Here’s what I’m thankful for today

ManInBrown

UPS hiring me as an off the street package car driver. Been with the company a long time and when they kept me it wasn’t like it is today. It was very hard to get hired off the street. No two tier wage system like we had in the last contract. It was a lottery ticket if they kept you. Once I was hired permanent I was 100% a union employee. Almost immediately got on 9.5 and have stuck up for my rights every day since. We all bad mouth the company and don’t like certain aspects.

They’ve given me a life I could’ve never dreamed I’d have income wise. Don’t want to get into details but anyone who knew me in my late teens, early 20s, if you told them the money I made today they’d say he’s either dead, or theres no way. Thank you to the management team that gave me this job and called me back.

I’m going into work tomorrow and I’m going to make $133.56 an hour for the first 8 hours of the day, and $89.04 an hour for the remaining to do absolutely nothing. Thanks UPS.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

I’m going into work tomorrow and I’m going to make $133.56 an hour for the first 8 hours of the day

No you're not.

If you didn't go in tomorrow, you would still get your 8 hour Holiday pay. By going in tomorrow and working, you are making $89.04 an hour for all hours worked, on top of your $356.16 Holiday pay. Still, not too shabby.

If people want to say they are making triple time for working, so be it. They are not. They are making double time, time and a half or straight time, depending on your Supplement, for all hours worked, over and above the Holiday pay.

Brownwind

No you're not.

If you didn't go in tomorrow, you would still get your 8 hour Holiday pay. By going in tomorrow and working, you are making $89.04 an hour for all hours worked, on top of your $356.16 Holiday pay. Still, not too shabby.

If people want to say they are making triple time for working, so be it. They are not. They are making double time, time and a half or straight time, depending on your Supplement, for all hours worked, over and above the Holiday pay.
It’s a good opportunity for the younger ones to catch up. Us older ones enjoy the beer money

ManInBrown

No you're not.

If that’s what you took from my post,you’re clueless. The post wasn’t made as a thank you for what they are paying me tomorrow. It was a thank you for the life they’ve given me. I just added on tomorrow for craps and giggles. Carry on.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
No you're not.

Why are all your posts like a big, wet, soggy blanket? Go eat some punkin' pie and think happy thoughts.

Trucker Clock

If that’s what you took from my post,you’re clueless. The post wasn’t made as a thank you for what they are paying me tomorrow. It was a thank you for the life they’ve given me. I just added on tomorrow for craps and giggles. Carry on.

I get your post. I have said it before. UPS allows people a very good life. I'm glad for you. I just corrected an inaccuracy in your post, that's all.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
UPS only pays you what the Teamsters negotiated for you. They wouldn’t pay you nearly what you make without the Union.

You should be thanking the Teamster Union, not the crappy company.

Trucker Clock

UPS only pays you what the Teamsters negotiated for you. They wouldn’t pay you nearly what you make without the Union.

You are correct. I should have said that working at UPS, thanks to the Teamsters, affords you a nice life.

JL 0513

That's giving the Union 100% the credit when the company pays 100% of the pay and benefits. The Union deserves their credit but they arguably take a lot more money than the services they provide. Only once they pay strike pay do they ever give it back.

Over the course of the next 5 years, each full rate driver will give the Union nearly $7,000. Most of their work takes place in the last few months of the 5 year contract. Steep price for those negotiations.

Brownwind

That's giving the Union 100% the credit when the company pays 100% of the pay and benefits. The Union deserves their credit but they arguably take a lot more money than the services they provide. Only once they pay strike pay do they ever give it back.

Over the course of the next 5 years, each full rate drive will give the Union nearly $7,000. Most of their work takes place in the last few months of the 5 year contract. Steep price for those negotiations.
Do you mean collective bargaining?

Just checking are you enjoying your day off?

Thank you for your dialogue. I don’t agree with your opinion but appreciate the input

Trucker Clock

Over the course of the next 5 years, each full rate driver will give the Union nearly $7,000. Most of their work takes place in the last few months of the 5 year contract. Steep price for those negotiations.

Really?

Without the Union, we would be making $10 an hour less, or even more. Probably $15 an hour. We would not have the same pension and would have co-payments on healthcare.

We are probably making more than $2500 a month, plus better healthcare, pension, working conditions and job security. Well worth the $100 a month in Union dues.

Only once they pay strike pay do they ever give it back.

I look at the strike fund as insurance. It is there if you need it, but there are no refunds if you don't use it. I am OK with that.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

Well then put your letter in and go into management if the Teamsters aren’t doing you right. I’m sure the company will take care of a dedicated company man such as yourself