its a great gathering of musicians..

Edd,

Thanks for bringing up bluegrass because so often overlooked are players in this genre. You wanna hear some awesome fret work, then check out the many great flat pickers amongst the bluegrass ranks.

As for drummers, another awesome drummer I don't think has been mentioned is Terry Bozzio ex Frank Zappa/ex Missing Persons drummer. Look him and his monster (as in completely excessive :happy-very:) drum kit on You Tube.

But as drummers and guitarist go, 2 that play together but also a drummer so often overlooked because he's not flashy and over the top is Nick Mason of Pink Floyd fame and of course the guitarist is David Gilmour. The drummers job first and foremost is all about time and in Nick's case he's always spot on. And the guy is just so smooth in the pocket.

Gilmour is a tone master and his mastery of the tremolo otherwise called the whammy bar is IMO legendary. He's not wild and dirty but rather sutile and in a tone chasing way. When it comes to guitar, I love virtuoso players but I also love tone chasers too.

And speaking of SRV, yes Voodoo Chile is awesome but IMO Riveria Paradise is SRV's greatest mastery. It's no secret that both Jimi and Stevie at the time of their deaths were headed in a more jazzy direction and as I listen to SRV's Lenny or Riveria Paradise or Jimi's Little Wing, I find myself sad as to what we missed out on from the greats as the years have gone by.

Now sit back and start you day right with a cup of morning coffee and this! God I love it!

And thank you Albert King and Buddy Guy (2 more greats) who hugely influenced SRV.

wkmac

Since Derek Trucks was mentioned along with the Allman Brothers, I couldn't help but think of Derek's dad, Butch and the legendary twin drum solo's that he performed back in the day with Jaimoe Johanson. I saw the Brothers in 71' in Charlotte NC. along the same timeframe as when they recorded their immortal Fillmore Live album and then again in the summer of 72' also in Charlotte. In both cases, a highlight of the show was Butch and Jaimoe on drums. Also at the 72', none other than BB King came out and played Elizabeth Reed with the Brothers. If I remember right, it was early April and it was an outdoor gig and it got cold that evening.

Ah, the good old days of $3 concert tickets, $20 oz. reefer and a goat skin bag of Boone's Farm. As the man asked, "Is this heaven?"

:happy-very:

wkmac

in my opinion best guitar is freebird and drums is godzilla by blue oyster cult

Hey Jim,

I've met Ean Evans, bassist for Skynyrd as a co-worker and he are really good friends. He (co-worker)is also good friends with Gary Rossington as well. Ean's a super individual and a couple of years ago he was tryng to record a CD at a studio that also happen to be where my kids also performed music with a youth symphony. Ean made the offer that if it worked out with the studio, he'd give me a call and let me bring my kids over to the studio to watch and hang out a bit. He is an awesome dude and since he played trumpet in the Atlanta Youth Symphony himself he's all about encouraging kids in that effort.

The reason I bring up Ean is that he is very sick and I mean really sick and it's sadly not looking good. Everyone say a little pray for Ean as right now he needs it.