Best Way To Handle Three Un-paid Days Off

rod

Retired 22 years
Notify them and if they don't approve get, just call in. Back when I was preloaded I had exams and they wouldn't give me days off to study. Tried the talk route, and they never would approve it. Just called in for 5 days that week and they never said a word.

Seriously now----did you study or party?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
cccc.jpg
LoL

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do some dumbbell shoulder press until you're sore. Tell them your shoulder is hurting you and you cannot come in for those days. Threaten them that you will take off for the whole month via workers comp, that will frighten them, at least in my building lol. Go to the doctor and let them give you a note, easy!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Notify them and if they don't approve get, just call in. Back when I was preloaded I had exams and they wouldn't give me days off to study. Tried the talk route, and they never would approve it. Just called in for 5 days that week and they never said a word.
At the very least...in my building...if you came in after calling in sick for a week without a dr note, you would be sent home and not allowed to work without a dr note saying you can return to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You called in sick 5 days in a row and no one said a word to you? I call BS.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
3 days off, you need a medical excuse. Or you would be considered no call, no show. Anywhere. You have a month to work it out with them.. Just be open and honest. Best of luck.
Good advice. The only thing I'd add is you only need a medical excuse if the supervisor requires it. If he does go to the doctor and tell them you are fine to work and that you werent sick. Say they require you to get a doctor to excuse you. Make sure that you tell her you weren't sick and that she states this. If it come to this it's unfortunate but you don't want to lie about it and youdon't need to lie. It is what it is.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Another guy that I went to high school with works on my belt and has been working here for over 6 months so I asked him where I could find a steward. His answer was "There's this one. I'd recognize his face but I don't know his name. He's a sorter."

THANKS, HOSS. So how do I get in contact with a steward?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Another guy that I went to high school with works on my belt and has been working here for over 6 months so I asked him where I could find a steward. His answer was "There's this one. I'd recognize his face but I don't know his name. He's a sorter."

THANKS, HOSS. So how do I get in contact with a steward?

Absolutely amazing!

Take a walk around your building and find the Union bulletin board. The names and numbers of all your local officials and shop stewards will be posted.

Then, get someone to read them to you.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You called in sick 5 days in a row and no one said a word to you? I call BS.

I have. Years ago. And then ran into my boss during a trip to Target wen I thought I was feeling better. Luckily he saw me when I was "crashing" and he had to help me find my wife to tell her we had to go or I was going to pass out where we were. When I got back to work Monday I told the center manager that I could get him doctors notes if needed and he said, "After seeing you Saturday night I have no doubt in my mind that you were actually sick. Don't worry about it."

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have. Years ago. And then ran into my boss during a trip to Target wen I thought I was feeling better. Luckily he saw me when I was "crashing" and he had to help me find my wife to tell her we had to go or I was going to pass out where we were. When I got back to work Monday I told the center manager that I could get him doctors notes if needed and he said, "After seeing you Saturday night I have no doubt in my mind that you were actually sick. Don't worry about it."
And The Ocscar goes to........

gottogo

I was hired early January, Was very clear with HR when I was hired that I had a late March event that I needed to attend and was told that was something to work out with my sup but it should be fine, brought it up to the Hub GM when we were introduced and was told "You work hard for me, I'll work hard for you." Asked my FT sup for the 27th and 28th of March off and he told me that was fine.

Now, I'm a loader and may be switching to sorter next week. Which obviously means that I get a new FT sup who has no idea about all this. I was talking about it to a guy who I played football with in high school and who is now a PT sup. Mentioned that I probably also needed the 26th of March off and that I needed to make sure the sorter sup was cool with it. His answer was "Just call-in. All three days." Apparently 3 days is one occurrence and you're allowed three occurrences and they reset every 90 days. Is this accurate? I'm Local 41 (Lenexa, Kansas Hub), if that matters. No negative consequences for 3 days?

Never missed a day. Never been late. Always load way above what they ask me to (in my hub, the expectation for everyone is 300 PPH.) I'm attending a military ceremony for my girlfriend, who is US Army Infantry and based in Fort Jackson, SC. I'm just kinda jumpy about it because somebody got fired for calling in 3 days at my old job. I would be calling in on Weds, Thurs, Fri. Any help would be great.